Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:34 PM

115 posts, read 230,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0t View Post
Singles scene in NYC is very different. Many bars are sausage fests in NYC too, but in general, women feel the impact of the opposite gender balance, and tend to keep their eyes open for decent men. The women are not as hot though.

The reason why I post about this so much is because of things like your last sentence. Many guys come here looking to, "cool off", "sow their oats", etc, and I want them to avoid disappointment. The southwest has gorgeous women, but not enough of them due to half the males from Ohio coming here and bringing very few women with them.

For example, if you go to a big nightclub downtown, there will be tons of girls in there, perfect looking ones to boot, but they will all be in VIP at bottle service tables. So not only do you have a 7:4 ratio to begin with, but because half the girls are enclosed in vip, the general club area now has a ratio of 7:2.5. No exaggeration either.
No, I appreciate the honesty. Would you still recommend San Diego as a whole? I mean, does the bad ratio really affect your weekends, or is it easy to overcome as long as you are somewhat attractive, have your stuff together, and are persistent?

The ratio is important to me, so I am just wondering if it is so bad that it makes life in SD sexually frustrating. I am very disappointed to hear it, but for some reason it's not as big as a turn-off as it was when I heard the same for Denver (maybe because I have heard that the ratio in Denver is bad AND the girls are not very attractive).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 05:29 PM

116 posts, read 251,514 times
San Diego is a great city. A fantastic place.Couples love it, women love it(except for annoying men), etc.

Single males however have to be content with a bit of asexuality to live here. You might call it "macho asexuality" becuase they are still loud, and try their best to get noticed by the few women out at night, but the end result is the same. Drive down Garnet ave during peak hours and you see groups of 3 guys and their 1 chick friend, 5 guys and one guy's girlfriend, over and over. Maybe I'll take video for you.

Now, granted, many men find women, but I would not be being honest if I said San Diego is a place to easily meet women, because it is not. Especially in the light of some cities out there where women are begging for men, I think it is dishonest to say SoCal is a mecca for young men.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
San Diego is a great city. A fantastic place.Couples love it, women love it(except for annoying men), etc.

Single males however have to be content with a bit of asexuality to live here. You might call it "macho asexuality" becuase they are still loud, and try their best to get noticed by the few women out at night, but the end result is the same. Drive down Garnet ave during peak hours and you see groups of 3 guys and their 1 chick friend, 5 guys and one guy's girlfriend, over and over. Maybe I'll take video for you.

Now, granted, many men find women, but I would not be being honest if I said San Diego is a place to easily meet women, because it is not. Especially in the light of some cities out there where women are begging for men, I think it is dishonest to say SoCal is a mecca for young men.
Asexuality? No way. I will lower my standards or switch to a binary scale before I resort to asexuality.

I slept on it last night, and at this point SD is still sounding very appealing, despite the ratio. I think the positives of SD outweigh any bad ratio.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:03 AM

116 posts, read 251,514 times
What's your income level going to be like when you move here? How much can you afford per month for rent?

Old 05-24-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
What's your income level going to be like when you move here? How much can you afford per month for rent?
I dunno what my income will be. I am planning on saving $2,500 to get through the first month (including rent) while I find a job. I would like to spend around $700, in an apartment with roommates.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:01 PM

75 posts, read 113,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachtreeCornersMike View Post
I dunno what my income will be. I am planning on saving $2,500 to get through the first month (including rent) while I find a job. I would like to spend around $700, in an apartment with roommates.
Hey sorry, I've been posting in the Austin forum since I'm considering that city also.

Here was my one week experience in San Diego:

I was in Poway, CA (20 min north of SD) for interviews and its a nice suburb.

The rest of the week was spend in Pacific Beach. I went during SDSUs finals week so I was told by a couple of girls I did manage to talk to.

It's tough becuase every college person said not to judge that visit on that "bad week".

All I can tell you is that it makes sense if its a sausage fest considering SD has a lot of military people in the area. If you are trying to meet women I had a good thing going out of circumstance.

I went to the bars to try to check out the nightlife scene during the week. Believe it or not there were a good number of girls having casual drinks without waves of guys surrounding them.

I just went up to the bar ordered a beer and some food. They were all friendly about talking about where they're from, and why I should move to SD.

A couple people suggested I check out PB and then the Gas Lamp District. The Gas Lamp District is way classier. Think of a really fancy Athens downtown, but a whole lot bigger.

They normally cater to a older crowd in the evening, but after 10 PM restaurants close and they all go into bar mode.

The only reason I'm having second thoughts about moving there is the higher cost of housing. Hope this info helps.

For me Austin seems like a better fit becuse of all the UT Austin engineers literally across the street, college football, and a UGA kind of downtown.

-----------------------------------------------

About housing:

If I do go to SD im almost dead set on wanting to live in the Pacific Beach area. Just because it makes the walks from the bars that much easier. If you are going for a 1 Bedroom all I could find was $900+ apartments. Living with roomates sounds like a better option since I think most places by PB are 2 Bedroom plus.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:18 PM

11 posts, read 35,348 times
I replied to another Atlanta guy here: //www.city-data.com/forum/19295596-post22.html

But specifically for you -

Commuting PB->Poway would kinda suck but depends a lot on the time of day, is it a 9-5 or do you have flexibility?

Austin is definitely cool and would be cheaper by a lot. I enjoy both cities quite a bit. I would highly recommend finding a room on CL instead of 1 BR if you do end up moving to PB: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/roo/

Old 05-24-2011, 05:25 PM

75 posts, read 113,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickingfudiot View Post
I replied to another Atlanta guy here: //www.city-data.com/forum/19295596-post22.html

But specifically for you -

Commuting PB->Poway would kinda suck but depends a lot on the time of day, is it a 9-5 or do you have flexibility?

Austin is definitely cool and would be cheaper by a lot. I enjoy both cities quite a bit. I would highly recommend finding a room on CL instead of 1 BR if you do end up moving to PB: san diego rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist
Thanks I'm following that thread as well, and I read what you wrote. It's gonna be a 9-5. I'm use to dealing with traffic in Atlanta from Norcross to downtown ATL. I'm use to about a hour of traffic, not sure if that commute from Poway to PB is worse.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:31 PM

11 posts, read 35,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombiunpride View Post
Thanks I'm following that thread as well, and I read what you wrote. It's gonna be a 9-5. I'm use to dealing with traffic in Atlanta from Norcross to downtown ATL. I'm use to about a hour of traffic, not sure if that commute from Poway to PB is worse.
I think it would actually be a lot easier - my experience so far with SD traffic is it's a lot less bad than Atlanta in general, despite the So Cal stereotype (though if you go north into Orange County or LA at rush hour you will learn the true meaning of despair), and as someone else mentioned you're mostly going against traffic.

There's some concentrated madness, like 805-North in the evenings towards La Jolla or 5-North up near La Jolla/Del Mar/etc but you can avoid most of that since you're going in the opposite direction. I've never seen anything out here as bad as I-285 at the wrong time of day.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombiunpride View Post
Hey sorry, I've been posting in the Austin forum since I'm considering that city also.
Thanks for responding. I am also considering Austin (in addition to LA, Denver, Portland, and SD). Are SD and Austin the only two you are considering?

Quote:
Here was my one week experience in San Diego:

I was in Poway, CA (20 min north of SD) for interviews and its a nice suburb.

The rest of the week was spend in Pacific Beach. I went during SDSUs finals week so I was told by a couple of girls I did manage to talk to.

It's tough becuase every college person said not to judge that visit on that "bad week".

All I can tell you is that it makes sense if its a sausage fest considering SD has a lot of military people in the area. If you are trying to meet women I had a good thing going out of circumstance.

I went to the bars to try to check out the nightlife scene during the week. Believe it or not there were a good number of girls having casual drinks without waves of guys surrounding them.
Yes, no offense to sh0t, but I am starting to think the whole sausage-fest thing is a bit exaggerated. It would be nice to find some 2010 census stats for 18-30 yr olds though.

Quote:
I just went up to the bar ordered a beer and some food. They were all friendly about talking about where they're from, and why I should move to SD.
The people sound really friendly. Did you just walk right up to them?

Quote:
About housing:

If I do go to SD im almost dead set on wanting to live in the Pacific Beach area. Just because it makes the walks from the bars that much easier. If you are going for a 1 Bedroom all I could find was $900+ apartments. Living with roomates sounds like a better option since I think most places by PB are 2 Bedroom plus.
Yeah, I think the roommate route is looking like the best. It would also make it easier to meet people if the roommates are cool and are people you would actually hang out with instead of just live with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego