Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:34 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,994,816 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am sure this announcement will spark the usual "I know someone who can't find a job" responses; but the bottom line is that SA has weathered the economy downturn well and that fact has been recognized in the latest Forbes article Cities Where The Recession Is Easing...

Quote:
7. Metropolitan Statistical Area: San Antonio, Texas
Unemployment Rank: 2
Home Price Rank: 27
Metropolitan Gross Domestic Product Rank: 35
Three-Year Job Growth Forecast Rank: 1
Job Growth, 2007-2009 Rank: 2
Actually, Texas in general has done well, here's an excerpt...

Quote:
Good Fortune In The Lone Star State

If one state is a poster child for economic recovery, it's Texas, home to four of the 10 cities on our list. There's more to why Austin, Dallas, San Antonio and Houston are faring well than just the state's energy industry. The tech, government and education industries supplement the oil state's riches. As for housing, cities in Texas didn't see the same run-up in home prices and rampant speculation that led to the spectacular bubble burst elsewhere in the country.

"The housing market got lucky, if you want to look at it that way," says James P. Gaines, research economist at the Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University. "We didn't have excessive overbuilding, so we don't have a big overhang of unsold new homes, and because Texas has among most affordable housing in the country, the demand sustained."

Like Austin and Dallas, Houston, tied for No. 4 on the list, is expected to experience a three-year 7.03% rise in jobs. But nowhere are jobs projected to grow more than in San Antonio, where four military bases should help drive its expected 8.32% increase.
So while there may be a few individual exceptions to this, overall our fair city is doing well (as is the state) which is always great news!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 10:08 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,411,503 times
I don't know about jobs, but I do know that I spoke with a home appraiser yesterday who told me he isn't doing half of what he was this time last year. We also have quite a few homes in our immediate area that have been on the market 90 days or more. I wonder if that's just because there is so much new construction?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:48 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,666,180 times
I work in unemployment and it isnt no better...not by a long shot

Old 03-09-2010, 10:57 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,781,863 times
This article compares Texas economy to other state economies.

For example, I have spoken to people visiting from Detroit and they have mentioned that they can see a huge difference in our own economy compared to Detroit's own.

I am willing to bet someone working in unemployment here would notice a huge difference if they had to work in the same field up north like in Detroit.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:11 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
I'm glad it looks good right now,
but I like to look at farther than the next few months.

Someday that's going to change, what's the city of San Antonio doing about that?
For example, I noticed that high tech companies like to go to places where they can find a big pool of highly educated college graduates.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:48 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,408,282 times
I'd like them to also take into account, however, the "underemployed." Many businesses are getting by with many part time workers (with fewer full time workers) working them nearly 30 hours instead of giving them the extra 10 hours and making them full time with benefits.

In today's economy having "benefits" is critical and with fewer hiring full time and with "probational periods" of 90 days or more...more and more people are going without health insurance and working multiple part time jobs increasing stress, lowering morale at the workplace and the struggle with having to juggle that all.

I am fortunate though that it's not as bad as other states, don't get me wrong, but it's not all rosy either for many

Last edited by xsa210tx; 03-09-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 03-09-2010, 11:51 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,370,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Yes, I am sure this announcement will spark the usual "I know someone who can't find a job" responses; but the bottom line is that SA has weathered the economy downturn well and that fact has been recognized in the latest Forbes article Cities Where The Recession Is Easing...

Actually, Texas in general has done well, here's an excerpt...

So while there may be a few individual exceptions to this, overall our fair city is doing well (as is the state) which is always great news!

Cheers! M2
The overall picture is that the average salary in San Antonio is about $36K as apposed to other areas where the income bracket is much higher and yes...so is the COL.....but making a living based on the COL is not "making a living" at that kind of salary. $36K is considered on the LOWer end of the middle class. What does it say about jobs in the private sector?

The people I know that are unemployed recently were making quite a bit more than the average. The military jobs don't help the "civilian" population unless it's a civil service type job....which is not clarified in that statement. Last I heard right here on CD is that "civilians" are on a very long list to get government jobs. Any other good news for SA that is a bit cheerier?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:30 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,049,067 times
I just saved an arm and a leg on my auto insurance! That's cheerier...

I think that $36K average is pretty tough, better COL or not. I also don't actually believe that the average is $36K, I think it's probably a bit lower...

Old 03-09-2010, 12:44 PM

91 posts, read 260,604 times
that is great news!

U-Haul Prices as Migration Indicator

"When comparing California with Texas, U-Haul says it all. To rent a 26-foot truck oneway from San Francisco to Austin, the charge is $3,236, and yet the one-way charge for that same truck from Austin to San Francisco is just $399. Clearly what is happening is that far more people want to move from San Francisco to Austin than vice versa, so U-Haul has to pay its own employees to drive the empty trucks back from Texas."

U-Haul Prices as Migration Indicator | Newgeography.com

Old 03-09-2010, 02:28 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,246,949 times
I'm not sure how the recession in San Antonio is easing... unemployment continues to rise: Report: San Antonio unemployment spiked 0.8 percent in Jan. 2010 | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio