Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What forms of advertising would you most likely respond to?
Door hangers 2 25.00%
Letters Introducing a Local Service 6 75.00%
Door to Door Personal Soliciting (I ring the bell) 0 0%
A sign at the corner of the road as you drive in 2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 03:00 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,556,142 times

Advertisements

LOL!!!! I do totally get the math, it does make sense. These guys had a regular mower (ONE) and weedeater. And honestly, it's the most we've paid because they were the ONLY ones who EVER actually kept the appointment and came to the house. We seriously called a ton of people. Even one crew that does SEVERAL houses in the 'hood didn't show up when we called. Guess they have more biz than they can handle.

And yeah, we had a rider. When we lived in Atascosa County, our "yard" was 2 acres (that was the fenced in area ~ our place total was 40 acres, but we used a tractor to shred the stuff outta the fence), so we HAD to have a rider out there. Used it here in town for about 2 more years before it finally bit the dust. Now it's just easier to pay the teenagers, and they like having the extra pocket money.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:02 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Don't you figure in anything for purchase of new equipment/repairs besides truck payment? No vehicle maintenance, equipment maintenance? How come you're out there cuttin' lawns? The idea is less work, more money.
You said (maybe I'm wrong here) you've been in the business for 10 years...one would think you'd be off the mower by now.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:08 PM

214 posts, read 502,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Don't you figure in anything for purchase of new equipment/repairs besides truck payment? No vehicle maintenance, equipment maintenance? How come you're out there cuttin' lawns? The idea is less work, more money.
You said (maybe I'm wrong here) you've been in the business for 10 years...one would think you'd be off the mower by now.
I've never had any problem with the work. What do you do?

Our mowing stuff is not expensive. It pays for itself every time we do our route (ever 2 week it turns around). You can take a dollar out of my equation to make sure it's paid for, another couple bucks for tires, brakes, oil, and the like. Nice catch!

Old 06-19-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reallybigshoe View Post
I've never had any problem with the work. What do you do?

Our mowing stuff is not expensive. It pays for itself every time we do our route (ever 2 week it turns around). You can take a dollar out of my equation to make sure it's paid for, another couple bucks for tires, brakes, oil, and the like. Nice catch!
I'm a consultant. I have a staff of 15 that does most of my work. I travel around the world (mainly domestic lately) schmoozing clients on my own schedule. I used to do the grunt work..but I make a lot more, and work a lot less this way. 12 years in this field. I'm also a slumlord (I mean landlord).

Now, get your mower out!

Old 06-19-2009, 03:19 PM

That's good stuff. I'm not old enough to be a consultant yet (except for the occasional consulting I do as a tack-on service with construction sales). What kind of consulting do you do?

Old 06-19-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
That's good stuff. I'm not old enough to be a consultant yet (except for the occasional consulting I do as a tack-on service with construction sales). What kind of consulting do you do?
Corporate Tax...mostly foreign. It's a niche business.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:28 PM

AH an accountant. So like 'grunt' paper work. Wasn't sure what you meant.

Niche business is a good kind. It makes it easy to choose who to hire when there's only one or two I get that to some extent when I do the hand-built waterfalls, especially the ones that flow from hot tubs into pools - not a whole lot of people here know how to execute that effectively. Now Houston, that's another story...

Old 06-19-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
AH an accountant. So like 'grunt' paper work. Wasn't sure what you meant.

Niche business is a good kind. It makes it easy to choose who to hire when there's only one or two I get that to some extent when I do the hand-built waterfalls, especially the ones that flow from hot tubs into pools - not a whole lot of people here know how to execute that effectively. Now Houston, that's another story...

It's more than that...but I'll leave it alone. Back on topic...

My guys come every other week...and they have my credit card on file. Don't have to interact at all and they send me a calendar for the upcoming year in March. No issues.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 06-19-2009 at 03:52 PM..

Old 06-19-2009, 03:38 PM

Yeah that's what I find works best. I use an online service where they get an invoice in the email and can take care of it there with a credit card, e-check, or cash deposited into the account. It works good. I can also do subscription services but nobody has chosen to not have to hear from me every two weeks. Who knows, right?

How big is your lawn and how much do you pay? I'm always interested to know what the other guys are doing.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah that's what I find works best. I use an online service where they get an invoice in the email and can take care of it there with a credit card, e-check, or cash deposited into the account. It works good. I can also do subscription services but nobody has chosen to not have to hear from me every two weeks. Who knows, right?

How big is your lawn and how much do you pay? I'm always interested to know what the other guys are doing.
They also have a toll free number and answer from 7AM-7PM weekdays if I want to change the day, have an extra mow etc....

It's $33 ..not sure of footage on lawn. Average size lawn in Westcreek 78253

Show up like clockwork..been using 'em for 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio