Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 10:01 PM

73 posts, read 246,672 times

Advertisements

I am confused. Please clarify. There is a lot of talk here about one area being crime ridden and another being safe. But these areas, when I look at the map, are VERY close to each other. Do the criminal minded folks not own cars? Are there security guards/police that keep the bad guys in their respective areas? I read one post that said the gated communities have their fair share and perhaps then some of burglaries because people living there have a false sense of security and don't always lock doors. Everything is truly relative, and if you have endured a more violently crime ridden type city, then anything less is a godsend. Not intending this query to be antagonistic at all, just curiousand want to understand. I really want to live in the Springs area(not just touristing), hopefully by spring. But, as a lot of the folks that post here also wanting to call P.S. home do, we too want to make sure it is the perfect(or close to it) place to further our dreams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 02:32 AM

268 posts, read 1,199,547 times
Most cities within the United States have areas that are more prone to crime then others. And it is not uncommon that you will have a crime area, travel a matter of blocks, and be in a relatively crime free one. Palm Springs is no different.

The north end of Palm Springs is a good example. Much of the issues there are linked to one particular neighborhood that is entered off of Gateway Drive very close to the Palm Springs Tram. It is home to gang members, drug dealers, and the poor families that they victimize. Yet butting up against it is the Mountain Gate development. Even though they have gates and walls around it, I would imagine that Mountain Gate residents may well experience a bit more crime then people living just a few blocks south of them. Criminals are opportunistic. Sure they have cars but they like to go where the pickings are easiest, and there are more then enough places within their immediate neighborhood that give them that. The police are well aware of where the criminal element comes from and patrol accordingly. For the most part they do a good job, but they can't be everywhere at once.

And yes, living in a gated community doesn't guarantee you will not get robbed, but many people think that it does. Often times people assume that the criminal came from outside the walls, when in fact it is usually an inside job perpetrated by individuals that know the property well and know the habits of the residents. Everything is indeed relative, and Palm Springs certainly does not have criminal activity rivaling that of most major metropolitan areas. But it isn't so crime free that you can leave your doors and windows open 24/7 and expect to come home and find your TV still sitting where you left it.

Please understand when people like myself write what we do in our posts, it isn't because we are bitter or hate Palm Springs or wish to discourage others from moving there. Instead, we are trying to cut through all the B.S. that gets put out by real estate agents looking to make a buck and the Chamber of Commerce types that want you to believe that Frank, Dean, and Bob Hope are still hanging out at Charlie Farrell's Racquet Club.

Palm Springs is not unique nor is it Mayberry. It has it's good, bad and in between. Whether or not it's the place that you, or anyone else for that matter, can "further your dreams", is really a question that only you can answer.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:40 PM

170 posts, read 648,468 times
If you actually take a drive through Palm Springs you'll see that the northern part has a totally different feel/look than the rest of Palm Springs. I'm sure that the areas surrounding this part are more affected by crime/burglaries than those which are further south. However everything is relative in terms of what makes you feel safe or not. For example I would never leave my door unlocked and yet my cousin who lives 2 streets away from me never locks her door and leaves her car outside the garage, and nothing has happened yet. My advice is if you want to live in Palm Springs (or any area), take a drive through the neighborhoods during the day AND at night and see how you feel, if you think you would feel safe there or not, and make sure you look at all the areas (North, South, East, West) as they are each different. If Palm Springs is your dream I'm sure you'll find a house that you will feel great in.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:44 PM

64 posts, read 260,989 times
Just make sure that if you move to PS, that you live on the south end (south of Vista Chino). The north end does tend to see more crime since there is more low income housing. I live in a nice neighborhood on the beginning of the north end, and had my car stolen right out of my driveway a couple years back. You will be happy with the south end, plus it's never windy over there.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:21 PM

73 posts, read 246,672 times
Thanks all for the collective wisdom! We are coming to visit mid September, 4 or 5 days. Still hot enough to get a good "feel" for the summers, though we've lived in Phoenix before. The plan is to move next May/June. We'll be looking in the areas everyone has mentioned. Cost is what will be a large driving force in where we end up living, as the budget will be tight the first year. Hoping to find a house to rent, not an apt., as we have 3 geriatric pets, $1600 month or less.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 9,145 times
I don't know why people think that living on the other side of Vista Chino is a safe gard from crime.
I have been watching the crime reports and most of the break-ins are in the south end town where the wealthier people live. The fact of the matter is the criminals go where the money is, they don't adhere to geographical cut off points made by [mod]rude[/mod], who think they know where the safe zones are. Give me a break!

Last edited by Count David; 09-25-2011 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: language

Old 10-01-2011, 12:22 PM

48 posts, read 141,245 times
Between Palm Springs-Palm Desert .... and FAR North Scottsdale / Cave Creek / Carefree, AZ .... how do the crime statistics compare ???

How about Fountain Hills, AZ (east of the northern part of Scottsdale) ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties