Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:38 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdarlene View Post
I was just trying to answer the OP's question and the truth is that most people in San Diego shrug off earthquakes. Frankly, I don't really care that YOU, as individuals are afraid of earthquakes. Yes, LOTS of people who live here are worried about earthquakes, but most just ride through it as SEVERAL other people have mentioned in this thread, not just me.

YOU are missing the point here. I didn't say anything against preparing, it's good to prepare. I was merely stating about the type of attitude most people here in San Diego have about earthquakes.

The thread isn't about YOU!

I frankly don't care about YOU and your fears nor does anyone else. I have no idea why you are singling me out as I am not the only one to respond to this thread in the same way.

As for your response, I could care less as I will not be looking at this thread anymore because it has gotten WAY off track.
Wow, most inappropriate response to another poster I've seen today. YOU WIN!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 09:44 AM

The biggest quake I've personally felt in my 35 years here was the Easter quake, it didn't phase me a whole lot. We do tend to shrug off earthquakes here when we're used to them, but that doesn't mean I don't have a survival kit and some CERT training in case the sh** ever really hits the fan.

I always think about it this way: yeah, the big one probably won't happen in my lifetime, but if it did, I'd sure feel stupid if I didn't do a couple of really simple things to prepare

Old 03-26-2011, 06:44 PM

63 posts, read 209,559 times
Bolt any tall heavy furniture to the wall! Be prepared, but don't spend any time worrying about earthquakes.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 14,479 times
Thank you all for your inputs. We have decided to move and am looking forward to all the great things San Diego has to offer. We are also taking everyone's advice of being prepared, but not letting it run our lives. I will look into those websites mentioned. Thanks again!

Old 06-20-2011, 06:54 PM

30 posts, read 73,772 times
Once you're living in San Diego, you'll be too busy enjoying your life there to worry about earthquakes! You can't predict them and there are risks no matter where you live....so, enjoy it and just smile when you see the snowstorms in the mid-west/east coast!!! We'll be shoveling and you'll be at the beach!!!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 PM

15 posts, read 70,858 times
Yes, good luck with your move. I'm sure you're going to love it here!

And don't worry. Most earthquakes are so small you don't even feel them. It's only occasionaly do we get them big enough to feel, and typically they aren't that big either. Be prepared, because every now and then southern California does get pretty shaken up from one, but don't let it ruin your stay here. I promise once you're moved in, earthquakes will be the last thing on your mind.

: )

Old 06-21-2011, 10:34 AM

48 posts, read 78,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowkellycat View Post
Bolt any tall heavy furniture to the wall! Be prepared, but don't spend any time worrying about earthquakes.
ITA. I have a small earthquake kit at home and in my car, I have water in my house, TV etc bolted to the wall. Then I don't give it another thought -- well until I have to restock my granola bars and tuna.

Oh I lied, I hate sitting under overpasses in traffic in case there was a big one.

I heard that there is more risk of dying in an earthquake in Manhattan than San Diego...??

Old 06-21-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtaxi View Post
ITA. I have a small earthquake kit at home and in my car, I have water in my house, TV etc bolted to the wall. Then I don't give it another thought -- well until I have to restock my granola bars and tuna.

Oh I lied, I hate sitting under overpasses in traffic in case there was a big one.
Haha I'm actually the same way with the overpasses, and I really don't like being stuck on the 805 bridge over Mission Valley if traffic's not moving... But if it's that backed up (which it rarely is) I just exit on 8 West and take Texas street up the hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtaxi View Post
I heard that there is more risk of dying in an earthquake in Manhattan than San Diego...??
I think that means the risk of dying in the same size earthquake- as our building codes are stricter and everything's been retrofitted. The actual risk of a 7.something happening here is much greater, but we're less likely to suffer as much damage/casualties if it happens.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:47 PM

8 posts, read 13,921 times
I've lived in San Diego for over 10 years and have only felt one earthquake since I've been there. They may happen more frequently than your used to but often you can't even feel them or notice them. The ones you do feel aren't bad and only last a minute or so! I wouldn't worry too much about earthquakes being a factor!

Old 06-25-2011, 08:44 AM

48 posts, read 78,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I think that means the risk of dying in the same size earthquake- as our building codes are stricter and everything's been retrofitted. The actual risk of a 7.something happening here is much greater, but we're less likely to suffer as much damage/casualties if it happens.
right, and a smaller earthquake which would be ok for us could be devastating for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego