Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:28 AM

52 posts, read 147,033 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering about the military climate in San Diego. Is it a welcoming place for someone who isn't against the military like many on the far left, but doesn't necessarily support it for personal or religious reasons?
In other words, is there a heavy pro-military attitude in SD? If so, how does it manifest itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 10:23 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Yes, there is a pro-military attitude in San Diego. It's easy to see everyday. Stickers on cars, co-workers & neighbors with military backgrounds, special military pricing for all public events, Navy ships in San Diego Bay, Marine helicopters and jets overhead etc etc.

If you find it hard to co-exist with military people, San Diego is not for you. The same goes for gays, Mexicans, Asians, homeless etc. We are a melting pot of all breeds and types. And I really that about San Diego.

Politically, we are mostly moderates with a little more slant to the 'right' than most parts of California.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:54 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magsterly View Post
I'm wondering about the military climate in San Diego. Is it a welcoming place for someone who isn't against the military like many on the far left, but doesn't necessarily support it for personal or religious reasons?
In other words, is there a heavy pro-military attitude in SD? If so, how does it manifest itself?
San Diego is a "navy town", has been for many years, and will probably always be, due to its location. Many, many people either are in the military, have family and friends in the military, or have some working relation to the military.
So, not surprisingly, there is a pro-military attitude.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:28 PM

63 posts, read 141,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Politically, we are mostly moderates with a little more slant to the 'right' than most parts of California.
hello cruitr,

I'm escaping Texas for San Diego thinking I'll get the "right" off my back so I'm a little surprised by your statement. Can you elaborate on your statement and what "most parts" of California are you referring to?

Thanks

Old 01-16-2011, 05:48 PM

134 posts, read 310,043 times
San Diego is the most conservative of California's 3 major cities. The city itself is about evenly split between Dens and Republicans, buy the surrounding county leans right. That said, I don't think San Diego will feel as conservative as many parts of Texas. Overall California is a liberal state.

The military element is probably part of this, but there is a lot here besides the military. You can certainly live a life in San Diego and rarely interact with anyone in the military.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoHopeful View Post
hello cruitr,

I'm escaping Texas for San Diego thinking I'll get the "right" off my back so I'm a little surprised by your statement. Can you elaborate on your statement and what "most parts" of California are you referring to?

Thanks
At the national and statewide level, California is very 'blue.' Because of our military influence I guess, San Diego votes mostly 'red.' In last year's election, there were zero Jerry Brown signs in my 'hood.

Our mayor is republican and so is my councilperson. The wealthier parts of town (La Jolla, Coronado, Rancho Santa Fe) are heavily republican.

If you're looking for typical California big-city liberal politics, San Diego is a bit of an anomaly. Also, all politically-oriented talk radio stations in town are of the 'red' variety. Sean Hannity holds a big event here every year.

I often tell my out-of-town friends, San Diego is socially liberal and fiscally conservative. But we are mostly moderates and not hardcore on either side of the political fence.

Last edited by cruitr; 01-16-2011 at 06:13 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 06:04 PM

52 posts, read 147,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Yes, there is a pro-military attitude in San Diego. It's easy to see everyday. Stickers on cars, co-workers & neighbors with military backgrounds, special military pricing for all public events, Navy ships in San Diego Bay, Marine helicopters and jets overhead etc etc.

If you find it hard to co-exist with military people, San Diego is not for you. The same goes for gays, Mexicans, Asians, homeless etc. We are a melting pot of all breeds and types. And I really that about San Diego.

I could co- exist with anybody. But thanks for your input. Just curious about it.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:32 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,719 times
Quote:
The city itself is about evenly split between Dens and Republicans, buy the surrounding county leans right.
Actually, the city leans left. Parts north of the 8 are evenly split; even La Jolla. The entire coast is populated by wealthy liberals. Republican-leaning wealthy people prefer Rancho Santa Fe and Poway. It must be something about living in a $2 million ocean-view bungalow with a minimal environmental footprint, vs. living in a $2 million mansion on three acres with throngs of servants (gardeners & such) running around the property all day. And parts south of the 8 vote Democratic 2 to 1.

Quote:
I often tell my out-of-town friends, San Diego is socially liberal and fiscally conservative.
That's not quite true. San Diego is increasingly Hispanic. Hispanic people are socially conservative and fiscally liberal. Just look at Imperial County (same Hispanic people, just more concentrated) during the 2008 elections. 62% for Obama and 70% against gay marriage.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:39 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magsterly View Post
When I was growing up in. LA, San Diego was always the most conservative major city in California.they always had a Republican Mayor, at least that's what I remember.
Of course being retired Navy, having a strong military presence appeals to me.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
That's not quite true. San Diego is increasingly Hispanic. Hispanic people are socially conservative and fiscally liberal. Just look at Imperial County (same Hispanic people, just more concentrated) during the 2008 elections. 62% for Obama and 70% against gay marriage.
That makes sense. My 'hood (NW Clairemont) is pretty much all white. My little Obama yard sign was very lonely in 2008.

Last edited by cruitr; 01-16-2011 at 07:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego