Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 06:23 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,994,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
How old are you and how old is your mom?
What's it matter? I am in my mid-40s and my Mom is in her 70s, but I would do the same to make her happy! I applaud OHTX for wanting to do this...

Old 09-08-2009, 06:30 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,738 times
if its alzheimer's, you are going to have your hands full quickly. People can plateau for a bit and then change for the worse on a dime. having experience in this area, I can't recommend a gentle dog or lap cat enough. they are great when you need to re-direct your loved one.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:31 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,210,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfish View Post
If you have chickens youre gonna need a rooster right??? or else you wont get any eggs? Is that how it works? or do they have male chickens?
I know I'm a little late to party (as usual ) but just wanted to say that if you raise chickens for eggs you DO NOT want roosters. Anyone ever bought "fresh yard eggs"? That little bloody spot in the egg is from having roosters. ewwww yuck.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:16 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
You know they sell those really cheap at the supermarket, right? You can get 18 generic brand ones for like $2, you know that right?
Those eggs that you get from the super market for $2 come from an egg factory. The thing that layed them only loosely resembles a chicken and has never led the life of a chicken. Nor was it raised on a normal chicken diet. It is fed regular doses of antibiotics in it's food to keep it alive long enough to lay more eggs. In short they are a poor excuse for an egg.They are high in cholesterol and low in omgega-3 fatty acids. Eggs layed by a chicken that was allowed to be a chicken and not an egg laying machine are, on the other hand, actually good for you. I'm even somewhat suspect of the "Farm Fresh" super market eggs. Yes, they are brown, but they are all the exact same size and color. That kind of uniformity usually comes from a factory setting. Not a farm setting.

All the health benefits aside, real farm fresh eggs just taste better. The yokes are firm and yellow instead of flat and pink.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:19 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,210,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Those eggs that you get from the super market for $2 come from an egg factory. The thing that layed them only loosely resembles a chicken and has never led the life of a chicken. Nor was it raised on a normal chicken diet. It is fed regular doses of antibiotics in it's food to keep it alive long enough to lay more eggs. In short they are a poor excuse for an egg.They are high in cholesterol and low in omgega-3 fatty acids. Eggs layed by a chicken that was allowed to be a chicken and not an egg laying machine are, on the other hand, actually good for you. I'm even somewhat suspect of the "Farm Fresh" super market eggs. Yes, they are brown, but they are all the exact same size and color. That kind of uniformity usually comes from a factory setting. Not a farm setting.
True dat!!
Do they still "stack" the coops in those egg factories? ewwww.
This is making me want to get some chickens of my own now

Old 09-08-2009, 09:26 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
True dat!!
Do they still "stack" the coops in those egg factories? ewwww.
This is making me want to get some chickens of my own now
Yup. Food Inc. did a pretty good job of covering this issue and making it clear for the masses. Very, very sad and disturbing.

Every once in a while I'll see eggs at one of the farmer's markets around town.

I don't buy the eggs though b/c I am not certain of what happens to the chickens after they are spent. However, it is still a good alternative for those around town who are looking for a better tasting and more humane breakfast.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:14 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,738 times
what about the 30 million + male chicks that meet the grinder every year because they are worthless to the industry?

AFP: Baby chicks ground alive by poultry producer: activists

Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 AM

77 posts, read 263,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
On the West side, everyone has chickens.

Let me tell you though, if you get a rooster, your neighbors will hate you. They may not say it to your face... But they WILL hate you. At least some of them. Especially if you have one like we have over here that crows starting around 3am until noon... I think someone finally did something with it or to it though. Haven't heard it in months.

We USED to have chickens. i hardly see anymore!

Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 AM

627 posts, read 1,622,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post

All the health benefits aside, real farm fresh eggs just taste better. The yokes are firm and yellow instead of flat and pink.
Okay, then buy the $5.00 eggs instead then. Those are let loose and fed grains and without regular doses of antibiotics.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:33 AM

779 posts, read 1,661,159 times
Sure you can raise chickens in your backyard.....but beware, we have Chupacabra's lurking around

sorry....i couldn't resist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio