Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you favor a light-rail system for San Antonio?
Yes 233 77.67%
No 54 18.00%
Maybe/Undecided 13 4.33%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 08:53 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I think San Antonio could get a leg up on both Houston and Dallas if they built a monorail. Nice, quiet, energy-efficient, magnetized monorail! I could totally see that happening.
Actually, I don't see that happening for SA. If anything, that will happen with Dallas, Houston, and Austin before SA. With SA's small town mentality, something like that will not happen unless things start changing radically. SA will always be behind those 4 cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 09:42 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I'll tell you the one reason I think SA should have light rail: tourists

People like travelling to places with lightrail/subways because they don't have to rent a car, won't get their car stolen, won't get lost driving around, don't have to find parking spots and won't get in a wreck, plus feeling several since they know that most tourists will be using the lightrail.

I would do a loop around downtown and connect it to the airport.
If it works fine (I don't see how it wouldn't)
I would build a line to Lackland-SeaWorld-SixFlags and one to Ft. Sam-Randolph-New Braunfels.

I bet it would pay for itself so fast, that people wouldn't believe it.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:51 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,736 times
Just like San Antonio, Austin voted down a light rail plan in 2000. Next year they hope to begin service on a brand new 32-mile track. Progressive leadership helped push forward plans.

Our mayor, city council, and VIA officials have all claimed to favor light-rail. What the heck is taking so long? We've been begging for 21st century public transportation for years, but can't even break ground on a bus-rapid transit line after years of planning. What's the status on the proposed downtown streetcar? It is really depressing to live in a metro with over 2 million people, but public transportation comparable to Odessa, TX (~100,000).

Old 11-14-2009, 08:15 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I was listening to 550AM about a week ago and they were saying that there are some serious plans to have a light-rail that would go from Lackland to Round Rock.

I think that would make Central Texas a tourist hotspot, since people could visit San Antonio, New Braunfels and Austin on a light-rail.
San Antonio's airport would have a station, since the railroad tracks run right next to it.

Lone Star Rail District | Home

Old 11-14-2009, 08:20 PM

448 posts, read 919,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Just like San Antonio, Austin voted down a light rail plan in 2000. Next year they hope to begin service on a brand new 32-mile track. Progressive leadership helped push forward plans.

Our mayor, city council, and VIA officials have all claimed to favor light-rail. What the heck is taking so long? We've been begging for 21st century public transportation for years, but can't even break ground on a bus-rapid transit line after years of planning. What's the status on the proposed downtown streetcar? It is really depressing to live in a metro with over 2 million people, but public transportation comparable to Odessa, TX (~100,000).
Let's not forget that Houston with over 6 million people just got light rail going so settle the f... down. It's gonna happen but in my opinion, I believe SA doesn't want the same b/s that's happening up Austin. And you don't know what's happening with the light rail there, do some research.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Let's not forget that Houston with over 6 million people just got light rail going so settle the f... down. It's gonna happen but in my opinion, I believe SA doesn't want the same b/s that's happening up Austin. And you don't know what's happening with the light rail there, do some research.
Yes I know about the problems (though they haven't been very public) and sly political work to get their rail passed. Houston opened their light rail 5 years ago. That was after planning began in the 1990s. Now with the 11th highest ridership in the US they are scrambling to expand by 400%!

San Antonio (city) today isn't much smaller than Houston (city) was twenty years ago and isn't showing any signs of slowing down.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:33 PM

VIA is planning an election to fund a light rail system in November 2010!

Light rail in SA : What could have been and what still can be | kens5.com | News

Old 09-25-2010, 01:57 PM

51 posts, read 101,779 times
I think SA needs it really bad.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:24 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I was listening to 550AM about a week ago and they were saying that there are some serious plans to have a light-rail that would go from Lackland to Round Rock.

I think that would make Central Texas a tourist hotspot, since people could visit San Antonio, New Braunfels and Austin on a light-rail.
San Antonio's airport would have a station, since the railroad tracks run right next to it.

Lone Star Rail District | Home

That's actually not light rail, it's commuter rail. There is a difference.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:38 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Which would be better between us and Austin? Light rail or commuter rail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio