Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:49 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeZepeda View Post
Can anyone give me details about life in and near CV? I have never really spent much time in the area.
I enjoy:
1. The beach
2. The Gym (24 Hour Fitness or Golds)
3. Movies/ Mall/ Restaurants

What costs should I be considering on top of my basic Rent, Utilities and food expenses?
You keep saying Chula Vista, so not sure if you would consider Eastlake or Otay Ranch both part of Chula Vista, just much newer homes and apartments.

We currently live in an apartment complex, very nice and I believe the 1br are around $1400, (stainless, wood and carpeted flooring, W/D in unit) they were brand new last year, but now have at least had one previous tenant. There appears to be plenty of older but neat looking apartments and cottages near downtown CV. The Downtown are is being revitalized, and looks very nice. My husband and I were commenting yesterday, that we didn't really see any slum area, maybe lower-working class areas.

Chula Vista is not necessarily a party/bar destination, but there are some decent places to eat, socialize and shop (Three Malls, if you include Bonita). The beach is actually Imperial Beach and it's not that far from CV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 08:32 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
You keep saying Chula Vista, so not sure if you would consider Eastlake or Otay Ranch both part of Chula Vista, just much newer homes and apartments.

We currently live in an apartment complex, very nice and I believe the 1br are around $1400, (stainless, wood and carpeted flooring, W/D in unit) they were brand new last year, but now have at least had one previous tenant. There appears to be plenty of older but neat looking apartments and cottages near downtown CV. The Downtown are is being revitalized, and looks very nice. My husband and I were commenting yesterday, that we didn't really see any slum area, maybe lower-working class areas.

Chula Vista is not necessarily a party/bar destination, but there are some decent places to eat, socialize and shop (Three Malls, if you include Bonita). The beach is actually Imperial Beach and it's not that far from CV.

That entire area is really nice. People often times get a misconception when they hear "Chula Vista". I remember when we first started visited the area I was amazed how nice some of the communities are. I'm sure there are some sketchy parts as well but many of the communities the houses are really of the same calibre as communities like 4S Ranch.

That area should have a tremendous boom in the next few decades with all the projects they are planning for that area.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:36 PM

170 posts, read 188,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Well, if it helps in your decision-making process, a Chula Vista woman was just named 2013 Playboy Playmate of the Year

Chula Vista woman named Playmate of the Year | FOX5 San Diego
How come no one ever mentioned hot-latinas were in Chula Vista on my thread "where do latinas hang out in SD ?" ???

Old 05-13-2013, 01:05 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,577,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tequila4less View Post
How come no one ever mentioned hot-latinas were in Chula Vista on my thread "where do latinas hang out in SD ?" ???
We save the good ones for ourselves

Old 05-13-2013, 01:19 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,554,110 times
Quote:
it's called Mandiego for a reason

Old 05-18-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
The naked truth: Playmate of the year tells all Page 1 of 2 | UTSanDiego.com

Old 05-18-2013, 03:11 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,480 times
It costs more to live in California. You just have to accept that. And if you find a cheap place in Chula Vista, you better make sure it's not in one of the seedy areas. There are decent parts of CV and there are bad parts. Making 80K in a bad part might not be a smart move.

You won't be living it up, but you should be fine on 80K per year. Most people in the US make less than 50K no matter where they live and they seem to survive. People might struggle and complain, but most people find ways to make it work.

You say 7300 per year pay cut. The signing bonus is nice, but it's probably a one time thing and after taxes, that 2K won't feel like much. And you might not get it next year. So short term great, long term i wouldn't count on it happening every year. What is the reason for the pay cut? I would assume Waco, TX is not a place that is known to pay top dollar. While San diego companies seem to be cheap when it comes to salaries, sometimes you have to figure out why. Just because some company has some lame excuse doesn't make it right.

And as others said, what does this do for your career? If it's a pay cut, but a better job with more possibilities and a better career path, then it's probably worth it. If it's just a lateral move that won't do anything for your career in the next few years, you have to ask yourself is it really worth it. If it's all about moving closer to your family, then go for it. But I wouldn't move for a lesser paying job that doesn't do anything for my career. Especially to a city that isn't exactly great for good paying jobs.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
It costs more to live in California. You just have to accept that. And if you find a cheap place in Chula Vista, you better make sure it's not in one of the seedy areas. There are decent parts of CV and there are bad parts. Making 80K in a bad part might not be a smart move.

You won't be living it up, but you should be fine on 80K per year. Most people in the US make less than 50K no matter where they live and they seem to survive. People might struggle and complain, but most people find ways to make it work.

You say 7300 per year pay cut. The signing bonus is nice, but it's probably a one time thing and after taxes, that 2K won't feel like much. And you might not get it next year. So short term great, long term i wouldn't count on it happening every year. What is the reason for the pay cut? I would assume Waco, TX is not a place that is known to pay top dollar. While San diego companies seem to be cheap when it comes to salaries, sometimes you have to figure out why. Just because some company has some lame excuse doesn't make it right.

And as others said, what does this do for your career? If it's a pay cut, but a better job with more possibilities and a better career path, then it's probably worth it. If it's just a lateral move that won't do anything for your career in the next few years, you have to ask yourself is it really worth it. If it's all about moving closer to your family, then go for it. But I wouldn't move for a lesser paying job that doesn't do anything for my career. Especially to a city that isn't exactly great for good paying jobs.
Yep. All good points. I was going to mention that about that signing bonus just most likely being a one time thing so you can't really count on that.

I think the most important factor is how stable is this new job likely to be? I've met a few people that had GREAT jobs in other less desirable cities with seniority and VERY stable. They move to San Diego to not only make less money but less seniority and some of them their jobs weren't stable and some of them even lost their jobs after a short amount of time (1 year or so).

So I think you also have to think about that aspect of it. If you're in a very desirable field you can probably find another job but it could take a bit of time. So you have to make peace and account for that possibility as well.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:17 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,026,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeZepeda View Post
Well I am 32 and single... As far as staying local to Texas there are companies here in Texas which do what i do... namely in Dallas/ Ft. Worth... However, I companies which do what i do are few and far between. There are certain companies which hire engineers in my specialty.. Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Boeing and other aircraft manufacturers. Here in Texas LMA is having serious trouble (as are other defense contractors)... this is the case nationwide with the cuts in defense. So most companies are having a hiring freeze and some programs are being cut all together. I have contacted peers in these companies and they all have told me that is the case.
Dallas and Austin, Houston and San Antonio are VERY nice... It would be a BIG upgrade from Waco...
Listen man, you are in Waco, TX and have been offered a job in San Diego, CA making more than the average household. It is beautiful here 365 days a year. Over half the county of San Diego makes less than you and manages to get by. May I just reiterate one thing...you are Waco Texas and have been offered a job in San Diego, CA. If you are not driving here right now...

Old 05-20-2013, 12:13 AM

774 posts, read 1,779,245 times
Just my $0.02: Underpaid often, although not always, means unappreciated. Once you take a job, it's often hard to get a raise.

All things being equal in terms of the nature of the positions, I'd turn down the offer and say "I'm currently being paid more, in fact, significantly more considering the COL". Maybe they'll come up with a better number, maybe not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego