Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times

Advertisements

Looks like a standard 90/10 or 80/20 Tall fescue/Bluegrass mix, Standard residential sod these days in California.

You should be able to program different run times for each station/valve.

Reads like some thing is broken with the drip nozzle/bubbler if its is running water to the street after one minute.

I would start out with 5 minutes for the lawn spray and increase time or frequency if needed. If your sprays start running off water after five minutes then just program a second time for them to go on so the water has time to soak in from the first watering.

Most newer residential irrigation programmable timers are flexible enough to handle serveral multiple programs with various times/days/runtimes for 6-10 valves.

For the rotor issue it's one or more of three things- improper timer program, valve diaphram or solenoid that's sticking open.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 04-30-2013 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 12:28 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,930,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Just like you mentioned, we put in the lawn for the kids to play on both in the front and back yard.
Are both front and back playable? If not, xeriscape one, or wait till they move out.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:41 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,271,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
be responsible and xeriscape unless grass lawn is for kids to play in
Gee whiz bloom, what is this 2013? lol

Yeah we have been looking at that for a re-do in the front lawn area. While its gorgeous with the nice green grass, its a total waste of water, no question.

Did you DIY or have a landscaping designer come out? Any idea on what ballpark figures are for that kind of work?

Old 04-30-2013, 01:05 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,539,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Ah, yes I remember asking a question very similar when we bought a home two years ago

That looks like a tall fescue in the first picture. The second looks like foxtail weed in the fescue.

How long are you running the sprinklers now? How many zones do you have? Is the lawn exposed to sun all day or does it ever get shade? Are you near the coast where its somewhat cooler?
Right on the money Shmoov
I would set your timer to 10 mins instead of 5 mins.We have hard clay soil here in So Cal, so It's no way water is getting to the roots.Go To Home Depot and pick up a bag of Scotts Turf Builder and spread it all over your grass.Set your timer to go off early in the morning,Like Shmoov said
and never ever water at night.Watering at night promotes fungus and diseases.As for the second picture that's also just tall fescue overgrown.If you post a picture of your programmer i can probably tell you how to set it up!
If you call up San Diego Water Authority they will send some one out to help you,program and check out your whole sprinkler system for free
Post more pictures of the brown Spots so i can make sure it's just dead grass not a disease.

Edit:
Also while your at home depot,pick up a bag of tall fescue seed Bonsai Dwarf to over seed your grass.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:16 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
Quote:
Gee whiz bloom, what is this 2013? lol

Yeah we have been looking at that for a re-do in the front lawn area. While its gorgeous with the nice green grass, its a total waste of water, no question.

Did you DIY or have a landscaping designer come out? Any idea on what ballpark figures are for that kind of work?
Our grass always seems to look like crap regardless of all the care and watering we give it, granted it has never been totally replaced since we have bought the 85 y.o. house so no telling how old the lawn is- just more fertilizer and mowing- still it just seems like a bunch of mowed half yellow and brown weeds most of the time. And we actually have a really beautiful garden otherwise- we are on a garden tour this year! It's just a small patch so no huge watering dilemma but frankly I'm over it- would love to replace it with something else.

Until then I have heard a bit of sage advice; that a lawn's health and looks should always be judged at a speed and vantage point of a car slowly driving by your place, never up close, or else it will drive you to drink haha.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Our grass always seems to look like crap regardless of all the care and watering we give it, granted it has never been totally replaced since we have bought the 85 y.o. house so no telling how old the lawn is- just more fertilizer and mowing- still it just seems like a bunch of mowed half yellow and brown weeds most of the time. And we actually have a really beautiful garden otherwise- we are on a garden tour this year! It's just a small patch so no huge watering dilemma but frankly I'm over it- would love to replace it with something else.

Until then I have heard a bit of sage advice; that a lawn's health and looks should always be judged at a speed and vantage point of a car slowly driving by your place, never up close, or else it will drive you to drink haha.
LOL

Yeah so true. Drive nice and slow...

Here is our front lawn. If we got really close I am sure there are plenty of yellow bits in there.
I am by no means an expert, but have read enough and hired a landscaper for a short while to get an ok beat on things. I am pretty neurotic with our 'curb appeal' and landscaping all around including the backyard.
So many different aspects to keeping it green as we had the same yellowing problem when we first bought the house. Seems timing, cutting, fertilizing etc are so important. Once you have it down or find the main source of a particular issue, it should be pretty easy (wash, rinse repeat lol)

Our climate is pretty consistent in SD so I am sure within a certain distance from the coast, the basic rules apply for most turf grasses.
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of grass do I have?-img_20130316_155346.jpg  

Old 04-30-2013, 01:48 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Are both front and back playable? If not, xeriscape one, or wait till they move out.
Yes. But we're not talking a big huge yard. Most of my front yard is all native plants. I have a small area behind a gated type area where I planted grass and the kids play in front of the house. And then in the back yard it's not a huge area either but I had grass planted and put in a nice slide and playground set/swings, etc. So they have grass there too.

It's not a huge lot. I actually don't like those huge lots. More to maintain.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:58 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
Quote:
LOL

Yeah so true. Drive nice and slow...

Here is our front lawn. If we got really close I am sure there are plenty of yellow bits in there.
I am by no means an expert, but have read enough and hired a landscaper for a short while to get an ok beat on things. I am pretty neurotic with our 'curb appeal' and landscaping all around including the backyard.
So many different aspects to keeping it green as we had the same yellowing problem when we first bought the house. Seems timing, cutting, fertilizing etc are so important. Once you have it down or find the main source of a particular issue, it should be pretty easy (wash, rinse repeat lol)

Our climate is pretty consistent in SD so I am sure within a certain distance from the coast, the basic rules apply for most turf grasses.
My God your place looks like a pristine putting green compare to ours- I'm so jealous! I would be embarrassed to even show a picture of the yellowed crab grass masquerading as a lawn here. Whatever you are doing it is certainly working- can I dig up yours to replace ours for the tour?

Old 04-30-2013, 03:01 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,626 times
Man Shmoov, it looks MUCH better since I was last at your house! It didn't look like that when I saw it. (or is this your front yard)?

It looks great! Whatever you did is working.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 04-30-2013 at 03:27 PM..

Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Man Shmoov, it looks MUCH better since I was last at your house! It didn't look like that when I saw it. (or is this your front yard)?

It looks great! Whatever you did is working.
Thanks ER. The sun is shining and the re-seed worked really well for the backyard!
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of grass do I have?-wp_20130411_10_59_19_panorama.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego