Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:57 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,271,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
Your feedback seems quiet intelligent and got me thinking. To answer your first question regarding science, my interest lie in the physical sciences. I would have to say, I have a profound interest and respect for nature. What do I mean? Well to begin, I feel that we humans are a part of the universal whole or ecosystem. Take our relationship with trees for example, we breath out carbon dioxide for them, and in turn they emit oxygen for us. Put another way, learning about the nature of nature and how it synchronizes harmoniously helps me understand my relation to it. A quasi philosophical answer i suppose. Another reason is the one you eluded to. "the conceptual ideas behind investigative science". I'm wired to understand complex theories and concepts, but I like the challenge of finding practical applications for them. I love how Science take abstract concepts, create systems, adhering to certain laws and principles, and produce the physical. Another reason for my love of science is the exploratory aspect of it. Just think of the new planetary discoveries in astronomy and the thought of us not being alone in this magnanimous universe. And just think about the scale of the oceans, some parts almost eight miles deep. We have explored something like 2% of it.

As far as Philosophy is concerned, I study it always in search of universal truths. My method, is to study the works of past philosophers and to juxtapose their experiences and lessons with my own. Simplicity, Simplicity, Simplicity, to simplify the complexities of life to its basic principles. Its what I strive to do.

A mouth full, hope I answered your questions, and offered a little insight into me, Please share more ideas or suggestions -Thanks

Cool. It sounds like you are more interested in the structure of systems rather than one single item. Although its importantt to have knowledge about single items within the system, its not as important as how the "dots connect". Is this correct?

I am a little bit confused about where the academic achievement part comes in and going back to school to fulfill your self motivated quest. I am not saying its a bad idea, but if you have already gone off on your own to meet your own needs, then what is a classroom, let alone 2 majors going to accomplish that you havent already on your own, doing your own research?

To me it sounds like a very successful entrepreneur that is taking classes in entrepreneurial business 101 not knowing that they are even featured in the class text book as a successful entrepreneur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 06:03 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,654 times
I think Biology and Chemistry are fascinating. I'm taking organic chemistry right now and am intrigued by how what I'm learning helps me to see "the big picture" more clearly. Same goes for biology. I have gained a whole new perspective on things after studying it at the macro and micro level. I'd recommend a hard science, as I also took a lot of philosophy classes as an undergrad. Both philosophy and science make you think in the abstract, but I think they complement each other nicely.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:47 PM

88 posts, read 196,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Cool. It sounds like you are more interested in the structure of systems rather than one single item. Although its importantt to have knowledge about single items within the system, its not as important as how the "dots connect". Is this correct?

I am a little bit confused about where the academic achievement part comes in and going back to school to fulfill your self motivated quest. I am not saying its a bad idea, but if you have already gone off on your own to meet your own needs, then what is a classroom, let alone 2 majors going to accomplish that you havent already on your own, doing your own research?

To me it sounds like a very successful entrepreneur that is taking classes in entrepreneurial business 101 not knowing that they are even featured in the class text book as a successful entrepreneur.
You are correct, I'm interested in the structure of systems rather than one single item. Regarding your second question, I respect your point of view and I have no rebuttal. I simply love to learn. the academic aspect of it leans more on the yearning to get a holistic education, you know, just being well rounded. One of the things that I have learned, in my case at least is that one can never know too much. There's something to learn from everywhere. Two majors on the one hand just feeds my academic appetite, on the other,its an assistant to my own "personal" research.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE_p View Post
psychology
Elaborate, why?

Old 09-11-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
Communication
Elaborate, why?

Old 09-11-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I think Biology and Chemistry are fascinating. I'm taking organic chemistry right now and am intrigued by how what I'm learning helps me to see "the big picture" more clearly. Same goes for biology. I have gained a whole new perspective on things after studying it at the macro and micro level. I'd recommend a hard science, as I also took a lot of philosophy classes as an undergrad. Both philosophy and science make you think in the abstract, but I think they complement each other nicely.
Interesting, are you doing graduate work now?

Old 09-11-2010, 09:03 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
Interesting, are you doing graduate work now?
No, I am going back to school to get into a different field (nursing). I will hopefully be doing graduate work within the next two years though.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,559 times
how about forensic science. @nishi.in@gmail.com

Old 09-12-2010, 11:25 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,930 times
Since you're already majoring in philosophy you'll want to get something which will actually give you useful employment skills. My suggestion is a hard science or engineering.

Harsh but very true. How do you call a philosophy major three years after graduation? "Oh, waiter..."

Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 PM

15 posts, read 9,906 times
Biology
Forensic Science
Criminal Justice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: