Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:46 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,040,309 times

Advertisements

This is similar to the airport noise thread.......this Catholic home has been operating for 25 yrs. and now the people moving in and fixing up are upset that it's there????

A house has divided an East Side community - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 10:03 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times
I have to agree - I read the article this morning, and frankly find it rediculous that these folks buy a place on the cheap, THEN want to force out a facility that's been there 25 years. Do I blame 'em for not likin' the place? Absolutely not! Thing is, THEY chose to move into the area - that means they get the good w/the bad. No issue with insisting that the PD enforce any laws applicable, but to complain about the place....

TOUGH COOKIES!!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:05 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,558,454 times
I'm willing to bet that it's not the entire neighborhood complaining, but a couple of residents who stand to make money off the area - the one person quoted (apart from the Neighborhood Assn leader) was someone who "restored a number of homes" (i.e. a flipper) who is likely more concerned about the re-sale values.

I know a number of Dignowity Hill residents whose only concern is to keep their neighborhood safe, and don't have an issue with this center.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:54 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,781,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I'm willing to bet that it's not the entire neighborhood complaining, but a couple of residents who stand to make money off the area - the one person quoted (apart from the Neighborhood Assn leader) was someone who "restored a number of homes" (i.e. a flipper) who is likely more concerned about the re-sale values.

I know a number of Dignowity Hill residents whose only concern is to keep their neighborhood safe, and don't have an issue with this center.
I am also willing to bet the same too. Small number of people trying to speak for the whole neighborhood. Express News needs to knock it off with the sensationalism style reporting. I mean really?...beauty queen eating donuts and now this?

The people I know that reside in Dignowity Hill are very nice and friendly people.

If the people that go to this home for free food and services are causing trouble (loiter, fight, cuss as stated in the article) then it should be dealt by the police with so the home doesn't have be shut down.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:03 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,040,309 times
Wow, I didn't get that it was sensationalist at all. I thought both sides were presented and there was nothing combative about the article.

It will be interesting to see how it gets played out.

The beauty queen has embarrassed herself and her city, IMO. No comparison.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
In other cities with these types of facilities, the center of the complaints is often that they unabashedly provide refuge/services to illegal immigrants. I expect that card to be played eventually by the house's opponents. IMO, the article would have been much more sensational if it had gone there.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:23 PM

True enough, Bo. Guess the part that got my goat was the folks complaining about the types of people frequenting the place. Kinda like building a home under an airport flight path an' then complaining about the noise....

Old 02-27-2011, 01:31 PM

27 posts, read 42,476 times
It'll go soon...no doubt about that.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospursgojas View Post
It'll go soon...no doubt about that.
I'm afraid you're right - and more's the shame. I wouldn't want to live next/near a facility such as that - but then again, I wouldn't buy near one, then expect them to move!

Old 02-27-2011, 03:18 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,781,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I'm afraid you're right - and more's the shame. I wouldn't want to live next/near a facility such as that - but then again, I wouldn't buy near one, then expect them to move!
The interesting thing is that some of the folks running this homeless facility are not from the same area and probably feel the same as you do as stated from the article. Oh, the irony of all of this.....

"Bill Ross, a retiree who has restored several homes in Dignowity Hill, said he gets “boiling mad” about the loiterers and resents the “do-gooders” on the North Side who come to his neighborhood to minister to the homeless and then return to their cozy suburbs."

If that doesn't sound combative, then I don't know what it sounds like then.

These people (not whole neighborhood) need to quit griping and let this facility operate as it always has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio