Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times

Advertisements

Public transit is not really a viable option for San Diego unless you happen to live and work in some very central area that is directly served by a trolley line (i.e. live in Mission Valley, work Downtown). If you are off that line you have multiple transfers and lots of waiting around, it's just not worth it unless it's your only option.

What's missing in San Diego is viable medium-distance commuter transit. Coaster is really about it. Light rail is essentially just a replacement for riding a bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 02:45 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Public transit is not really a viable option for San Diego unless you happen to live and work in some very central area that is directly served by a trolley line (i.e. live in Mission Valley, work Downtown). If you are off that line you have multiple transfers and lots of waiting around, it's just not worth it unless it's your only option.

What's missing in San Diego is viable medium-distance commuter transit. Coaster is really about it. Light rail is essentially just a replacement for riding a bus.
Well, my original point was that all the people who are all of a sudden using public transportation because gas is so expensive are obviously able to use public transportatiion as a viable option, but choose not to do so. If all it takes is an extra $10 to fill up your tank (assuming you have a practical economic car and not a truck or SUV) to make you not want to drive, then it's obviously not *that* much of an inconvenience to take the bus, or trolley, or walk, or ride a bike, or some combination thereof. Those of us for whom it really isn't a viable option just have to suck up the pricier gas. No pun intended.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:22 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Well, my original point was that all the people who are all of a sudden using public transportation because gas is so expensive are obviously able to use public transportatiion as a viable option, but choose not to do so. If all it takes is an extra $10 to fill up your tank (assuming you have a practical economic car and not a truck or SUV) to make you not want to drive, then it's obviously not *that* much of an inconvenience to take the bus, or trolley, or walk, or ride a bike, or some combination thereof. Those of us for whom it really isn't a viable option just have to suck up the pricier gas. No pun intended.
My guess is those people basically can't afford their cars in the first place and are one wreck or broken fuel pump away from riding the bus permanently anyway.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:42 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,976,042 times
Let's keep things in perspective here. Driving into TJ will take about half an hour. Then you have to wait at the border for at least an hour. And then it's another half hour to get home.

So you've wasted two hours, and you've also burned the gas to and from TJ. You probably burnt as much gas as you saved. But let's say you didn't.

Is two hours of your life worth the savings?

Old 08-13-2015, 10:15 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
good images....Mexican mad max. Priceless

This should fit the bill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I16020r--oM

Old 08-13-2015, 01:06 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times
ranks right up there with driving down to Rosarito to consume some deformed lobster (missing claws). By the time I factor in gas, insurance, value of my time, etc. etc. I am much better off going to The Spot in La Jolla where I get Maine lobster (with claws) for under $30 with all the trimmings....in other words, gas or lobster not worth anyone's time or effort.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:49 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 795,766 times
Forgive the OP - he's a fellow Canadian! Up there, it's not unusual at all to see hordes of border crossers - one way or the other - depending on what the two currencies or tax regimes are doing. Of course, the "dynamics" of the two borders are a little different . . .

But in fairness, I did a quick Google search and found a pair of articles from previous gas spikes in 2008 and 2012:

Driving across the border for cheaper gas

Fill 'er Up: Gas Is Cheap in Tijuana, So Californians Buy Big Fuel Tanks - WSJ

. . .so at least TWO San Diegans have done this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego