Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2015, 10:52 PM

1,038 posts, read 876,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyb1115 View Post
Where is this hole in the wall? Sounds yummy!
http://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio/...nt?oid=2359107
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 02:23 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,674 times
Arcade in the Pearl.

Fabulous lunch, started with calamari and quinoa salad, both taste pleasers. I had the fried fish sandwich. also at table the pasta with duck and scallops. All were done to perfection. Finished with a baked banana desert.

The total experience was top notch.

i shy away from the Pearl, thinking it is too far to travel-maybe 3 miles, but after this lunch, we will become repeats.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:33 AM

36 posts, read 95,983 times
Pasha's at 1604 and Blanco. Great service given it was Valentine's, and the food and Turkish coffee was excellent as always. Wish it was a little cheaper, but I can't complain about the food or staff.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:27 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyb1115 View Post
Where is this hole in the wall? Sounds yummy!

Sorry for my late reply.

Here is the location that I went to:

6733 Bandera Rd, Leon Valley, TX 78238
Phone: (210) 451-5586

Well worth checking out if you like noodles, I know I will be going back.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:33 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times
GF and I went to a Valentine's dinner at the Menger. It was a combination dinner/ghost tour. The food was meh (at best), with a Western Sizzler-esque New York strip, a scoop of baked mashed potatoes, and green beans with baby carrots. Overall, very flavor-less and not at all what I was expecting. I understand that, since many others had the same exact meal (it was either steak or chicken for this meal), if that was the cause of poor quality. Any others eaten there and had same/different experiences?

--Dim

Old 03-25-2015, 09:10 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,512 times
I went to Bavarian Brauhaus for lunch and it was a mixed bag. The decor screams cheap suburban strip center finish and is by no means pleasant/warm. Service was friendly, but there were some missteps. We ordered a sampler appetizer plate of sausages and they took a very long time to come out. In fact, as we had our first bite here came our mains. Where I thought the sausages were mealy, my wife like them. For mains, my wife ordered the weiner schnitzel and I ordered the (breaded) Jaegerschnitzel. They then served my Jaeger sauce with my wife's schnitzel. After retrieving my sauce, I can say they make one hell of a schnitzel (Jaeger or plain). Seriously, the best schnitzel I have had since I was Vienna in 13 and I have had several schnitzels at highly regarded domestic German/Austrian places. The cauliflower and spatzle were forgettable, but the cold potato salad was excellent (not as good as the 1000 oaks place, but still excellent).

As far as wine, there really are no gems. It looks like they let one of the fools from Glazers or Republic pick their wine. With that said, i'll give them some credit for a dry Prum by the glass. I will also note another misstep when we ordered two different rieslings and received 1 riesling and a cabernet (nothing on the menu I would pair with that, but that is another rant).

On balance, schnitzel so good that it cured all of the missteps. I will go back when i'm craving schnitzel.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
GF and I went to a Valentine's dinner at the Menger. It was a combination dinner/ghost tour. The food was meh (at best), with a Western Sizzler-esque New York strip, a scoop of baked mashed potatoes, and green beans with baby carrots. Overall, very flavor-less and not at all what I was expecting. I understand that, since many others had the same exact meal (it was either steak or chicken for this meal), if that was the cause of poor quality. Any others eaten there and had same/different experiences?

--Dim
I went there for brunch and found the place disgusting. The food was mediocre at best and the space was not being maintained. Water stains on the ceilings. Painting that needed touch-ups. Stained carpets. Flies buzzing around a carving station. I could go on, but I would still recommend the bar downstairs for a quick drink and history.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:20 PM

1,038 posts, read 876,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
I went there for brunch and found the place disgusting. The food was mediocre at best and the space was not being maintained. Water stains on the ceilings. Painting that needed touch-ups. Stained carpets. Flies buzzing around a carving station. I could go on, but I would still recommend the bar downstairs for a quick drink and history.
What is being allowed to happen to The Menger is criminal

It could be a beautiful property

Old 03-28-2015, 05:26 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,961 times
A and A drive in on Commerce St near 24th across from Conn's. Was working in the area and went with coworkers on Thurs when they have dollar burger day. The burgers were good and the puffy tacos much better than Ray's. If I lived nearby, I would go again. Looks like a dumpy little hole in the wall, and it is, but don't let that deter you.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:18 PM

Went to Silo Oyster Bar on I-10 for lunch recently. Service was friendly, but it took 35 plus minutes to get out a 1/2 dozen oysters @ a freaking oyster bar. The waiter also forgot to bring my wife's cocktail. The service was completely disorganized from start to finish. There did not appear to be a floor manager and nobody was expediting at the pass. We regularly saw food sitting under the heat lamps for 10+ minutes. Each waiter had to make their own drinks, enter orders, and push the kitchen for their orders. It took 1.5 hours to have a simple lunch.

I'm normally a critic of Silo's (Austin Hwy & 1604 locations) food, but must say this was the first time I really liked it. Oysters were good, but pricey. The redfish entree was excellent.

The wine list was the typical crap you would expect for a high-end mass market concept. I enjoyed water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio