Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:24 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,446,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Cost of living is a big obstacle for many in San Diego. It's expensive to live here, it's very expensive if you want to buy a house. If you can't afford to live well here, then it's not fun. Most people who struggle financially probably here could live rather comfortably in 90% of the rest of the nation.
Also, not everyone is into the beach. For those of us who surf, run, bike, etc., it's a dream location. But if that's not your thing, SD loses a lot of its luster. It'd be like me moving to Vail. Great skiing, but I hate skiing.
^ This
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 12:33 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,835,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
This is why I couldn't live in Hawaii or South Florida. Those places seem to have the same weather all the time -- sunny and 80s. So Cal has varied weather, even if it is more subtle and most other areas. We've seen that the last few weeks for sure.
Hey, I resemble that remark! I love Hawaii, but you're right if you like predictability, then Hawaii is your place. I must admit I'm not into the snow scene, so warmth, sun and beaches fit me well.
We are two retired Navy Officers and we're not too concerned about employment - working at a Golf Course sounds ideal to my hubby! I am looking forward to getting back involved in local politics and having a good cup of Navy Coffee with my husband each morning.
We hope to leave Hawaii for San Diego in five months - I'm really looking forward to it! Just 165 day and counting

Old 12-31-2010, 01:53 AM

95 posts, read 409,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Lots of people stay away because they have inflated ideas of how much it costs to live in San Diego. The myth of expensiveness of San Diego is perpetuated by threads like this one. (Don't get me wrong - it IS slightly more expensive than average - but the differences are so small as to be inconsequential, unless you're trying to live on $10/hour.)

Some people stay away because it's boring out here. There's no culture or nightlife to speak of. The city is basically dead after 10 pm. Even rock bands often skip the city, and you have to drive to LA (6+ hour round trip) to most concerts.
E is spot on with regards to both points. While I agree it is expensive here, it's no where near as insane as LA, SF, San Jose, or OC. San Diego's cost of living is relatively reasonable compared to other California Metro areas.

And while San Diego is a wonderful place, it can in fact be somewhat bland and it does die after 10 pm and rock bands do flake on us (remember Depeche Mode last year, cuz I do) .

But that's cool because in exchange we have low crime, a clean city considering its size, and chill residents. But take my comment in the spirit it's intended. I've traveled on business to every major American city and believe me, that cab ride home from Lindbergh field returning from each trip can sometimes be indescribable. It's like experiencing San Diego again for the very first time and realizing I'm in a very very special place.

AJ

Old 12-31-2010, 12:48 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,244,461 times
im sick to my stomach with the cost of living comments!!!! i had to start a thread about it. i really think that anyone with a little common sense, a little money in the bank, and a will to work any job to pay the bills (even if its not a dream job) can make it there. i will prove that in due time.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:49 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,244,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnsd View Post
I've traveled on business to every major American city and believe me, that cab ride home from Lindbergh field returning from each trip can sometimes be indescribable. It's like experiencing San Diego again for the very first time and realizing I'm in a very very special place.

AJ
thats what im talkin about! thank you for writing that. made my miserable day alittle bit better.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:28 PM

50,496 posts, read 47,277,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Yeah. Both of them? ;-)

I'm sure that there are bars and night clubs open till 3 am even in Omaha. That does not equate to nightlife.
PB, Mission Valley and downtown are poppin year round. I wish I could get back all the money I spent back in the day partyin.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:31 PM

50,496 posts, read 47,277,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
im sick to my stomach with the cost of living comments!!!! i had to start a thread about it. i really think that anyone with a little common sense, a little money in the bank, and a will to work any job to pay the bills (even if its not a dream job) can make it there. i will prove that in due time.

People in other Cities are spoiled with new cars, big houses and spending cash. Out here you may need to rent, get rooommates and drive a used car. I'd rather do that than freeze my #@$ off this time of year.

We go to my wife's reunion and it's amazing how weathered and aged everyone is from working outside in those extreme conditions.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:22 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,176,294 times
San Diego is not expensive at all. It's one of the cheapest place in California. I find alot of place charging $500 a month or less in San Diego. I'm not going to reveal it because I want to keep it this way. Transportation is good and so is the weather. It's never been this good in San Diego, not even 1970. People are friendly and good looking. Downtown is convenient and nicely located on the waterfront. It's good that people are spooked by the myth of high cost of living and isolation. I like to keep it lay back and keep it nastalgically beautiful. That's why not everyone living there. Do I prefer San Diego over Philly and Seattle? Hell yeah! Shhhhhhhhsh!

Old 12-31-2010, 04:38 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,191,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
PB, Mission Valley and downtown are poppin year round. I wish I could get back all the money I spent back in the day partyin.
Thank you! Finally something we agree on.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:31 AM

21 posts, read 33,120 times
you know what cracks me up w/ san diegans? "it's you who's the problem" "ew, leave, we don't want you here if you dont like it, we're better off without you" SWEETIE IT WAS SDSU that had the bloody compton cook-out, you know, that school you go to? and oh, let's recall the byu basketball games in which you made a mockery of mormons hopping around in a bunch of bicycle helmets and ties and white button up shirts. san diego has one culture, and it's VERY obvious who is considered in the "cool" crowd. anyone who's "different"? forget it. don't forget the head of the KKK resides in fallbrook lest we forget. take off the rose colored glasses aka gucci shades your mommy and daddy paid for, and clear your vision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego