Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 07:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

finally someone came forward and said he put them in a headlock.
ok the first thing said of substance. let us go forward with it.
first question why months later it is reported?
EEOC law is well understood by city employees.
timeliness counts esp which there are political axes to grind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:40 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
finally someone came forward and said he put them in a headlock.
ok the first thing said of substance. let us go forward with it.
first question why months later it is reported?
EEOC law is well understood by city employees.
timeliness counts esp which there are political axes to grind.
True. But some people could be afraid of losing their job or the perpetrator making things difficult for them, especially when you have someone in a place of authority like Filner. It's not such a stretch to think he would go after someone if he felt threatened.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:18 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
True. But some people could be afraid of losing their job or the perpetrator making things difficult for them, especially when you have someone in a place of authority like Filner. It's not such a stretch to think he would go after someone if he felt threatened.
^^^^ This. You have to remember that females are in a vulnerable situation. Sexual harassment is basically a my word vs. their word type of thing. Politicians are VERY powerful people that could ruin someone's career VERY quickly.

Add into the mix that Filner had a reputation of being very harsh. It's not like this Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type thingy where at least 50% of the time he was a polite "Dr. Jekyll". From all accounts, Filner was pretty much a crude and evil "Mr. Hyde" and very abrasive so all the more reason why people would be scared that worked under him.

Also, you have to remember something. Often times in the 'political game' it's not like you can work in politics for a while and then just easily transition into the private sector. Sure, if you're at the higher level it's easier but it's not always the case with lower level employees. So you have to think about this as well.

Also, for some of you wondering why women wouldn't want to come forward. I can tell you from personal experience helping a very close friend deal with sexual harassment in the workplace with her employer. These women are put through the ringer. Even if they had nothing to do with it, many of them are some how falsely made out to be easy, sluts, or it was their fault or they were asking for it, etc.

Their entire life is turned upside down and basically investigated. I know with my friend, they had people even going as far back as trying to find high school or college boyfriends, friends, etc. to talk to. This is NOT a fun process.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 07-22-2013 at 09:27 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,847 times
I have rarely encountered sexual harassment situations in my line of work, but have witnessed some at least borderline cases a few times.

It seems to me that everyone in the office just wants to treat it like a misunderstanding and just 'let it go away.' Most of the time it does go away, one way or the other. Sometimes that might mean the person goes on to harass someone else at some point.

It looks like that may have happened over Filner's political career. People ignore it publicly for years, and maybe talk about it privately. Now that he has a larger political role, and maybe because he has rubbed so many people the wrong way, that private talk is now public.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 PM

Wow, I didn't see this woman was a former reporter and a Port of SD VP.

I guess this is who the City Council members were talking about when they said "credible witnesses".

Ex-aide files sexual harassment suit against San Diego Mayor Filner - latimes.com

CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/22/politi...yor/index.html

Good for this woman winning a sexual harassment lawsuit here in SD: http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2013/ju...ts-bob-filner/

Most of them are settled out of court but I admire the women that put their necks out on the line to fight against it.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
I began supporting due process and I still do. However with the Mayor clearly playing the long game and believing as I do that he should actually be arrested based upon the reports, I see no point in allowing this man to continue in the office.

Thursday morning.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 AM

50,312 posts, read 47,056,299 times
It sounds like this is going to get very pricey and in the end the City will have to sue grabby Bob.

GOOD

Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Beginning to hear the Fat Lady singing

Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Beginning to hear the Fat Lady singing
Yep. If you recall since this thread started, I mentioned that Filner had the "I'm Mayor and I can do whatever I want" attitude. It appears that was spot on target.

Sex harassment suit filed against Filner Page 1 of 3 | UTSanDiego.com

McCormack Jackson, 57, also said Filner, 70, would put his arm around her neck to pull her in closer to make those comments and twice tried to kiss her without her permission. She pushed him away on one occasion and asked him to leave her office during the second. She said Filner responded by saying, “You cannot kick me out. I am the mayor. I can go anywhere I want, any time I want.”

“I had to work and do my job in an atmosphere where women were viewed by Mayor Filner as sexual objects or stupid idiots,” she said. “I saw him place his hands where they did not belong on numerous women. I was placed in the Filner headlock and moved around as a rag doll while he whispered sexual comments in my ear. We did not have a relationship other than work. That is all I wanted and I never gave him any reason to think otherwise.”

I did like this part of the article:

City Attorney Jan Goldsmith said the city will defend itself but isn’t on the hook for Filner’s personal legal bills because sexual harassment doesn’t fall within the scope of his duties as mayor. Filner could still ask the city to pay for his defense but would need to get the consent of a City Council — six of its nine members have called on him to resign.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
... Filner could still ask the city to pay for his defense but would need to get the consent of a City Council — six of its nine members have called on him to resign.
And none of the nine will want to face the next election as being on the council that paid a lawyer to fight against a sexual harrassment case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego