Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 04:54 PM

262 posts, read 910,652 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with Venerable Antonio Margil de Jesus, the padre that built San Jose Mission? Or can anyone direct me to someone? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 03:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
Is anyone familiar with Venerable Antonio Margil de Jesus, the padre that built San Jose Mission? Or can anyone direct me to someone? Thanks!
Go watch the movie at the multi-million dollar visitor center. Or ask one of the many extremely well paid Fed Rangers on site. They are well paid to know about this stuff. Also they have many books inside that might help. Institute of Texan Cultures has a gold mine of info and photos. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:50 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbotello View Post
I moved to San Antonio in December of 1972, from New Jersey (moved to Arizona about 10 years ago). At first, I was suffering from withdrawals from good Italian food (especially pizza).

Does anyone remember Valerio's on Broadway? They had pretty good Italian food. My girlfriend (who later became my first wife) used to eat there a lot, on Friday afternoons. They had great Veal Parmisan.

Also, I remember a pizza place on Military Drive, across from the Century South Theaters, but I can't remember the name.

Anyway, they both helped a bit with my Italian food withdrawals...

And who can forget Taco Island on Bandera Rd. Great tacos and open real late? Food places that were open late was something that was hard to find in San Antonio in the early 70'S.

There was also a drug store on the corner of South Flores & Southcross that had great ice cream sodas...
I certainly remember Valerio's neon sign of a chef spooning pasta! Another good Italian restaurant on Broadway was Naples. They had the best raviloi in town.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:13 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
I certainly remember Valerio's neon sign of a chef spooning pasta! Another good Italian restaurant on Broadway was Naples. They had the best raviloi in town.
The grandchildren of the owners re-opened Naples for a time in the late 1990s on Babcock road near Huebner. They used all the same recipes and it was pretty good. Eventually they decided to move to a more upscale location near the old one, but business wasn't so good there, apparently, and they closed down shortly afterward.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:16 PM

I have been spending a lot of time in Corpus this summer and have found a few restaurants that are still in operation there that have long since closed up in SA. They still have a K-Bob's steakhouse, two actually. One in Corpus proper and another, newer one, in Rockport.

The also have a People's restaurant. We used to have one near Ingram, it had a giant salad bar and chairs with people's shoes for feet. They are still in operation in Corpus, too. I thought both of these places closed up sop completely years ago, but they are open there now.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:28 PM

16 posts, read 51,115 times
I loved People's salad bar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I have been spending a lot of time in Corpus this summer and have found a few restaurants that are still in operation there that have long since closed up in SA. They still have a K-Bob's steakhouse, two actually. One in Corpus proper and another, newer one, in Rockport.

The also have a People's restaurant. We used to have one near Ingram, it had a giant salad bar and chairs with people's shoes for feet. They are still in operation in Corpus, too. I thought both of these places closed up sop completely years ago, but they are open there now.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breegirl View Post
I loved People's salad bar!
Found their website, but it doesn't mention the ginormous salad bar any more

Peoples Restaurant - Corpus Christi, Texas

Old 07-23-2011, 08:03 AM

409 posts, read 1,033,658 times
Anyone remember 12 star final news with Tom Ellis? Used to watch it on black and white tv.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:14 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,072,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
Yep.. forgot all about Pic a Pop. You would grab a plastic bottle tray and they walk around and choose your flavors in glass bottles. I think the trays would hold a lot of bottles- maybe 42 or 48 of them.
Remember paying a deposit on the glass bottles? As kids, my brother and I used to pick up glass bottles and turn them in for some extra change. That was REAL recycling, wasn't it?

Old 07-23-2011, 09:19 AM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Chiba57 View Post
Anyone remember 12 star final news with Tom Ellis? Used to watch it on black and white tv.
I remember 12 Star Final. The music at the beginning of the broadcast would draw you to the TV set. I liked the weathermen. I thought it was cool the way they would mark up a perfectly good map with a big black magic marker. Every day they had a new map to mark up. I remember a Jerry somebody who used to draw little cartoons. One guy used to end his forcast with "otherwise hot and dusty." Jud Ashmore alway's would say "Hug somebody, it will make you feel good."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio