Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 12:16 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow C-D'ers, was curious if any of you have children or know of any parents that send their kids to any ballet or dance programs in the County? If so which ones?

If you are familiar with ballet and dance, how would you rate some of the programs here? Are they more for fun or would you consider them more than that?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 12:59 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Our daughter has been going to Royal Dance Academy in Carmel Valley for a few years and really loves it. (Royal Dance Academy )

They are really good and have won many awards. My wife raves about it and our daughter enjoys it. I don't know too much about this topic but several of our friends also send their daughters there and they enjoy it.

However, they seem to be expanding into different areas like acting classes and other things so I'm not sure how that will go or if the ballet will lose their focus but so far so good.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Our daughter has been going to Royal Dance Academy in Carmel Valley for a few years and really loves it. (Royal Dance Academy )

They are really good and have won many awards. My wife raves about it and our daughter enjoys it. I don't know too much about this topic but several of our friends also send their daughters there and they enjoy it.

However, they seem to be expanding into different areas like acting classes and other things so I'm not sure how that will go or if the ballet will lose their focus but so far so good.
Thanks for sharing that ER!

Their level of accreditation is impressive, but the net result is how happy the kids are and what they are learning.

My SO won the Margot Fontaine award and won a RAD (Royal Academy of Dance) competition before going to SAB and NCSA.

I think she will have lots of talk about with them then

Old 07-26-2013, 08:28 PM

31 posts, read 59,941 times
Schmoov I am so glad I can give back and contribute something since I am new to the area

Our daughter has been attending ballet/tumble/tap combo classes through Dance to Evolve for the last year. She just turned 3 so it is not very technical caliber dancing, however they do a wonderful job. Miss Sarah is one of the best teachers, and I have a background in education including preschool, summer camps, and musical theater. There are locations throughout the county and they allow you to make up a class at another location if you miss which is really nice for a busy family. They have other types of dance as well, and many age groups.

We also had our daughter attend a one week camp through them this summer and she had a great time. We are heading into our second year with them.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:48 AM

7 posts, read 19,244 times
I'm a former professional ballerina - I didn't grow up in San Diego, so I'm interested in finding good ballet schools as well. San Diego Academy of Ballet appears to be quite good. Anyone have any experience with them?

Old 07-28-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraco36 View Post
I'm a former professional ballerina - I didn't grow up in San Diego, so I'm interested in finding good ballet schools as well. San Diego Academy of Ballet appears to be quite good. Anyone have any experience with them?
maraco,

I am personally not familiar with SD Academy of Ballet, but will ask my SO.

I was mainly posting this thread because my SO is looking at being instructor or at least 'giving back' by getting involved again as she is now retired from corporate life.
She was a prima ballerina and trained exclusively on the east coast at Julliard, SAB and NCSA.
Sadly for her, due to injuries from dance (not a surprise) many years ago, as much as she would love to, could not be nearly as active as she once was, but would make for an incredible teacher.

Not being here from the west coast, her exposure to companies here are limited. Anything she might know, mostly come from LA or San Francisco, but more hearsay.
San Diego is a complete unkown to her. I am sure as you know, in the professional dance world, you see many familiar faces over the years or are connected through teachers but it can be in some way regional etc.

She plans on speaking to several companies in the near future and I will pass on this one you mentioned.

So will report back here on this thread to provide any additional info

Old 08-01-2013, 09:10 PM

7 posts, read 19,244 times
That sounds wonderful - I think San Diego could use a quality instructor with her kind of background. Having danced with SAB I bet she could put her knowledge of Balanchine to good use. Good luck and keep us updated. I'll be looking for a great teacher for my two year old daughter in the future!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego