Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:34 PM

115 posts, read 230,801 times

Advertisements

Hey colombiun pride, please let me know what you think of Pacific Beach. I was born and raised in Atlanta so it would be really helpful for me to get your input and how it compares. I am thinking about moving to Pacific Beach in a year after I graduate law school. I want to move there for a year just because I have been (like you) busting my ass for six years now with no break from school, and I need to see what else is out there.

Also, please let me know what you think of the girl-to-guy ratio. I was initially considering Denver but now I am worried there are way too many dudes there haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhouse View Post
Move to PB for a year. While it's not my favorite place in San Diego, it sounds like it is what you are looking for. It has everything you want... beach, bars, LOTS of women (I'm not sure what the previous 'sausage fest' poster was talking about), restaurants, shops, central location w/ easy access to freeways, and lots of recent college grads just like yourself. Everyone moves to PB right after college. There are also plenty of SDSU girls still in college that live there.

Sure, you will probably get tired of the non-stop partying after a year or so, but by then you will know where your niche is in the San Diego area wherever it may be (downtown, OB, North Park, North County, etc.), and you can find a place there. Oh, and it will without a doubt be one of the best years of your life.

PB is what living in SD as an early-to-mid 20 year old is all about. It's just a shame for you that you couldn't see and be part of it before they outlawed drinking on the beach.
The more I read about SD the better it sounds. Pacific Beach sounds very fun. I was wondering though, do you think a 25-year-old will be too old for Pacific Beach?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:48 AM

116 posts, read 251,522 times
I'm 30 and PB is just fine for me.

Sorry for my absence, was on the road for a while.

Trust me, San Diego's night life scene is a sausage fest. That gay club jibe was nice, but the reality is still there. I go out almost every night. Daytime is a lot better, depending on where you go. Just take a look at the gender census data for 18-35.

Yes, all the military makes a huge difference in the number of young males.

Where do the sdsu girls go ? They go out, but there just aren't enough of them.

I've been living in PB for 6 years, san diego for 10. PB has women. But pb also has MANY more guys. Gender ratio wise, pb is the WORST area of san diego. I live here because i love the beach and i park my boat 300 yards from the boat ramp to go wakeboarding and fishing.

I would live in many other areas, if not for the convenience of my current location having a place to park my boat.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0t View Post
I'm 30 and PB is just fine for me.

Sorry for my absence, was on the road for a while.

Trust me, San Diego's night life scene is a sausage fest. That gay club jibe was nice, but the reality is still there. I go out almost every night. Daytime is a lot better, depending on where you go. Just take a look at the gender census data for 18-35.

Yes, all the military makes a huge difference in the number of young males.

Where do the sdsu girls go ? They go out, but there just aren't enough of them.

I've been living in PB for 6 years, san diego for 10. PB has women. But pb also has MANY more guys. Gender ratio wise, pb is the WORST area of san diego. I live here because i love the beach and i park my boat 300 yards from the boat ramp to go wakeboarding and fishing.

I would live in many other areas, if not for the convenience of my current location having a place to park my boat.
The girl/guy ratio is a very important consideration for this move, so I am upset to hear this. Are you gay? I am just wondering because that may make a difference.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:36 AM

No, he was just being silly. I am a hyper active skirt chaser, and I go out ALL THE TIME, so I see the nightlife up close almost nightly.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:40 AM

One way I describe san diego's nightlife is like this.

Friday night, a bar/club. 20 guys and 5 girls. THe guys say to themselves "where are all the girls?"

Change locale, a strip club. 20 girls, 5 male customers. The girls all say to themselves "where are all the customers?"

I arrived at that vignette a few weeks ago when I took an out of town from club hopping then he demanded to see the strip clubs in san diego. The ratios were literally inverted fractions as we changed venue type.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
One way I describe san diego's nightlife is like this.

Friday night, a bar/club. 20 guys and 5 girls. THe guys say to themselves "where are all the girls?"
Dang. This sucks to hear. Is it really that bad, even on a Friday night?
Quote:
Change locale, a strip club. 20 girls, 5 male customers. The girls all say to themselves "where are all the customers?"

I arrived at that vignette a few weeks ago when I took an out of town from club hopping then he demanded to see the strip clubs in san diego. The ratios were literally inverted fractions as we changed venue type.
It's too bad some more of those guys don't give up and just spend the night at the strip club.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Yes, it really is.

There will be many girls out on friday, don't get me wrong. But there will be MANY more guys. As you walk along fifth on a friday/sat night, you hear each group of guys complaining about "needing to find a spot that's not a sausage fest". It's just part of the culture of San Diego

man diego even has an urban dictionary entry:
Urban Dictionary: Man Diego

Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, it really is.

There will be many girls out on friday, don't get me wrong. But there will be MANY more guys. As you walk along fifth on a friday/sat night, you hear each group of guys complaining about "needing to find a spot that's not a sausage fest". It's just part of the culture of San Diego

man diego even has an urban dictionary entry:
Urban Dictionary: Man Diego
Damn. Of course, no where is perfect. San Diego seems to have great weather and nightlife, so there had to be something. But it seems like I keep running into this problem with western cities. I was initially attracted to Denver, but apparently the ratio is lopsided there as well.

I suppose it's not that big of a deal though. Do you find it harder to get girls than NYC, in other words does the ratio effect things? I just am frustrated because I have been hitting the books hard for 6 years now and I just want to sow my oats for a little bit.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:27 PM

Singles scene in NYC is very different. Many bars are sausage fests in NYC too, but in general, women feel the impact of the opposite gender balance, and tend to keep their eyes open for decent men. The women are not as hot though.

The reason why I post about this so much is because of things like your last sentence. Many guys come here looking to, "cool off", "sow their oats", etc, and I want them to avoid disappointment. The southwest has gorgeous women, but not enough of them due to half the males from Ohio coming here and bringing very few women with them.

For example, if you go to a big nightclub downtown, there will be tons of girls in there, perfect looking ones to boot, but they will all be in VIP at bottle service tables. So not only do you have a 7:4 ratio to begin with, but because half the girls are enclosed in vip, the general club area now has a ratio of 7:2.5. No exaggeration either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego