Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 PM

7 posts, read 10,196 times

Advertisements

Well I didnt really transfer, but just called the SD office and said im moving there and interested in work. They said they would love to talk to me and come in when I arrived. I was sweating bullets about it as it wasnt a lock, went in my 2nd day in town and got hired on the spot... Man was I happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,982 times
GMUAlum08 - Thanks for posting your credentials. After reading numerous posts on this site for the past few days I finally found someone in a somewhat similar-ish position as me. That's great everyone gave you a "thumbs up", now I feel more motivated that I can make the same move.

I am 97% sure that I will have to move somewhere without a job secured beforehand although I will try hard to land something before I make the move.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:44 AM

192 posts, read 251,657 times
The company I work for purchased a building in SD...they are remodeling it so we aren't moving in until March/April 2013. The company decided to relocate only the marketing and science departments for North America (The NA headquarters will still be in Norcal). So, my job is being transferred. If I did not go, I would probably be unemployed for 6 months where I live now with my experience level and education. It happened before. So, since the company is paying for the relocation and I will have more opportunity to grow in my new position in SD, I'm giving it a shot. It's a huge sacrifice because I'll be away from my family.

There are two people in the marketing department that were not offered relocation and their jobs were to stay at headquarters. One employee really wanted to go with the team to SD. So, he applied for another position in the department. Needless to say he didn't get it. So, he applied for a job at a different company in San Diego and got the job...they are paying for his moving expenses and his salary is comparable.

We work in biotechnology so perhaps that is considered a specialty field that recruits outside the area. I actually think it's pretty ridiculous that he had to change companies and that our company couldn't retain him. But I'm not HR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego