Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 12:54 AM

74 posts, read 148,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
Unless you're a techie person, you'll need someone to do it for you. You need to make sure it's someone reputable obviously.

Jailbreaking
is the unlocking equivalent on the Iphone system. Rooting is the unlocking equivalent on the Android system.

I rooted (unlocked) my HTC EVO 4g phone myself. It's extremely simple. I just went to a trusted website...downloaded a program and less than 5 minutes later my phone was unlocked and ready for me to flash it to Cricket Wireless.
To correct you if I may, actually Unlocking and Jailbreaking/Rooting your phone are two different things.

The process of Jailbreaking your iPhone or Rooting your Android phone opens full access to your phone to be able to install whatever you want and/or remove whatever you want. It's full access.

Unlocking on the other hand, opens your phone to be used on ANY GSM network in the world. Meaning the AT&T or T-Mobile phone is now able to be used on either of those networks, or go anywhere in the world and you're able to put in a sim card from any network and use it.

Your EVO 4g is not able to be unlocked because it is a CDMA phone. Unlocking can only be done to GSM phones. Only thing you can do with a CDMA phone is flash it to cricket/metro pcs. It cannot be used with any other carriers in the world unless they are CDMA and can flash the phone to their service. However outside the USA, there are only a handful of countries that support CDMA and the ones that do are also removing it from their networks because GSM is just so much easier.

And to chime in on the data speeds, yes if you unlock an iphone, or any other AT&T phone to use on T-Mobile OR VICE VERSA it will only work on that carriers EDGE network (aka 2G). So yes, unless you are on wifi, it will be slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 05:27 AM

502 posts, read 934,430 times
The iPhone business made me some nice money! Lol but now every Tom dick and Harry think they can work them. Anyhow now that the iPhone is not exclusive there are other options such as sprint, Verizon, and cricket (must get flashed)

Old 10-16-2011, 05:47 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan08 View Post
The process of Jailbreaking your iPhone or Rooting your Android phone opens full access to your phone to be able to install whatever you want and/or remove whatever you want. It's full access.

Unlocking on the other hand, opens your phone to be used on ANY GSM network in the world. Meaning the AT&T or T-Mobile phone is now able to be used on either of those networks, or go anywhere in the world and you're able to put in a sim card from any network and use it.

Your EVO 4g is not able to be unlocked because it is a CDMA phone. Unlocking can only be done to GSM phones. Only thing you can do with a CDMA phone is flash it to cricket/metro pcs.
Techically, you're correct. But essentially you're in a way unlocking the EVO. You're finding out the MSL, entering all zeros (for Cricket specifically) and unlocking "the phone" thereby enabling you to flash it, and remove stuff that you don't want from the stock ROM too. So you are "unlocking" the Sprint enabled phone (in my case) so that I can use it on Cricket.

So technically you are correct but the gist of what I said is right also.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:30 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
This company only unlocks 2G and 3G phones and not all 3G. It will depend upon your model. BE aware Apple will not repair an altered phone - at least word I heard when Jobs was alive. .

Old 10-16-2011, 08:08 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
why pay someone to unlock your phone? your service provider (assuming your bill is current) will do it for you free of charge. though others may frown upon it, when ive been asked if i could unlock a phone for someone, i always ask if the bill is current. 9 times out of 10 it is. i simply say 'give me... 30 minutes'. call up the cell provider with customer information, request unlock code, input code, bam. easy 40$ for 30 minutes of your time.

YMMV, some cell providers you need to gripe at a manager, but you WILL get your phone unlocked, free of charge.

almost any phone with a USB jack thats GSM can be unlocked without a code also. used to unlock razrs back in the day for friends, as well as help them install custom software.

/sometimes, coding can be fun

Old 10-20-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Techically, you're correct. But essentially you're in a way unlocking the EVO. You're finding out the MSL, entering all zeros (for Cricket specifically) and unlocking "the phone" thereby enabling you to flash it, and remove stuff that you don't want from the stock ROM too. So you are "unlocking" the Sprint enabled phone (in my case) so that I can use it on Cricket.

So technically you are correct but the gist of what I said is right also.
Technically the gist of what you said is correct but still not completely correct.

UNLOCKING means the phone can be used with ANY CARRIER...because it is unlocked.

What you do with a CDMA phone such as an EVO is that you FLASH it to another CDMA carrier such as Cricket. However once its flashed it can ONLY be used with Cricket, not back with sprint if you want. However when you unlock a GSM phone it can be used with the original carrier, as well as any other carrier.

FLASHING and UNLOCKING are two different things. Once flashed, the only way the phone can work on another carrier is to flash again, then another carrier flash again, then another carrier flash again, and so on and so forth.

Once a phone is unlocked, you can use it with any carrier without having to unlock again and again and again.

In any cell phone industry around the world, UNLOCKING is what is known. And GSM is what is known. Its only here in the USA where we have CDMA carriers that are so prominent and this whole flashing mess (which is very recent btw). Everywhere else in the world phones are sold already unlocked.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:56 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan08 View Post
However once its flashed it can ONLY be used with Cricket, not back with sprint if you want. However when you unlock a GSM phone it can be used with the original carrier, as well as any other carrier.
Um....NO. You CAN flash a phone "back" to Sprint from Cricket. It has been done and it's not very hard to do.

So, yes, it can be flashed back.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Um....NO. You CAN flash a phone "back" to Sprint from Cricket. It has been done and it's not very hard to do.

So, yes, it can be flashed back.
If you read my while post I mention that you can use it with different carriers but you have to keep flashing the phone over and over, where as unlocking you do not need to do anything.

Maybe my wording was a little confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio