Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:19 PM

14 posts, read 110,526 times

Advertisements

How much are you looking to pay for in rent and what exactly are you looking for in a town (outdoor activities, an art scene, the party scene with bars and such)? That might help narrow it down a little bit for you.

I would suggest Redlands, Loma Linda, only certain parts of Fontana (the north side, closer to the 210), Rancho Cucamonga, Lake Arrowhead or Big Bear if you are fine with mountain living, and even though La Verne isn't San Bernardino, it is pretty close to the boarder.

Redlands (which is my #1 choice to live) is a great community, with great schools, a great college, several great restaurants and few fun bars. There is not much for the art scene in here though. During the summers they have outdoor concerts. There is downtown area that reminds me of the small town feel and hosts a farmers market there. There is big box stores in Redlands (Target, Barnes and Noble, Home Depot, Pier 1, Babies/Toys R Us, Kohls, etc.), but that is located north of the 10 fwy. (the main freeway). It is a bit expensive, but you are paying for the small town feel, nicer victorian houses or new housing.

In Redlands, Loma Linda, Fontana and Rancho, you have quick access to the 15 fwy (which if you take north to Vegas! or south to San Diego which would be about 1 1/2 hour trip). You are also close (well, for Redlands, Loma Linda and Fontana) to the 215 and the 30/330 hwy, which if you take north, you will go into the mountains to Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead, etc (anywhere from 30mins. to 1 hour away). Small mountain communities, although Big Bear is the largest. The Bear has skiing and snowboarding, but does get very crowed during the winter time though, and during the spring and summer time it is wonderful for mountain biking, camping, hiking, etc. There are the lakes streams that are available for fishing if that is your thing.

Rancho has had a lot of development recently (Victoria Gardens, an outdoor shopping mall). There is a lot of traffic in that area, but it is pretty, although I am not too familiar with it to comment otherwise.

You would be about 1- 1/2 hours away from the beach without traffic, although you are pretty much guarnteed to hit traffic.

Honestly, air quality in all of San Bernardino county minus anything above Running Springs up in the mountains has bad air quality.

San Gabriel Valley is about 1 hour away (Pasadena, etc.) and there is always things to do there.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 10:42 PM

41 posts, read 107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omelet2000 View Post
avoid san bernaghetto and (most of) riverside. there's a cable show similar to 'cops' which focuses solely on catching vehicle thieves in these two cities. the smog in riverside is intolerable, and so is the awful traffic along the 91. there's at least 2 or 3 accidents every afternoon rush-hour, and it takes you one hour to drive the 15 miles from Corona. horrible.
First off I would like to say I agree about SB. However, regarding the air quality (and this isn't aimed at just you) I am completely clueless as to what you are talking about. Don't get me wrong, I know the statistics about pollution being the worst in SoCal, especially the the IE, but I have lived here for most of my life (born in Glendora) and honestly have never had a problem with the air. Neither has my family or anyone I have met. Sure you can see the pollution in the air, but as far as I know it doesn't affect me. Having said this, I fully understand that I will probably have lung cancer when I'm 50. But right now I'm okay.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 40,000,078 times
The pollution we top the charts with is the microparticulate stuff from diesel.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:56 AM

69 posts, read 136,869 times
Having grown up in Rialto, I would say stay away from the city. Education in this city is probably the worse in the region. When I moved here with my family as a baby, it was a smaller town with a smaller population, but from 1988 to today, the population has tripled, almost reaching 100,000. The sprawl in the city is horrible.

That being said, there are some really nice places in Fontana--in particular, the north and close to the lewis library.

As for transportation, you definitely need a car, but the metrolink can take you into LA, OC or Long Beach for $20 (overpriced), and it will take just as much time as driving.

Personally, having grown up in the suburbs, I hate living in them and would prefer a more "metropolitan" living scene. When I return to the states from Ethiopia, I can hopefully find some nice living downtown in a big city.

back on topic, Riverside's downtown is rather nice for being in the Inland Empire. And I saw a lot of development in the city before I flew out.

San Bernardino is pretty much LA/OC's trash can. All the gangs and ex-cons transplant there.

As for air quality, the smog gets pretty bad in the summer, but with good rains, it clears up in the winter and spring.

As someone said, the closer you get to LA/OC, the higher the price tag, and the further away you get, the more problems you see.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floomer99 View Post
As for air quality, the smog gets pretty bad in the summer, but with good rains, it clears up in the winter and spring.
It also clears up whenever the Santa Ana winds blow... and they blow a lot more often than rain happens.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:23 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,455,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It also clears up whenever the Santa Ana winds blow... and they blow a lot more often than rain happens.
That's one of the big differences here in Oklahoma compared to SoCal. Fresh clean air and no smoggy skies like I seen for 25 yr's in SanBerdo. Also, no Illegals.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Also, no Illegals.
Hogwash. You're not looking in the right places.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Hogwash. You're not looking in the right places.
There may be some but if so, they're deep in hidding. Ok has(immigration Bill) HB 1804 and it's enforced.
Unlike SoCal, you won't find illegals working in every store you walk into in OK.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:10 AM

69 posts, read 136,869 times
Another note about the IE, we are probably one of the only areas in the country that has "Wind Days" where the schools close down because of wind.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:56 AM

IE may be the the only place with the "Santa ana" winds but not the only place with heavy wind.

I heard there was a tornado in Ca last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floomer99 View Post
Another note about the IE, we are probably one of the only areas in the country that has "Wind Days" where the schools close down because of wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties