Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 01:13 PM

570 posts, read 1,286,640 times

Advertisements

Purchased a can of Ortho Spary for Insect & Desease Control for my Roses at a Nursery in San Antonio area (not sure if I'm allowed to say the name) Paid $13.95 plus tax.
A couple of weeks later, found the same thing at Home Depot for $6.47. Same brand - same size.

I can understand a little difference in prices at a Nursery or Garden Center vs Home Depot but my goodness that is a big difference to pay.
Needless to say, I will not be shopping there anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 01:59 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
I rarely buy anything other than plants/flowers from a nursery -Ive always found their prices to be much higher though nearly double is pretty crazy.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:23 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Well, on the other hand, if we don't support our local nurseries, Home Depot and Lowe's are likely to become our only choices. It's hard to have it both ways. I use a balance-sourcing technique--some from here, some from there. Not that I buy enough to make it matter, though.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:03 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
The nursery where you saw the item priced much higher was probably an independent business or perhaps a small chain that buys the product in very small quantities. They are going to pay a much higher price per can to the supplier for the same product than a major national chain that probably buys the product by the 18-wheeler load. Still, the price differential seems pretty extreme.

It reminds me of the time I was going down the general merchandise isle of a local grocery store that was part of a large chain. I remembered I had a broken light switch in my house that needed to be replaced. They sold the switch I needed at the store (in small quantities), but the price was $2.98. I was almost certain they could be had for considerably less than that. I found the exact same switch a few days later at a major national home center for less than a dollar - 49 cents if I remember right. The only difference was the packaging. The one in the grocery store was shrink-wrapped and hanging on a shelf hook. The one in the home center had no individual packaging, and was one of many in a huge carton sitting on a wooden pallet. The manufacturer and specifications were the same as the one in the grocery store.

Even though the grocery store was part of a chain, it was an item that the home center obviously purchased in much larger quantities with cheaper packaging.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:36 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,750 times
I support the local nurseries, but I've also got to worry about the ol' pocketbook. If the price seems too high, I don't buy. I do purchase ladybugs, etc, hard to find items and plants at the local nurseries. I peruse the garden centers on a regular basis, so I know what's at the Big Box stores, how much it costs, and if the plants look good. I make a trip to the local nurseries as well, and if I like what I see, I'll get it.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:44 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
I buy all my plants at local nurseries. Other stuff, depends on what it is. A lot of what I use is organic and not available at the box stores anyway, so I go to my local nursery. In general, the plants are usually much better at the local nurseries and they know their stuff. If I needed a hose or something, I'd go to a box store (partly because they're more conveniently located for me).

Old 05-17-2009, 10:26 PM

317 posts, read 1,751,227 times
yikes! That's a crazy price mark up! I have bought a few plants at local nurseries, but only ones I could not find elsewhere, and the smallest sized plant they had. I have found most of the nurseries to be pretty expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio