Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:59 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
near full moon though
There was a 20 minute window where there was no marine layer (yet), the moon was dropped back and the sun had just set. Constellations abound.

It was pretty incredible. Not sure how much time there was closer to the coast to see it with the marine layer though.

The winter time is absolutely the best for seeing the stars even out here. When I lived closer to the water, those opps were few and far between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 11:15 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehjeh View Post
Yeah, the moon was bright enough that, while there were more stars visible, I couldn't see fields of stars spanning the sky. That was a real disappointment. I haven't seen a sky full of stars (really full, like you'd see out in the desert) in a metropolitan area since about 1976.

Phone was back on this morning, though.
Yeah nothing like the desert but we get it really nicely out here come late fall into winter when its bone dry.

Actually caught a (what I believe was) satellite one night jotting across the sky and an incredibly high velocity and then stopping abruptly. Pretty cool.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:40 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Yeah nothing like the desert but we get it really nicely out here come late fall into winter when its bone dry.

Actually caught a (what I believe was) satellite one night jotting across the sky and an incredibly high velocity and then stopping abruptly. Pretty cool.
Yeah, it was unique to see. I drove around a bit last night and amazing to see just no lights anyway except from cars. It's great to get away from all those lights sometimes.

In fact, that's part of the reason why we decided to buy out in Santaluz. It's a "dark sky" community so you can really see the stars at night... which is wonderful!

Old 09-09-2011, 12:15 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
So, um, the real question regarding this blackout. Anyone know of any Starbucks that are open in San Diego county? Most are closed because of water contamination and this pregnant lady must have her pumpkin spice latte!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:48 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
At least the IPA was saved
Early on in the blackout - while lines starting forming outside of the few remaining open markets- ice shortages and a bit of panic from some- my neighbor buddies meanwhile all went up to Stone Brewery store in the 'hood and filled up their growlers in the open and busy store Haha! Some guys have their priorities right.

My neighbor had to check on his business in Coronado and I went with him just to experience this- it was a trip to go over the bridge and see the city so dark! Just the red airport lights on top of the buildings, the airport runway lights and, surprisingly, Petco- ablaze in lights. Once in a lifetime sight I bet.

By the time we came back over the bridge you could see the lights coming back on in the neighborhoods just to the east and were on at our house at 10:30.

Last edited by T. Damon; 09-09-2011 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-09-2011, 02:01 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
It took me so long to get home from work (almost 3 hours from Escondido to North Park!) that I just figured there was no point in even trying to get ice, but the neighborhood liquor store was open by flashlight so I grabbed a sixer of White Rascal to share with the neighbors. We hung out in the back yard with candles and as people came home we shouted at them to join us- before long there was a good group of us hanging out. I "made" everyone eat my homemade ice cream, since it was the pretty much the only thing in my freezer and it would have been a shame to let it go to waste. We fired up the grill and made some chicken and steaks and veggies.

Around 9-ish my neighbor and I went for a walk- the moon was so bright that we only turned our flashlights on when crossing the street so cars would see us. It was surreal seeing the sky like that from the city. There were folks on bicycles and people walking, everyone stopped to shoot the sh** for a minute or two when paths crossed.

We ended up at Ritual Tavern on 30th, where they were operating by candlelight. The beer was still cold, and there were a bunch of folks from the neighborhood playing trivial pursuit at the bar, and a ton more people enjoying the warm dark night on the outside patio. Had some good conversations with new people from the 'hood. When the lights came on around 10:15-10:30, everyone booed, including the owners.

It was pretty much a great night. We should have a mandatory power outage once a year

Old 09-09-2011, 02:26 PM

7,726 posts, read 1,889,082 times
It will be interesting about 9 months from now to see how many new babies arrive, like they did in New York when they lost power.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
I'm in La Quinta (Coachella Valley) and it went out just before I had to leave the desert to go to school, so I missed most of the misery (the heat and no A/C), and just before my class let out I got a text that the power had just been restored to my area, so I didn't have to come home to a super-hot, dark home, and I didn't have to get out of my car at almost midnight and manually open and close the garage door so I could park in my garage.

When I left the desert I was trapped on the surface streets leading to the freeway for about 45 minutes because the traffic lights were out, so that was a bummer, and when I got home I saw that my husband had thrown away all the ice cream which had melted.

Although I wasn't here for the power failure for more than an hour, it made me ponder how people made it through their day before electricity was invented. We are so spoiled!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:32 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
So, um, the real question regarding this blackout. Anyone know of any Starbucks that are open in San Diego county? Most are closed because of water contamination and this pregnant lady must have her pumpkin spice latte!
I just got a cafe mocha from the Starbucks across from Vons (Rancho Bernardo Road / Bernardo Center Drive. They're technically in the boil-water area (western boundary is I-15) but I took a chance.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:35 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy P. View Post
It will be interesting about 9 months from now to see how many new babies arrive, like they did in New York when they lost power.
Not so many, I think. Their lights were out for several days. After a while, what else can you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego