Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:27 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
When it comes to smokers poisoning the air vs. my health, I don't give a damn what you think. Nor will I relax. Second-hand smoke is death. Inconsiderate scum exhaling their cancer particulates anywhere near me will be treated with extreme prejudice.

If you misunderstood anything I just said, let me know. I'll be happy to repeat it.
No I think I understood your situation dead-on. I also agree with you with that technically smoking should be non existent, but really, it seems like you've been off your meds for some time and you need a new course in anti-psychotic pills.

Cigarettes are still a legal product, and you cannot stop anyone who chooses to buy cigarettes with their own money and smoke. While they are legal, YOU are also benefiting from the millions that the tobacco industry brings in thru taxes/revenue. The day they ban smoking, the economy of this country will collapse and youll prob be the first one bitching and moaning about the ban.

Further you have no right to make such nasty personal remarks on anyone simply because they choose to smoke. This just reflects on a very low, pathetic character on your part.

Again I say - Relax yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 01:44 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
I do appreciate these responses. At least I can see what I am up against.

There is a little area next to my window which is where I smoke. YES my immediate apartment can smell like smoke but I rarely smell anything outside my front door. My front door is sealed with sealing tape.

Not to mention they put up buildings faster than a house of cards these days. If you can hear someone sneezing in the apartment next to you then building codes NEED to be revamped.

*More MMJ than Cigs to be honest.

What I do find frightening is how people are reacting to these sorts of bans. Just on this thread alone you can feel the tension. Nobody mentions a compromise...something I would be interested in These types of bans are a foot in the door for a loss of personal freedoms and Govt. intervention into your lives. I live in NYC and I've seen it first hand. First it was the smoking ban then all the other nanny BS that followed it. The frightening thing is we give into it and it pits citizens against each other. Some communists have a theory for this and it isn't far off ! This wasn't my America in the 70's 80's.

With that said can someone recommend areas of SD where I am LESS LIKELY to run into lunatics getting into my business ? What areas of SD should I stay clear of ? Are there any rental communities which offer private home style *Rentals and how expensive are they to maintain ?

Thanks

Old 07-27-2013, 01:49 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
[quote=CNYC;30690407 ...
What I do find frightening is how people are reacting to these sorts of bans. Just on this thread alone you can feel the tension. Nobody mentions a compromise...something I would be interested in These types of bans are a foot in the door for a loss of personal freedoms and Govt. intervention into your lives. ... [/QUOTE]

The problem with a compromise is that it means someone is still being unwillingly subjected to secondhand smoke. Unless you've thought of an arrangement that I've never heard of ...

Old 07-27-2013, 02:16 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I live in a detached cottage, and each one is 4ft away from the other. My neighbor on one side smokes MMJ, and it comes right in my kitchen window, and then permeates the rest of my place. The cottage on the other side is empty, and hopefully a smoke won't move in.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:26 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I live in a detached cottage, and each one is 4ft away from the other. My neighbor on one side smokes MMJ, and it comes right in my kitchen window, and then permeates the rest of my place. The cottage on the other side is empty, and hopefully a smoke won't move in.
The marijuana smoke enters through your kitchen window when it's closed?

Old 07-27-2013, 02:34 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Nothing sets the Liberal whack-job control-freaks crazier then the mention of smoking and California. Like goose-stepping brownshirts, they forget that tobacco is a legal product. While they ***** and moan about cigarrettes, these same irrational whackos advocate smoking marijuana, which is by far more carcinogenic than tobacco.

I recommend you pursue buying. That way, you don't have any unstable Liberal whack-jobs showing up at your front door. If you own the place, you can tell them to get the f%ck off your lawn!
This puzzles me. People seem much more accepting of marijuana, an illegal drug, than tobacco.

Anyway OP, welcome to friendly, wonderful San Diego, the garden paradise of the USA.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:59 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
I don't live in San Diego, but I thought I'd pipe up with our experience.

I live in Orange County and we live in an upstairs one bedroom in an older apartment complex.
Our unit is situated so that there is a stairwell between us and our immediate neighbors (of five years) and no one on the other side, (it's a cluster of smaller buildings instead of the huge block style).

Our neighbors smoke, and the only time it's really annoying is when they are on the patio. So we have to time when they are gone to enjoy our patio because it's "right there", or sometimes we have to shut our sliding glass door if it's wafting into our apartment.

Saying that, we love our neighbors. We have very little in common, but they are sweet and cheerful, and as neighbors we all "put up" with our "things". They warned us they blast the WWE when it's on, and we warned them we blast Film Music!
They have asked us if the smoke is bothering us, and we are just honest and let them know we work around it. I mean, its not like they're out there 24/7.
Also to note, I avoid second hand smoke as much as possible because I have mild asthma. (Strong perfume and cologne bothers my asthma more actually) However, I'm not hysterical about it.

Anyway, living in apartments puts people in tight quarters and there is always the potential for annoyances and apartments can be transient. Someone could have a smoker move out and in comes a couple with a new born baby crying all night!

BTW, we had a "crazy lady" downstairs for a spell, and she had a medical MJ card. That smell bothered me, but what bothered me more was the scary "friends" that were in and out of her apartment at all times of the day or night. She got evicted thankfully, she had other issues as well.
And just as another thought, (and I do know that the medical MJ thing is very individual), There are some who lump cigarettes in with drugs. Cigarettes are a very bad habit and can potentially ruin your health, while drugs when addicted to them can potentially ruin your life!

Anyway thanks for letting me "butt in"!

Old 07-27-2013, 03:38 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I don't live in San Diego, but I thought I'd pipe up with our experience.

I live in Orange County and we live in an upstairs one bedroom in an older apartment complex.
Our unit is situated so that there is a stairwell between us and our immediate neighbors (of five years) and no one on the other side, (it's a cluster of smaller buildings instead of the huge block style).

Our neighbors smoke, and the only time it's really annoying is when they are on the patio. So we have to time when they are gone to enjoy our patio because it's "right there", or sometimes we have to shut our sliding glass door if it's wafting into our apartment.

Saying that, we love our neighbors. We have very little in common, but they are sweet and cheerful, and as neighbors we all "put up" with our "things". They warned us they blast the WWE when it's on, and we warned them we blast Film Music!
They have asked us if the smoke is bothering us, and we are just honest and let them know we work around it. I mean, its not like they're out there 24/7.
Also to note, I avoid second hand smoke as much as possible because I have mild asthma. (Strong perfume and cologne bothers my asthma more actually) However, I'm not hysterical about it.

Anyway, living in apartments puts people in tight quarters and there is always the potential for annoyances and apartments can be transient. Someone could have a smoker move out and in comes a couple with a new born baby crying all night!

BTW, we had a "crazy lady" downstairs for a spell, and she had a medical MJ card. That smell bothered me, but what bothered me more was the scary "friends" that were in and out of her apartment at all times of the day or night. She got evicted thankfully, she had other issues as well.
And just as another thought, (and I do know that the medical MJ thing is very individual), There are some who lump cigarettes in with drugs. Cigarettes are a very bad habit and can potentially ruin your health, while drugs when addicted to them can potentially ruin your life!

Anyway thanks for letting me "butt in"!

Thank You for butting in. Out of all the responses this one seems to be the most logical.

In general people are annoying but we are stuck with each other regardless. A give and take is what "tolerance" is all about. I am up until 4am everyday but I know that once 12am comes around there are certain things that I can't do like practice salsa dancing or vacuum my carpet. I am courteous to other people while still fulfilling my needs. Once people stop being courteous to one another the whole system falls apart. Wars happen civil unrest takes hold and you give Govt's more control over the masses.

If I was your neighbor and my smoke bothered you I'd work something out with you. I'd move my smoking habit to a different part of my apt . If you got in my face for it I'd blow smoke through your keyhole.

What type of America do you want to live in ?

Again though any areas in SD better than other for someone like myself ?

Thanks

Old 07-27-2013, 03:40 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
"loss of personal freedom" ,. To smoke? Seriously?

I guess we all have a freedom to throw rocks at trains but that is illegal too.

Did I misread this?

Old 07-27-2013, 03:44 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
"loss of personal freedom" ,. To smoke? Seriously?

I guess we all have a freedom to throw rocks at trains but that is illegal too.

Did I misread this?
Doh! The last time I checked tobacco is a legal product.

Marijuana is not, and nor is throwing rocks at trains.

Your comparison is fallacious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego