Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

San Bernardino: horrid reputation, ghetto place, cheap apartments, commute for work, Crestline

Old 06-25-2007, 01:10 AM

20 posts, read 130,378 times

Advertisements

im from the east coast,and i have a friend who lives in rancho cucamonga,but will eventually go to crestline. im considering going out there as well,ive never been there,but im well aware of the horrid reputation of san bernadino,and how ghetto the whole place is and being so close to such a violent city sounds very unnerving and dangerous. but ive seen the crestline website and it looked nice enough i suppose,and they have cheap apartments where you can get yer utilities payed too included in the rent. so im a bit torn. my friend says there is nothin to worry about because i would be living above the city but still,bernadino is rather notorious. any thought,its a long ways from where im at,and completely different from new englands way of things. at the end of the day i would have to commute for work and i will have to deal with the city in some capacity,what to do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 08:11 PM

7 posts, read 46,424 times
hello there....sounds like you are indeed torn

my fiance and I bought a house in Crestline almost a year ago now and we love it (the house, that is). the area can be dealt with too, though even Crestline has it's share of interesting citizens. we love the mountains, and I even commuted into LA until very recently in order to not live in the city. if you love the outdoors, then i think it's worth a shot for you...i'd avoid some of the restaurants in town, though, and check out Lake Arrowhead for some better options.

as for SB, it does have a bad rep, and there is something to that, but in general if you just have to go down for errands or shopping it isn't so bad. maybe check out Redlands or Ontario for work? that's what I'm in the process of doing myself, and both of those communities are much better.

let me know what other questions you have...i'm happy to help if i can

good luck!

Old 07-19-2007, 09:32 PM

871 posts, read 1,985,496 times
My husband and I had a cabin in crestline aslo. We moved down the hill to fontana only because i was with child and I found the schools and a lot of the kids up (not all) there all weirded out. As though drugs are the only thing to do up there. We as young adults ,30+, loved it. I miss it to this day. Just watch for properties that slide. a friend that still lives their told us that half the properties up their are sliding. Our old cabin eventually was sold and bought had to be rebuilt before the new owners could move in. Also a lot of people seem to to take no pride in thier property so just be aware of who your neighbors are.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:51 PM

20 posts, read 130,378 times
i want to say thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far and provided valuable information through PM's and thoughtful posts.thankfully my friend has family that lives up there so ill be down the street from them,but this will be my first time moving,and its quite an undertaking to move across the country quite literally,especially as my first move . so ive been trying to get as much information on the area as i can. my main concerns have been the fact that im going to have to commute to school,and work etc...in a very notorious city. im not trying to drive around in the hood or anything ya know,but i know im going to be commuting everyday so,i wanted peoples thoughts who have lived up there. so far the general consensus is that crestline as a whole is nice and that most folks manage driving into the northern part of SB with little to no issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties