Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 9,932 times

Advertisements

I have worked with my company for many years and I pretty spread in the Inland Empire. Hemet would be central.

I am looking at a very beatiful home, I mean just lovely. But I have great concerns.

I currently live in Rialto and travel 15 miles one way to take my son to school in Rancho. Schools in Rialto not to good.

The place I am looking at is I guess you can say off Florida west of Sanderson. Just as you really hit the Hemet boarder. West of the Target. It takes me 15 minutes to get to the 215.

My concern is school and my 11 year old and my 4 year old. I am one of those moms who like higher learning. And I was told Hemet, there is a lot of drugs etc.. I never want to get my kids caught up in that.

This forum has given me mixed feelings about a lot and more leaning towards maybe not... I was also looking in Perris.

Any help would mostly be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 10:11 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times
I would not move to Hemet or Perris. Crappy areas. I would look into Murrieta.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:23 PM

323 posts, read 1,390,476 times
I went trick or treating in the residential area above Target and it was really nice.
There were so many people and children about. Many beautiful houses that were
really decorated for the occasion. I got a really good feeling about the area and
people. I have read a lot of bad things regarding raising children in Hemet though.
Pedophile problems and some low standards regarding some schools. I think it would
be wise to rent before taking a long term decision such as buying a house.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,371 times
Check the school ratings for the boundary in which the house you are looking at resides. I like greatschools.net. I think Perris is way worse than Hemet for schools from what I've seen and heard. I'll second the Murrietta/Temecula suggestions. Great schools down there.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 AM

46 posts, read 187,828 times
Where ever you have outpatient treatments, parole and halfway houses and supply low income housing prices and apartments, you will have a higher rate of questionables mixed into your hardworking "did everything right" families. Unfortunatly some families jump at low housing prices to save money and not realize how hidden halfway houses are. Parolees are required to attend meetings, hence they are going to want to live near treatment facilities and will flock to the nearest low housing cost area nearest to the required treatment hospital required by the state. Menifee and Hemet and Lake Eisonore parolees have treatment at Valley Medical in Menifee, and there are numerous halfway houses throughout the area. Wait until major hospitals e.g. Loma Linda in Murrieta, and 79S Temecula, those cities will change over a few years up and running as well.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 PM

32 posts, read 126,012 times
Hi mlm11! Sadly, Hemet is not the community it once was. I grew up here and I am shocked, but not surprised (due to the area becoming a parollee haven!), at the turn the area has taken. Hemet has been flooded with riff-raff and there is even a prostitution problem on Florida Avenue, between State Street and Lyon Avenue specifically. The residential area on the West end of Florida, out past Target was really nice when it was first built. Now, like many areas in Hemet, it has gone downhill. I would be sure to do your homework on the area in general and the schools that fall within the boundaries of the West side of the city. Good luck to you in your search!

Old 04-08-2010, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 17,616 times
Hemet is a pretty decent city and the schools are nice and no matter where you live there will be drugs, i lived in hemet, san jacinto and i loved it, might not compare to where im from newport beach but its nice

Old 04-09-2010, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 12,224 times
There are nice areas of hemet and not so nice areas of hemet. Just like any city. If you are worried about drugs, keep worrying. They are in EVERY school. Doesn't matter what city you are in. Even schools in Beverly hills and La Jolla have drug problems in their schools.

The west side of hemet is better than the east. I live off sanderson nearish to the target. The neighborhood is nice and kept up. This area has alot newer housing. There seems to be alot of section 8 families in the area though which changes the dynamic of the neighborhood.

San Jacinto seems alot more run down with the newer developments being near cattle ranches that smell just awful. Couldn't pay me to live there. And in Hemet, when the breeze blow just wrong, you can smell the cows at my house too.

I moved to Hemet without ever even visiting. It is an OK town. If I had to do over again, I would have chosen french valley, murrieta, or temecula. French valley is still rural but has some very nice newer communities. Temecula has gotten huge and has tons of stuff going on all the time. It also has a great huge mall.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:35 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,937,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddym View Post
There are nice areas of hemet and not so nice areas of hemet. Just like any city. If you are worried about drugs, keep worrying. They are in EVERY school. Doesn't matter what city you are in. Even schools in Beverly hills and La Jolla have drug problems in their schools.

The west side of hemet is better than the east. I live off sanderson nearish to the target. The neighborhood is nice and kept up. This area has alot newer housing. There seems to be alot of section 8 families in the area though which changes the dynamic of the neighborhood.

San Jacinto seems alot more run down with the newer developments being near cattle ranches that smell just awful. Couldn't pay me to live there. And in Hemet, when the breeze blow just wrong, you can smell the cows at my house too.

I moved to Hemet without ever even visiting. It is an OK town. If I had to do over again, I would have chosen french valley, murrieta, or temecula. French valley is still rural but has some very nice newer communities. Temecula has gotten huge and has tons of stuff going on all the time. It also has a great huge mall.
Have you heard the news about what is going on in Hemet now????

Old 08-29-2010, 03:05 AM

1 posts, read 8,526 times
If you decide to rent first, BY ALL MEANS, avoid the PARK COLUMBIA apartments (on 201 So Columbia Ave). This complex is a parolee haven, has several pedophiles living there (common knowledge is if you can pay the low cost rent to live there, you can live there), they have a serious BLACK MOLD problem and the the 'manager'/owner is a tyrant.

If you proceed there, anyways, do not say that you were not warned first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties