Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 12:51 PM

70 posts, read 363,165 times

Advertisements

Sorry this is so long!

My boyfriend and I are thinking of relocating to San Antonio (among a few others places) I have lived in the Tampa Bay area my whole life, and My Boyfriend is From NorCal. I have just become so frustrated with the whole property taxes/home insurance crisis here, which is making the state of Florida impossible to live in and maintain some quality of life. I know TX also has high Insurance rates, but from looking online the housing costs seem a lot lower (we can't touch a decent house for less than 250k & Insurance+ Flood is another 5k and taxes about 5k as well per year) I was just curious to hear some opinions on S.A and surrounding areas.

Job Market??- My BF is a Stucco Superintendent so a thriving Construction Industry would be good.
I am graduating college soon and may decide to teach, but not sure yet.

Recreation? I am a beach girl (growning up in FL) and I know SA has no beaches so I would be interested to hear on great things to do in the area.

Crime? Tampa is pretty hit or miss so I huess the same goes for SA???

Any info would be great!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 12:58 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,240,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslyn848 View Post
Job Market??- My BF is a Stucco Superintendent so a thriving Construction Industry would be good.[/quote

He should have zero problem finding work.

Recreation? I am a beach girl (growning up in FL) and I know SA has no beaches so I would be interested to hear on great things to do in the area.
In terms of water, you have the theme parks (Sea World, Six Flags, Splashtown, Schlitterbahn), the lakes (Medina, Canyon), the rivers (Comal, Guadalupe) all at your finger tip. Tuving down the river is fun. If you're thirsting for some wave action the drve to the beach is an hour and a half.

Quote:
Crime? Tampa is pretty hit or miss so I huess the same goes for SA???
Same here. Violent crime is on the decrease and the only thing on any increase is probably property crime.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:04 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,051 times
Well one thing that most people who love here will agree on is that its a big city with a small town feel. I think the population is about 1.5 million and we're like the 8th biggest city in the country but you would never know that living here. We are about 2 hours from the Texas Coast so getting to the beach is no biggie. You'll love the Hill Country which is just north of town for more water fun. Homes here are pretty cheap. I live in a 2200 sq ft house that I bought new for 105k. Check out MYSA.com real estate for some local listings.

The Construction Industry here is always booming and they are building like 3 new high schools and tens of feeder schools so teachers will be in demand.

As far as crime goes well it is a big city but the numbers are as high as other places. It depends where you live. It really is a nice place to live as long as you like hot summers.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:20 PM

Population is 2 million, 1.2 in the city.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:21 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,051 times
Correction "As far as crime goes well it is a big city but the numbers are as high as other places"

Meant to say As far as crime goes well it is a big city but the numbers ARENT as high as other places.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:22 PM

Just go back and edit your post. No need to make a correct post.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:02 PM

483 posts, read 1,562,793 times
Speaking as someone who has lived in both places, SA has about 80% of Tampa-St. Pete's population yet somehow feels less spread out because the suburbs are less extensive. In many ways the two cities are comprable in terms of shopping, education (thinking of universities here, not pre-12), and economy, but SA seems a bit cleaner and has more attractions (though fewer sports teams). Also, the surrounding hill country lends natural interest and beauty that the plains of central FL just cant match.

Like 210 said, if you long for the beach Corpus Christi is an easy 2 hour drive down I-37

Old 06-07-2007, 10:42 PM

I'd avoid Corpus and head to Port A or South Padre.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:51 PM

483 posts, read 1,562,793 times
None of those places are likely to be as nice to someone who's used to Clearwarter, but Corpus also has other stuff to do besides playing on the beach, so it would be a good place to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio