Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:39 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonapr78 View Post
I asked for help and insight not petty arrogance.
I'm pretty sure nobody is going to bother to spend any energy on helping you now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 10:44 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,195,504 times
The alarm permits (city & county) are revenue generators, nothing more. $15 ??? Heh, the city is going up to $50.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:21 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
The alarm permits (city & county) are revenue generators, nothing more. $15 ??? Heh, the city is going up to $50.
I cannot agree with anyone who thinks these permits generate money for the County or City. As anything else you have to figure in Administrative costs, Benefits, The fact that they mail you a Reminder Notice, and much more.

BCSD Deputies make a starting salary of $2411.00 per month that's plus / minus $15.00 per hour.

SAPD Probationary Officers start at $38,350.00 per year.

I know there are other add ons such as education (BS, MBA) which increase Salaries.

Not all BC Residents have Home Alarms nor do all Businesses. If you sit down and consider what it cost per Alarm Vist (Real or False) I don't think you can consider this a money maker for BC or the COSA. You have to consider the Officer's Salary,what it cost to operate that car that responds which include regular maintenance, insurance, electronic equipment, etc.

They put their lives on the line daily for minumal pay and yes I know with time comes a salary increase.

I will continue to respect what they do for my Family and pay that yearly Permit Fee without any worries.

*I know this thread has nothing to due with Officers Salaries, Benefits, etc. But what we are failing to do here is look at the Big Picture.

Last edited by wellguy; 08-23-2009 at 09:45 AM..

Old 08-23-2009, 11:10 AM

These "permits" were originally started to offset the cost of negligent alarm owners having too many false alarms causing unnecessary police responses. They are revenue generators to make up for other costs. It has nothing to do with the veracity of the officers.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
These "permits" were originally started to offset the cost of negligent alarm owners having too many false alarms causing unnecessary police responses. They are revenue generators to make up for other costs. It has nothing to do with the veracity of the officers.

Yes, I am aware of the reason of the Permitting Fees.

Please educate me and tell me what the "other costs" are.

I will agree that in City /County Governments' Peter has to pay Paul. How far can this $15.00 that BC charges go. I can tell you this that the $13.00 per year Stormwater Fee that all BC Resident's pay barely covers the cost of the Stormwater Program. This fee is charged to every (OCL) Bexar County Resident where the Alarm Permit Fee is not.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Yes, I am aware of the reason of the Permitting Fees.

Please educate me and tell me what the "other costs" are.

I will agree that in City /County Governments' Peter has to pay Paul. How far can this $15.00 that BC charges go. I can tell you this that the $13.00 per year Stormwater Fee that all BC Resident's pay barely covers the cost of the Stormwater Program. This fee is charged to every (OCL) Bexar County Resident where the Alarm Permit Fee is not.
If you know the details you wouldn't have made this post. It's the time wasted by sending one or more officers to a false alarm when they could be used for something of a higher priority. Please !!! And we're not talking Stormwater fees here, that being off topic.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:56 PM

When I asked that question it wasn't because I don't know anything, I happen to know quite a bit since I deal with several BC Departments weekly.

The Stormwater Fee example was just that. The example that a fee is paid which does not cover the cost of the program. Therefore the money generated is not a profit.

*By the way how on earth does SAPD or BCSD know when they are dispatched that an alarm is false or not? If they do send 1-2-3 cars to a location there is usually a reason.

Last edited by wellguy; 08-23-2009 at 06:43 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 09:08 PM

Some of the alarms they go to are "regulars" but they have to send patrol(s) anyway for the one time it's not false. The city is telling alarm permit holders that now YOU are going to foot the bill for false alarms. Would "revenue enhancer" work ?? The permit holders are getting off easy. The permits started with the excuse of covering the cost of false alarms. They should have put a caveat in the ordinance to make your fee commensurate with the number of false alarms one would have in the previous year.

No it's not for profit but it's money they don't have to come up with in the budget but it's still revenue and stretching here a bit you could also say it's a form of tax. They'll get their money one way or another.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,574 times
I changed security companies after renewing my annul permit. What form do I need, what process will have to go through, who do I contact?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: