Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 12:38 AM

77 posts, read 269,528 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am coming from the Northern CA where there is no jobs in Sacramento with a large commute 1.5-2 hours each way) for low pay. We were looking at Thousand Oaks, and Lake Arrowhead. Lake Arrowhead has no jobs nearby, and Thousand Oaks is like 400,000 for a really old cookie cutter house. We also considered Irvine, but again, too expensive. I am now looking at the Inland Empire, but San Bernardino and those areas are too high crime for me, plus no jobs. I am looking for an area that my husband can find many jobs in IT architecture/programming/developing. And for myself, HR/customer service within 30-45 minutes drive for me (an hour is ok for his IT job if needed), that is a decent city to live and to raise kids. LA pays really well. But I cannot find a city that is less than 500,000 and up for an ok home. In the safe Sacramento suburbs, the newer homes are 300,000 and up, but it is hot and I miss Southern CA and all there is to do. Help please for any ideas! I am looking to stay away from gangs and a bad environment, as that is super important to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 02:21 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
Look at Corona, particularly southern Corona. You'll push commute times, but you can find opportunities in IT and HR/CS in OC and north in western Riverside/SB and eastern LA county.

You could also look at Temecula/Murrieta, but I would expect longer commutes. Temecula/Murrieta will give you access to northern San Diego and southern OC(via Ortega Hwy) and up the 15 corridor in Riverside and San Bernardino(not too much tech presence, but lots of other companies related to shipping or distribution and they need IT people too).

You may want to look at Santa Clarita as well. I think prices would probably work for you there, and being along the 5 north of LA you have plenty of access to jobs.

Those areas have newer homes. Most of So Cal is not full of newer homes in your price range. You can find nice houses under 500k in Lakewood(for instance), which is a nice family suburb, but they will be from the 1950s-70s. Sacramento has the luxury of land to expand with newer homes that the greater LA area hasn't had since the 70s or 80s. The High Desert, IE, towards Ventura, Santa Clarita Valley, and way south in OC are where the newst homes are in the area.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:24 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
Corona, Riverside, Upland, Chino, Rancho Cucamonga...All have relatively good commutes.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:24 AM

7 posts, read 19,221 times
Your best bet would be to see where the job is first and then decide which area. The places you have suggested may not seem to far on a map but taking commute times into consideration will change the picture dramatically.
Ideally he can find a job that lets him telecommute then it doesnt matter where you chose to live.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:26 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Corona, Riverside, Upland, Chino, Rancho Cucamonga...All have relatively good commutes.
Especially when they finish the extra lane on the eastbound 91 in a year. This would greatly help those Chino, Chino Hills, Western IE folks on their commute from Irvine/South OC as the 241 would practically have a dedicated lane to the 71.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/freew...-closures.html

The Chino Valley also has the added benefit of being fairly easy access to Brea through Carbon Canyon, and downtown LA via metrolink in Pomona.

If they someday extend the 71 to the 10 (not anytime soon), it'll definitely help out commuters that go to Pasadena.

-chuck22b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties