Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,356 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have been browsing these forums for about a week, and thought I would post my own questions.

I am moving to Palm Springs in September, and was curious about apartments. I am a 25 year old female who will be rooming with a 21 year old male.

I have heard that a lot of apartments are mostly catering to the retired crowd. Are there any that would be suitable for two younger adults?

Also, I am not yet familiar with the different neighborhoods in Palm Springs. I was wondering which would be the best neighborhoods to live in. I was thinking since we are younger, that the closer to downtown the better. That way we could enjoy nightlife, and such. (If the neighborhood is decent)

I was just visiting Palm Springs this last June, and loved, loved, loved the area! I cannot wait to call myself a local!

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 11:22 PM

18 posts, read 98,319 times
I'm curious, too. I'd like to move to either Palm Springs or an adjacent community, and wonder how much a studio apartment for a single male would cost. I don't require ANY amenities, except - of course - a sense of safety.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:32 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,553,682 times
The adjacent communities may be a disappointment. Palm Springs is the best, although very tiny with one way streets downtown... When I lived there, I loved it. The library is wonderful & the dining choices great.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:11 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
The adjacent communities are not a disappointment - unless you're talking about Cat City, DHS, Thousand Palms, or Indio. Check out Indian Wells, Rancho Mrage, Palm Desert and La Quinta. Very safe areas. Also, the newer part of Indio (Shadow Hills) and the part of Indio that borders La Quinta (Jefferson area) are very safe areas. I live in La Quinta and have lived in Palm Desert for a number of years as well, and have never had any problems. I am a long time resident (over 15 years) of the desert.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:20 PM

5 posts, read 13,827 times
Dear Twinkle,

It looks like a beautiful setting with the snow capped mts. But how do you cope with the triple digit temps July to October? What are your electric bills like?

Old 08-21-2009, 07:27 PM

You get used to the temps here. When I first moved here from the Los Angeles area over 15 years ago I thought I was gonna die! Your body adjusts. The reality is that most of the time you are indoors. You travel in an air conditioned car to get either to your air conditioned home, or air conditioned office. All the stores have A/C too. You're really only out in it for minutes at a time.

I live in La Quinta, and we are in Imperial Irrigation District, so our bills are far more reasonable than they were when we lived in Palm Desert and were on Edison. I have a larger home than most people, so my bills are still going to be higher than most everyones.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 13,827 times
Sounds not that much different from Fort Worth, which is where we live. Temps are in upper 90's and 100's all summer here. We are looking at down-sizing to a condo in a year or sooner in a place that has lots to do. We saw some lovely places in your area on trulia.com. And maybe we could plan to take trips and do some camping in the mts. where it's cooler in the summer months.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:03 PM

We lived in San Antonio for 9 months, didn't care for it and moved back to the desert. The heat in TX is accompanied by humidity, which makes it even more unpleasant. We have very little or no humidity here. Today was kind of humid, but that isn't the norm. I think that's how we can tolerate it when it gets up around 120 or so - no humidity.

You are within two hours of mountains or beaches here and it's only a 45 minute flight out of Palm Springs to get to the Bay area. So you can "escape".

Old 08-22-2009, 06:56 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,553,682 times
Default thankyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
The adjacent communities are not a disappointment - unless you're talking about Cat City, DHS, Thousand Palms, or Indio. Check out Indian Wells, Rancho Mrage, Palm Desert and La Quinta. Very safe areas. Also, the newer part of Indio (Shadow Hills) and the part of Indio that borders La Quinta (Jefferson area) are very safe areas. I live in La Quinta and have lived in Palm Desert for a number of years as well, and have never had any problems. I am a long time resident (over 15 years) of the desert.

for the clarification: you're right! my fave is PS though...

Old 08-22-2009, 09:39 AM

18 posts, read 98,319 times
I visited a Palm Springs apartment website, and it advertised a one bedroom apartment for $895 a month that's located within a facility that includes a pool and an exercise room. I currently live in the SF Bay area, and I pay $895 a month for a studio apartment that comes with NOTHING like this.

My question to those who rent is, are apts really that affordable in Palm Springs or is this price related to the recession?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties