Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:05 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times

Advertisements

Brutal commute... it'll take you 20-30 minutes just to transition from NB 15 to WB 91 because of that IDIOTIC 2 lane transition flyover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 12:44 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,189,767 times
Dude....just listen to us...even if you can only afford a STUDIO close to your work...I guarantee your quality of life will be better! I can 100% promise you that commute will have you hating life after the FIRST day! Seriously...just listen to us....

Old 09-02-2009, 02:17 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLMC03 View Post
why do you say that AK girl? Do you do that now? If it meant that your wife could live in a house and not in an apartment or a condo, would it be worth it? The project is expected to last a year, then it will be somewhere else. If you think that is bad, I will be starting in Hemet to Redondo until I find a place to rent or buy living with inlaws.
Look at Riverside before thinking of Elsinore. We are not kidding at all about that commute. I often travel east on the 91 in the morning and west on the return. It is a little better. But you will quickly see that the 91 is not moving west in the morning - at all.

Any savings you think you are gaining is lost on the gas and time not to mention air conditioning. Not to mention having to pay a guard to watch your home in Elsinore.
Why do you think it so cheap? Many of the streets in Elsinore are not even paved. It is a meth town. Even the gangs avoid it to live in better neighbor hoods. I dated a girl who was living at her sisters home there in Elsinore. The "lake" is toxic, water treatment plants have cleaner pools.

If you are determined to commute look at Temecula or Corona.

Better yet! take a day off with the wife, do the commute at the real hours. Spend the night in Elsinore.

Holy hell, when did Hemit enter the subject, add a additional hour to your drive. I had to run a job in Hemet for a few months. 2 1/2 hours in the AM to get there, 3 1/2 on the return and my drive being east in the AM and west PM was no where near as the drive you are speaking of. Mine is from Bellflower.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:21 AM

7 posts, read 20,206 times
Inlaws live in Hemet, we are going to stay with them until we can figure out where we want or can live. I appreciate all of the help. I'll look into Riverside, or Corona. Everything else seemed way too expensive. Even rent is through the roof down there! Thanks!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
And then there's the odor off the lake during the fish die-offs. I was at a friend's house in Lakeland Village last month for a visit and a zip around the lake on their speed boat. Dead fish everywhere, and the odor was nauseating. I also couldn't help but notice the filthy ring around the hull of their boat. That water is nasty. Friggin cesspool.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:07 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Here is a link to the No CA fast pass. You prepay for a windshield transmiter to drive in the express lane to shave a hour off the drive. The 91 is known as the Orange Crush for the parking lot commonly called a freeway. The same fast pass works state wide.
I love this quote, parking lot commonly called a freeway.
Why not Ontario, Chino, Rancho, Pomona, Loma Linda, Highland, Redlands, what about Bellflower, or Long Beach. There has got to be something in your range. Closer to Redondo Beach. I know the happiness of the wife is extremely important. Maybe there is better commute.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:17 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
What about Santa Fe Springs, or Cerritos, Buena Park, Downey..I know some of these area's are seedy but not all. My brother lives in Lakewook and pays like $800.00 per month for a two bedroom one bath 900 sq ft home. Not big and fancy, but for a year why not.

You do that commute for a year you'll be replacing a vehicle quicker.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:43 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Thumbs up check ads in craigslist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLMC03 View Post
I just accepted a job down in Redondo Beach, and though my wife and I grew up in Southern California, we have lived in Tacoma, WA for the last 5 years. We won't be able to afford a place in Redondo, obvoiusly, so how is the commute from Lake Elsinore? I will be leaving around 4-5 am, returning around 3-4:30. Thanks for answering!
here's an example, in Torrance.. Tremendous deal in so torrance large unit pet friendly!!!! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/1355873338.html - broken link)

here's a map - press the + to make it bigger - 'A' marks the location of Ocean & PCH: Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic

If I were you, I'd put my stuff in storage & rent for awhile. Get a feel for the area.

Anywhere west of Hawthorne Blvd in the South Bay is pretty okay.

I don't think you want to live in LE or commute from there!!!

Good luck with the new job! Have fun!

Kate

Old 09-03-2009, 09:05 AM

30 posts, read 183,787 times
I commute from Lake Elsinore to El Segundo (which neighbors Redondo Beach to the north). Takes one hour in the morning (leave at 4); and one hour and 30 minutes in the afternoon (leave at 3). This is in a vanpool, where we take turns driving.

I do this commute every day, so I know what I'm talking about.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:55 PM

5 posts, read 19,538 times
I do the commute to Irvine from Lake Elsinore, it takes me about an hour in the morning leaving at 4:30pm. I take Ortega Hwy on the way home which also takes about 1 hour. My work hours are 5:30 - 2:00 so I pretty much miss the parking lot both ways.

Very North of the lake, and East of the 15 in the Canyon Hills & Tuscany Hills area have nice neighborhoods. No signs of gang activity around those areas. The closer you move to the lake the worse it gets...lots of trailer trash. We love living out here, bought a new 2000+ sq ft house for under 180k...you're not going to find that in OC. IF you can hang with the heat in the summer and the traffic you'll love it out here..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties