Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 01:35 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,130,389 times

Advertisements

I know this may be a dumb question, but in your opinion, would you consider the Coachella Valley truly part of the Inland Empire region? How about the Palo Verde Valley (Blythe, Ripley, Palo Verde, etc.) located just near the California-Arizona border? I am asking for answers to this very question because it has been stuck in my head for a long while now. The thing about which cities/regions/towns are truly in the Inland Empire region is STILL a debatable topic, and as such, it is NOT an easy queston to thoroughly answer. One rule that locals tend to have is that in order for a city/town to be part of the Inland Empire, one has to have an area code of 909/951, with the exception of the cities/towns in the Victor Valley, and Twentynine Palms and Yucca Valley, because they are truly in the IE, even though their area codes are 760 and 442. However, several cities in eastern Los Angeles County, such as La Verne and Pomona, have area coes of 909 and 951, and some locals consider them to be in the IE, even though they are located in LA County. Furthermore, some locals of the Coachella Valley use a term called "Desert Empire" to make the region seperate from the IE region, even though it is located in Riverside County, and Inland Empire Health Plan (IEHP) serves the valley.

Here is the list of cities (not including towns or census-designated places) that are for sure in the Inland Empire region:

Riverside County:
Banning
Beaumont
Calimesa
Canyon Lake
Corona
Eastvale
Hemet
Jurupa Valley
Lake Elsinore
Menifee
Moreno Valley
Murrieta
Norco
Perris
Riverside
San Jacinto
Temecula
Wildomar

San Bernardino County:
Adelanto
Apple Valley
Barstow
Big Bear Lake
Chino
Chino Hills
Colton
Fontana
Grand Terrace
Hesperia
Highland
Loma Linda
Montclair
Needles
Ontario
Rancho Cucamonga
Redlands
Rialto
San Bernardino
Twentynine Palms
Upland
Victorville
Yucaipa
Yucca Valley

So, in conclusion, in your personal opinion, would you truly consider the Coachella Valley to be in the Inland Empire region? What about the Palo Verde Valley? Be sure to answer this very questoon as soon as possible. I need answers! As ysoon as you can!

Very much thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 11:08 PM

390 posts, read 389,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
I know this may be a dumb question, but in your opinion, would you consider the Coachella Valley truly part of the Inland Empire region? How about the Palo Verde Valley (Blythe, Ripley, Palo Verde, etc.) located just near the California-Arizona border? I am asking for answers to this very question because it has been stuck in my head for a long while now. The thing about which cities/regions/towns are truly in the Inland Empire region is STILL a debatable topic, and as such, it is NOT an easy queston to thoroughly answer. One rule that locals tend to have is that in order for a city/town to be part of the Inland Empire, one has to have an area code of 909/951, with the exception of the cities/towns in the Victor Valley, and Twentynine Palms and Yucca Valley, because they are truly in the IE, even though their area codes are 760 and 442. However, several cities in eastern Los Angeles County, such as La Verne and Pomona, have area coes of 909 and 951, and some locals consider them to be in the IE, even though they are located in LA County. Furthermore, some locals of the Coachella Valley use a term called "Desert Empire" to make the region seperate from the IE region, even though it is located in Riverside County, and Inland Empire Health Plan (IEHP) serves the valley.

Here is the list of cities (not including towns or census-designated places) that are for sure in the Inland Empire region:

Riverside County:
Banning
Beaumont
Calimesa
Canyon Lake
Corona
Eastvale
Hemet
Jurupa Valley
Lake Elsinore
Menifee
Moreno Valley
Murrieta
Norco
Perris
Riverside
San Jacinto
Temecula
Wildomar

San Bernardino County:
Adelanto
Apple Valley
Barstow
Big Bear Lake
Chino
Chino Hills
Colton
Fontana
Grand Terrace
Hesperia
Highland
Loma Linda
Montclair
Needles
Ontario
Rancho Cucamonga
Redlands
Rialto
San Bernardino
Twentynine Palms
Upland
Victorville
Yucaipa
Yucca Valley

So, in conclusion, in your personal opinion, would you truly consider the Coachella Valley to be in the Inland Empire region? What about the Palo Verde Valley? Be sure to answer this very questoon as soon as possible. I need answers! As ysoon as you can!

Very much thanks in advance!
Definitely not

Old 12-16-2016, 11:18 PM

817 posts, read 922,193 times
The IE is a physical location which is generally defined by the San Gabriel, Santa Ana, and San Bernardino Mountains. In almost all cases you would enter by traveling over a hill or through a mountain pass.

North to South there normally is no dispute
Devore to Temecula. North of Devore you enter the Cajon Pass on the way to Hesperia and Victorville. South of Temecula you go through a less pronounced pass on the way to Escondido.

East to West is subject to more dispute. Redlands is always considered in the IE. Yucaipa is usually also referred to as IE, but Calimesa may be more in the Banning Pass. Just to the south it is a little clearer. Moreno Valley is in the IE, and the trek through The Badlands is the eastern exit.

In places where mountains are the border, the IE stretches along the path of continuous civilization. Upland is in the IE, and so is the unincorporated area of San Antonio Heights. Mt Baldy and other mountain towns are not part of the IE. The effect of mountainous terrain and National Forests makes for a clear end point.

On the western border is where the most uncertainty arises. Many insist on the political boundary between San Bernardino and Los Angeles Counties as the border between the IE and something that is not the IE, but we aren't sure what. Sometimes it is referred to as Pomona Valley but it is only a valley on three sides. I am on the side that says that the IE ends and San Gabriel Valley starts at Kellogg Hill on the 10 between Pomona and West Covina. On the 60 freeway, it would be the unnamed pass to the west between Pomona and Diamond Bar. North of Pomona, there isn't a clear physical boundary but San Dimas is in the IE though it straddles the border. La Verne and Claremont are clearly inside the IE from a geographic standpoint.

To make matters less clear, Diamond Bar and part of Glendora fall inside area code 909.

Further south on the western edge is the Santa Ana Canyon on the 91 freeway. The border between Riverside and Orange counties also runs through this area. None of OC is in the IE, and Corona is the westernmost IE community.

There are also some mountain roads leading out of the IE. Towns in those mountain areas, like Sleepy Hollow and Olinda on Carbon Canyon Road would normally be considered mountain settlements.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:39 PM

Default Interesting viewpoint of the IE you have. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
The IE is a physical location which is generally defined by the San Gabriel, Santa Ana, and San Bernardino Mountains. In almost all cases you would enter by traveling over a hill or through a mountain pass.

North to South there normally is no dispute
Devore to Temecula. North of Devore you enter the Cajon Pass on the way to Hesperia and Victorville. South of Temecula you go through a less pronounced pass on the way to Escondido.

East to West is subject to more dispute. Redlands is always considered in the IE. Yucaipa is usually also referred to as IE, but Calimesa may be more in the Banning Pass. Just to the south it is a little clearer. Moreno Valley is in the IE, and the trek through The Badlands is the eastern exit.

In places where mountains are the border, the IE stretches along the path of continuous civilization. Upland is in the IE, and so is the unincorporated area of San Antonio Heights. Mt Baldy and other mountain towns are not part of the IE. The effect of mountainous terrain and National Forests makes for a clear end point.

On the western border is where the most uncertainty arises. Many insist on the political boundary between San Bernardino and Los Angeles Counties as the border between the IE and something that is not the IE, but we aren't sure what. Sometimes it is referred to as Pomona Valley but it is only a valley on three sides. I am on the side that says that the IE ends and San Gabriel Valley starts at Kellogg Hill on the 10 between Pomona and West Covina. On the 60 freeway, it would be the unnamed pass to the west between Pomona and Diamond Bar. North of Pomona, there isn't a clear physical boundary but San Dimas is in the IE though it straddles the border. La Verne and Claremont are clearly inside the IE from a geographic standpoint.

To make matters less clear, Diamond Bar and part of Glendora fall inside area code 909.

Further south on the western edge is the Santa Ana Canyon on the 91 freeway. The border between Riverside and Orange counties also runs through this area. None of OC is in the IE, and Corona is the westernmost IE community.

There are also some mountain roads leading out of the IE. Towns in those mountain areas, like Sleepy Hollow and Olinda on Carbon Canyon Road would normally be considered mountain settlements.
Interesting response about the Inland Empire you got there. An insightful one, too, I might add. If they ever could, the City Data website should add a seperate California forum and name it "Coachella Valley (Desert Empire)" for that specific area. One of these days, there should be a really accurate and UNIVERSAL definition of the IE. I recently read on another forum where, at one point, one of the posters stated that the White House defines the IE as the entire two counties of Riverside and San Bernardino. I'm not saying that your answer is wrong, I just thought I'd put that out there. Therefore, we all have different perspectives and viewpoints on what is in the IE and what's not. Great response, once again!

Old 12-19-2016, 05:00 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
IMO Calimesa, Cherry Valley, Banning and Beaumont are definitely IE. Hemet/San Jacinto too.

Idyllwild, no. Coachella Valley and Blythe/etc. No. No Yucca/29 Palms either.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:32 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times
The way I see it, Hemet, San Jacinto, Banning, Beaumont and Cabazon are not part of the I.E. Calimesa and Cherry Valley are directly east of Yucaipa and Redlands, so I do consider them IE.

I've spoken with people who had a problem with my inclusion of Riverside, Temecula, and Murrieta as IE cities, as well.

Until some hard lines are (re)drawn, looks as though we've some wiggle room.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:31 PM

Default Sometimes, Banning, Beaumont, and Cabazon are referred to as the Banning Pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The way I see it, Hemet, San Jacinto, Banning, Beaumont and Cabazon are not part of the I.E. Calimesa and Cherry Valley are directly east of Yucaipa and Redlands, so I do consider them IE.

I've spoken with people who had a problem with my inclusion of Riverside, Temecula, and Murrieta as IE cities, as well.

Until some hard lines are (re)drawn, looks as though we've some wiggle room.
Well, like Beardown91737 has stated, there is little to some dispute between east and west. Your opinion is not wrong, either. Also, in some definitions of the Inland Empire, the cities/towns of Banning, Beaumont, Calimesa, Cherry Valley, and Cabazon are considered to be in a seperate region, the San Gorgonio Pass, also simply referred to as the Banning Pass. Yes, I most definitely agree on that; there REALLY has to be some hard-drawn lines to represent the TRUE boundaries of the IE sometime in the future!

Old 12-20-2016, 02:19 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times
For years, the easternmost boundary of the IE stopped "officially" at the small mountain range directly east of Moreno Valley, and nearby Yucaipa-to-Calimesa. Hemet and San Jacinto are simply, well, Hemet and San Jacinto. At least they have always has been to me.

Beardown91737's post is on the money with regard to the IE's east-west margins. It's the north-south part that's a little muddled (not the information in his post specifically, but the consensus outlook).

Old 12-20-2016, 08:49 AM

996 posts, read 785,126 times

Old 12-20-2016, 11:45 AM

Default This is definitely how I picture the IE.

This provided map of yet another used, albeit still not universal, nor most agreed, definition of the Inland Empire I can 100% agree on, RockyRoadg (I respect others' viewpoints on the IE, too. ). Although, I would also include the cities/towns of Barstow, Needles, Baker, etc., but that's just my perspective.

Last edited by Brandon Graves; 12-20-2016 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: Forgot the inclusion of the poster's name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties