Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 06:38 PM

693 posts, read 1,502,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
TheOriginalMrsX is correct pieceofjess. There is Health Information Management as a major (but that's 4 year degree which you can do once you're employed somewhere awesome and they have tuition reimbursement) and then there's also medical equipment tech(2 year which is also at SPC). People will like you because you've been able to fix their equipment but you will do maintenance as well. So it's part repair, part technology, part people skills (conversing with medical staff).

SPC has Health Information Technology which is two year degree. Basically medical billing and coding. If you can handle anatomy & physiology then this would be a good degree if you want to get your associates. Later if you want you can get your bachelors in it at Texas State University.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 10:55 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Does anyone know what the starting salary for a pharmacy technician is?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Does anyone know what the starting salary for a pharmacy technician is?
Here's what is on NVC's website--they currently offer a Pharmacy Tech program:

Pharmacy Technicians and Aides

I'm guessing $12-$13 an hour for San Antonio would be about normal. Probably varies slightly depending on whether you're working at a CVS vs. a hospital setting.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:46 AM

491 posts, read 1,261,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Here's what is on NVC's website--they currently offer a Pharmacy Tech program:

Pharmacy Technicians and Aides

I'm guessing $12-$13 an hour for San Antonio would be about normal. Probably varies slightly depending on whether you're working at a CVS vs. a hospital setting.
Just for informational purposes, it's $14 - $19 on the west coast. I'm getting ready to start the program in the fall. I was at Barnes & Noble this weekend and picked up one of those career guides that said it was the 18th fastest growing occupation in the country.

I'm looking for something that I can do anywhere in the country at my age. I'm tired of being limited by my job on where I want to live and it seems like Pharmacy Tech may be a good choice. It takes about 27 school weeks to complete and then a 120 hour externship.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:51 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
Just for informational purposes, it's $14 - $19 on the west coast. I'm getting ready to start the program in the fall. I was at Barnes & Noble this weekend and picked up one of those career guides that said it was the 18th fastest growing occupation in the country.

I'm looking for something that I can do anywhere in the country at my age. I'm tired of being limited by my job on where I want to live and it seems like Pharmacy Tech may be a good choice. It takes about 27 school weeks to complete and then a 120 hour externship.
You'll find that San Antonio's wages are lower than other places....they attribute it to the so-called low cost of living. (yes, I'm being sarcastic because while I understand that housing is much cheaper here, I PERSONALLY BELIEVE that our COL is rising, but man I have taken a lot of stupid grief and seen a boatload of copied and pasted info refuting MY OPINION.)

So our cost-of-living is LOW, my friend.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:46 PM

491 posts, read 1,261,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
You'll find that San Antonio's wages are lower than other places....they attribute it to the so-called low cost of living. (yes, I'm being sarcastic because while I understand that housing is much cheaper here, I PERSONALLY BELIEVE that our COL is rising, but man I have taken a lot of stupid grief and seen a boatload of copied and pasted info refuting MY OPINION.)

So our cost-of-living is LOW, my friend.
I didn't in any way want to get into the cost-of-living thing. I was just mentioning the numbers for informational purposes because I happen to have done the research and to give an idea of what Pharmacy Techs make in other parts of the country.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:10 PM

206 posts, read 464,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
SPC has Health Information Technology which is two year degree. Basically medical billing and coding. If you can handle anatomy & physiology then this would be a good degree if you want to get your associates. Later if you want you can get your bachelors in it at Texas State University.
Coding starts at about 15-16 dollars.

Whatever you do, do something that has do be done, and has to be done here, and can't be replaced by a computer, or shipped overseas. There are lots of jobs like that. Whatever you chose, keep that in mind.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:29 AM

5 posts, read 10,376 times
There is a new school opening in San Antonio...Concorde Career Colleges...they will offer an American Dental Association Dental Hygiene, Pharmacy Tech, Respitory Tech and many more programs... Concorde - Medical Assistant Training - Dental Assistant Training .... 1-800-464-1212.

The web site does not list San Antonio, because the campus does not open until May. It is located on Loop 410 and is a beautiful campus. Give them a call...

Old 03-06-2010, 06:55 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Great information everyone--thanks to all of you!!

Old 03-07-2010, 11:23 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
just remember that paying for something like this degree via a private, tech college--like the Concorde Career College--mentioned by previous poster is going to cost more than going to community college--AND your funding choices may have higher interest rates for repayment...
once you graduate or stop attending school full time, you start accruing interest on your loan and having to replay it
these loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy court either so if you can't support yourself at the job your get the degree in--you are still on the hook for what it cost you

know someone who spent over 2 yrs getting a CAD-tech certification and can't get a job--but she is certainly paying on her note...
good thing her husband has a well paying job (without a college degree)..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio