Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:23 AM

70 posts, read 330,042 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for safe and inexpensive (isn't everyone) with a reasonable commute to San Diego. Would I have to live in the city to be there, or could I afford a suburb? It would just be me and a 55k salary (SD symphony potential auditionee).

Is this enough to live on in SD? Where in the area could I be that would be the best bet for my money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 05:31 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,601 times
South Bay cities.Point Loma,Mission Valley,Lemon Grove.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:51 PM

70 posts, read 330,042 times
Question What is good??

What is it about these cities that makes them good? Are they safe?

Old 08-01-2007, 09:21 PM

46 posts, read 144,551 times
East Village, Downtown, LIttle Italy. If you are young and want some sort of night life....this is fun. Public transport downtown. Use your car for traveling and beaches etc. You can take the ferry across to Coronado and go to those beaches. Best in the West.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:00 PM

22 posts, read 80,728 times
PB is the place traditionally recommended to singles (especially guys). Not to offend anyone, I must say though, the locals remind me of Dr. Lexus from Idiocracy.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:39 PM

74 posts, read 370,935 times
San Diego is fairly expensive. Point Loma is more expensive than the most of
San Diego, it is considered prime real estate. Mission Valley has lots of apartments expect to pay around 1,500 a month. From Mission Valley you can take the trolley to downtown. Ocean Beach is north of Point Loma and it is an interesting place with surfers, ex hippies, etc.
If you are young I would suggest Mission Beach. Between Mission
beach and La Jolla is Pacific beach which might be the best beach community.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:19 AM

1,029 posts, read 2,481,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDresident View Post
You gotta be nuts to move to SD. Housing is outragously expensive here. If you ever want to settle down, be prepared to spend $500,000 for a 2 Bedroom condo next to a busy highway within earshot of gangbangers. If you have plan to have kids, don't count on a yard. Perhaps a small patch of concrete in back.
SDlookup.com is a great place to look up prices.

San Diego is not all bad, I have been here 14 years and have lives in 8 different areas and have not had a problem.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:06 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
55K is enough to live most anywhere in San Diego. It depends on what you want from your apartment/condo/house rental, and what you want from your neighborhood, and for your commute.

Give us some guidance on those points and we can offer more specifics as to which neighborhoods to suggest.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,049 times
You might as well stay downtown. LIttle Italy.
Good luck

Old 08-05-2007, 08:19 PM

37 posts, read 215,854 times
Default Consider a roommate?

Have you ever thought about finding a roommate? Even if it's for a few months? Unless you must live alone, of course. I never thought I would adapt to living with someone else, but I found a great roommate at one point. He owns a very large house, is a real estate investor, and wasnt home very often.

If you are new to town, it's a good way to get to know people, and the area.

I would NOT live in PB unless you are interested in nightlife. It's also absolute hell in the summer with all of the tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego