Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:46 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfan13 View Post
Google maps may say ~30 mins, but I'd at least double or triple that during rush hour. Anything related to the I-15 is especially heinous. I did the commute for about a semester (Rancho Penasquitos to downtown) before I said f-it, and moved closer to school.

As for how SD girls are, my experiences are that they're pretty much laid back and easy to talk to. As long as you don't act like a douche (aka put up a front), most are pretty friendly and will give you the time of day. Plenty of stunners.
No, living in PB and working in Poway is fine. All the traffic is going the other way at rush hour. OP's biggest problem would be getting in and out of PB proper. Heading North in the morning and South in the evening on the 15 is cake. (I do it every day)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 06:35 PM

396 posts, read 925,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombiunpride View Post
It's cool. You and I are seem to be on the same agenda haha. I usually go to Athens GA over Atlanta. (UGA territory).

I'm surprised sHoT by your feedback. Where do all the SDSU girls hang then?
SDSU girls (like most girls in the city) tend to hang out everywhere (Beach, downtown, local parties with other students). If you live in a place in San Diego, you tend to want to be everywhere. The town is your playground.

But I disagree with the whole sausage fest stereotype of SD. It 'looked' like the city was pretty mixed. Bars? Try the beach. SD is a popular destination for females in their 20's to experience and relocate to after college or to see something new.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:07 PM

75 posts, read 113,693 times
Thanks for the clarification. Women aside, I was also relocating due to the better weather, beach, and palm trees.

I've been in Atlanta the 5 past years focusing on school and I think it's time for a scene change.

I was told by a HR person that they would be flying me out there for a day long interview and flying me back home the same day.

Does anyone know if its considered rude to ask them to extend the say so long as we cover our additional hotel expense? They arn't paying for anything other than a ticket to begin with.

What do you all think?

I want to take advantage of the possibility of exploring around San Diego before I consider the expensive east coast move.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:35 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,599,151 times
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Women aside, I was also relocating due to the better weather, beach, and palm trees.

I've been in Atlanta the 5 past years focusing on school and I think it's time for a scene change.

I was told by a HR person that they would be flying me out there for a day long interview and flying me back home the same day.

Does anyone know if its considered rude to ask them to extend the say so long as we cover our additional hotel expense? They arn't paying for anything other than a ticket to begin with.

What do you all think?

I want to take advantage of the possibility of exploring around San Diego before I consider the expensive east coast move.
I wouldn't think so, if you're clear to them that it's for looking around for possibly moving there instead of for having a holiday. In fact, they might look favorably on it as a wise thing to do.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I wouldn't think so, if you're clear to them that it's for looking around for possibly moving there instead of for having a holiday. In fact, they might look favorably on it as a wise thing to do.

Thanks, it panned out like you suggested. I extended my stay from one day to a few days. They covered 2 days of hotel and car rental, but they were ok with me covering my own expenses after that.

Anyone have a list of places to check out? I'm a 22 year old single male, and I'm going alone, so I'm gonna have to wing it in terms of going solo.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:54 AM

21 posts, read 27,338 times
Move to PB for a year. While it's not my favorite place in San Diego, it sounds like it is what you are looking for. It has everything you want... beach, bars, LOTS of women (I'm not sure what the previous 'sausage fest' poster was talking about), restaurants, shops, central location w/ easy access to freeways, and lots of recent college grads just like yourself. Everyone moves to PB right after college. There are also plenty of SDSU girls still in college that live there.

Sure, you will probably get tired of the non-stop partying after a year or so, but by then you will know where your niche is in the San Diego area wherever it may be (downtown, OB, North Park, North County, etc.), and you can find a place there. Oh, and it will without a doubt be one of the best years of your life.

PB is what living in SD as an early-to-mid 20 year old is all about. It's just a shame for you that you couldn't see and be part of it before they outlawed drinking on the beach.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhouse View Post
It's just a shame for you that you couldn't see and be part of it before they outlawed drinking on the beach.
awww man. Do you mean it was completely legal to drink openly? I've drank beer at the beach before even though it prohibited. Usually we are just discreet about it though.

I found some apartments for rent in the $900-$1000 a month about 4-6 blocks away from the water. Is this typical or a good deal? It's for a single bedroom apartment w/ kitchen and living room.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:49 PM

21 posts, read 27,338 times
Quote:
awww man. Do you mean it was completely legal to drink openly? I've drank beer at the beach before even though it prohibited. Usually we are just discreet about it though.

I found some apartments for rent in the $900-$1000 a month about 4-6 blocks away from the water. Is this typical or a good deal? It's for a single bedroom apartment w/ kitchen and living room.
Yah, it was completely legal. You could bring 7 kegs and 500 ppl down and have an all-day rager if you wanted to (and we did several times). Saturdays and Sundays used to be one huge beach party, it was great. Then it started attracting all the tourist meatheads on holidays, and there was a fight/mini-riot on Labor Day a few years ago which gave the opponents the momentum to get the ban on the ballot.

$900-$1000 sounds about right, of course it depends on how nice the place is. What street? If you're not on the bay side (crown point, riviera area) I would suggest trying to be in North PB. A bit quieter usually, although there are more things walkable the closer you are to Garnet Ave.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:52 PM

I'm staying tonight till Tuesday morning at the Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Ranchero Bernardo.

Address is:

17240 Bernardo Center Drive, San Diego, CA

Can anyone recommend any places to check out with a 5-10 Mile Radius on a Sunday Night? I'm here interviewing but I feel like checking out Poway a bit. I'm 22 so bars are a possibility, but I rather not since I'm here solo.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:43 PM

I'm over at Pacific Beach for the next few days. Anyone suggest any particular bars or spots on a Tuesday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego