Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 11:26 PM

62 posts, read 149,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I'll take your word for it!
I work there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Greyhound View Post
I work there.
Oh ! Then you have a great source at your finger tips! I was hoping for a link. But, glad to know the true namesake as it's easy to jump to conclusions. So many bases and such named for dead pilots. When you get back in the early 1900's and you hear of a pilot named W.W. White... Who'd a thunk they'd be two with that set of initials? So, again thanks for the correction.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 PM

61 posts, read 119,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Well it may be my memory but that's not the way I remember it. I knew Charles died at a young age but I didn't know it was that young. My grand father was a signature sign painter in San Antonio and was among the very few that could do gold leaf work. He knew Charles personally as he did other business men in the community. After Charles died, I remember it becoming Main Lincoln Mercury. Then Clarence Kahlig bought it and when they moved out San Pedro it became North Park. At least that's my memory of it.....but it won't be the first time I've been wrong either.

Clarence Kahlig bought the dealership from Bill Langley. Bill Langley then died in the early 90's.
SAFREAK

Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
Could be you are asking about the Witherspoon Oil Building
at the Northwest corner of Alamo and 6th........
I know this comment has nothing to do with Witherspoon, but, as I was looking through the old phone book listings I came across a gravel business owner that I am related to and would like to know what year the phone book was from 30 or 36. What a great find.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:35 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,880,235 times
Thanks for clearing it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Greyhound View Post
No, that's not the namesake of W.W. White Road. The pilot in the article had the same initials but did not die. If you read the caption closely, he parachuted to safety.

W. W. White Road is named for William Womack White who was a railroad man and landowner in the area. He died Sept. 8, 1935.
Last time I asked this was the best guess:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Here's a link to a WW White. A Col. in the Civil War. Don't know if it's the same person but SA is a Military town. I wonder is Col. White was ever stationed at Fort Sam?

Col. W. W. White's Official Report (OR) For The Battle Of Gettysburg

Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
I forgot all about that Church's until I read your post that jogged my memory. It was very small, if I remember correctly, there was no indoor dinning area or drive thru, just a couple of picnic tables with steel umbrellas. Who remembers The Bean Pot and Sills Snack Shack that were located futher south on Austin Highway near Terrell Hills?
I remember The Bean Pot very well. I think the beans were free with every meal. Had a lot of garlic in em. Man they would stick with you for days. I remember the old paneled walls and deer heads.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Yep, it was at the NW corner of New Laredo Hwy and S.W. Military Dr. Bit the dust several years ago as I recall. Building remains I think. I remember the old vertical sign "Farrells". I'm sure I stopped by a time or two over the years. Another landmark gone.
Don't remember Farrell's but what about Capt'n Jim's out on (I think) the old Corpus Christi Hwy that ran off of SW Military ?

Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Remember when your school yard had the big dots painted on the asphalt for you to do your morning exercises on, and a cake walk ring for the "carnivals" and the dodgeball area and monkey bars??? Remember walking to school and SMELLING the rolls that the cafeteria ladies made from SCRATCH every morning and driving you CRAZY they smelled so darn good??? How bout FIGHTING for who was going to get to use that long stick with the "J hook" on it to "open the windows" at the top of each room...or who got to go and "beat the erassors" clean???!?!?!?!? OMG...the BEST time...the absolute BEST time of our lives!!! I got a transistor radio one Christmas and would go to sleep EVERY night during baseball season with that tucked under my pillow and drift off to sleep listening to the Houston Astro game on KTSA!!!!

Staying after school to clean erassors if you got talking in line ?? How about the school crossing guards with the white belts strapped across your shoulders and chest, holding the long stick with a stop sign on it,......cool stuff huh ? especially if you got picked to be a crossing guard..

I can still remember the first time I held and listened to a transistor radio, how cool was that ? You would have thought you were on the moon !!

Remember those big old fans they used to put in our class rooms to cool us off. And who could forget when the teahers would roll a TV into your classroom sitting up on a big stand for everybody so see KLRN with an educational show on,......WooooooHoooooo.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
What a perfectly simple time....NO one's parents were divorced....EVERYONE went to church...we all sat outside after dinner in lawn chairs and "visited", red rover, red rover and red light/green light games until it was time to go in....the old icecream hand crank and ALL the neighbors came over to enjoy nights...the drive in movies where you played and knew all the kids at the playground while parents would sit around and enjoy....walking to school, and home...and if it was KILLER cold, wearing slacks UNDER your dress so that you could stand it.....coming around to your school room to "read off the lunch menu and see how many were buying lunch and how many wanted milk"....even when you KNEW it by heart....riding the city bus downtown to shop at "solo Serve"...the day Kennedy was killed, the Cuban Missle crises "Drills" where they rang the bell 3 times and your ran home as fast as you could, closed all the "blinds" in the house and then laid down next to your sofa for "protection"....OMG...growing up in San Antonio WAS so magical!!!!! Would not trade it for all the tea in China!!!!
I was in the fifth grade,....Sister Mary Magdaline walked into our room and told us that President Kennedy was shot and killed......they sent us all home that day. I remember it like it was yesterday. Sad !

Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
What a perfectly simple time....NO one's parents were divorced....EVERYONE went to church...we all sat outside after dinner in lawn chairs and "visited", red rover, red rover and red light/green light games until it was time to go in....the old icecream hand crank and ALL the neighbors came over to enjoy nights...the drive in movies where you played and knew all the kids at the playground while parents would sit around and enjoy....walking to school, and home...and if it was KILLER cold, wearing slacks UNDER your dress so that you could stand it.....coming around to your school room to "read off the lunch menu and see how many were buying lunch and how many wanted milk"....even when you KNEW it by heart....riding the city bus downtown to shop at "solo Serve"...the day Kennedy was killed, the Cuban Missle crises "Drills" where they rang the bell 3 times and your ran home as fast as you could, closed all the "blinds" in the house and then laid down next to your sofa for "protection"....OMG...growing up in San Antonio WAS so magical!!!!! Would not trade it for all the tea in China!!!!

I used to ride the bus downtown to the Medical Arts Building to get my braces straightened about once a week it seemed like. And with only a dollar, I think, I had money enough to get a milk shake in the drug store down stairs..........What a life huh ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio