Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:15 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
The one back in Omaha was mainly focused on teens (not children's stuff, though) - lots of Abercrombie, Hollister, Lucky jeans, etc. I'm not sure if they are all like that or not, but it seems to be targeted to a different niche than some of the other resale shops around.
That makes more sense. I didn't really pick up that niche market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 11:57 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
I'm going to run down there in a bit to drop off my 3-4 bags of stuff ( that actually ended up being 1 1/2 bags) in a bit. Will report back on what it was like.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:23 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,117,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I'm going to run down there in a bit to drop off my 3-4 bags of stuff ( that actually ended up being 1 1/2 bags) in a bit. Will report back on what it was like.
Yay!
Another note: I read your article link. Cool beans!

Old 08-09-2009, 03:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Yay!
Another note: I read your article link. Cool beans!
Thanks! I'll be writing a lot there soon so bookmark it!

The actual location is right by the Park North Target. If coming from 410 West I would turn right on Blanco and turn left on Rector and it is on the left of the Target. I've only been down in that area once since the construction has finished up and all this Park North stuff has gone up. I must say, it is a very cool area. Lots of places to eat and even more shopping.

I dropped off my bags and the girls said it would take a fews hours for them to go through them. I didn't have plans to go shopping anywhere else so I just headed home. And heads up to anyone who doesn't travel on Locke Hill Selma a lot..410 is a lot fastest then going on Locke Hill Selma.

Came home...and about an hour and a half later the girls called. I had washed all my stuff the night before but apparently they still smelled pretty smokey (my parents smoke..I don't) so they couldn't buy the stuff right then but said the stuff was cute. So, headed back and went through what they liked. It was about half. I'll go back next weekend to sell the stuff they liked.

They'll open in two weeks to sell clothing, there is still plenty of room for more clothes! They were allowing people to browse, which was nice. It was a very nice store and I would have bought several necklaces had I been able to buy then.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:28 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,117,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Thanks! I'll be writing a lot there soon so bookmark it!

The actual location is right by the Park North Target. If coming from 410 West I would turn right on Blanco and turn left on Rector and it is on the left of the Target. I've only been down in that area once since the construction has finished up and all this Park North stuff has gone up. I must say, it is a very cool area. Lots of places to eat and even more shopping.

I dropped off my bags and the girls said it would take a fews hours for them to go through them. I didn't have plans to go shopping anywhere else so I just headed home. And heads up to anyone who doesn't travel on Locke Hill Selma a lot..410 is a lot fastest then going on Locke Hill Selma.

Came home...and about an hour and a half later the girls called. I had washed all my stuff the night before but apparently they still smelled pretty smokey (my parents smoke..I don't) so they couldn't buy the stuff right then but said the stuff was cute. So, headed back and went through what they liked. It was about half. I'll go back next weekend to sell the stuff they liked.

They'll open in two weeks to sell clothing, there is still plenty of room for more clothes! They were allowing people to browse, which was nice. It was a very nice store and I would have bought several necklaces had I been able to buy then.
Good to know, Thanks!

Old 08-10-2009, 02:27 PM

616 posts, read 2,083,080 times
My friend and I took some things to Plato's Closet today and had an interesting experience - hopefully our experience will help other people know what the store buyers are looking for.

So, I'm a little...anal retentive about my wardrobe. My shoes all live in the original box, stuffed with shoe forms when not in use, and my bags all live in their protective bags they came in. I took five or six purses and five pairs of shoes. The bags were Coach, Prada and Marc Jacobs, and the shoes I think were Coach and Marni. I took my stuff up, and the girl peers into the big and announces, "we won't take any of this." I was a little taken aback, because while I was prepared for the chance that they wouldn't take anything, I wasn't prepared to have them reject everything out of hand like that.

The buyer explained to me that my bags were immediately unacceptable because they are designer labels. They have a flat policy not to take any bags that are from higher end companies like Coach, Dooney or Marc Jacobs due to their inability to authenticate them. The same problem with the Coach shoes - nearly new shoes in the original box, but they are not authenticable.

So, Pro Tip #1 : no designer labels. They will take purses that don't have labels on them, though.

Then it was my friend's turn. She recently lost a lot of weight, so she thought she would get rid of a bunch of her old denim, because on the phone they told her that they are desperate for denim. She had jeans ranging from size 14-18 - Levis, Sevens, Calvin Klein. What they DID NOT tell her on the phone is that they take nothing larger than an XL/Size 12. Whoops.

So, Pro Tip #2 and #3 are: if you have nice denim, bring it down. But only if it's in misses or juniors sizes.

From what I could see, the store is mostly aimed towards a teenage audience. If you have a teenage girl whose appetite for fashion exceeds her allowance, this would be a great place to bring her.

ETA: Since I had all of this stuff in the car, we headed up to Too Good To Be Threw, who took all my friend's denim, but couldn't take my stuff. They said it was all nice, and normally they'd take it, but they are currently drowning in purses and shoes.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:44 PM

317 posts, read 1,750,836 times
I have been in the Plato's closet stores back East, and they were aimed at teenage, junior sized girls primarily. I was not impressed.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:01 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,289,143 times
I called them the other day and perused the website......I am clearly too old (and too fat) LOL::

The lady on the phone also mentioned the clothes couldnt be older than 18 mos old (meaning they had to have been current styles within the last 18 mos)

Old 08-11-2009, 02:09 PM

140 posts, read 493,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I called them the other day and perused the website......I am clearly too old (and too fat) LOL::

The lady on the phone also mentioned the clothes couldnt be older than 18 mos old (meaning they had to have been current styles within the last 18 mos)
So by reading the posts it seems to be like Plato's is only for young girls?? I was hoping it would be young mens as well? If anyone is familiar with Houston, there is a group of shops on Westheimer in the Montrose area. They are re-sale shops (I forget the names), but American Apparell is in the same shopping area, anyways, I havnt been able to find a store like that here that caters to young men and women, anyone know of any? Thought would be a good post to ask, maybe Plato's will be that store im looking for.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:11 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,289,143 times
They sell young men's as well according to the person I spoke with over the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio