Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 06:49 AM

8 posts, read 31,799 times

Advertisements

Still looking (online) for places to live for family of 4 relocating to southern CA from Chicago. kids are 5 and 8. I've been looking at rentals and trying to stay under $3500 or so. I definitely want family friendly and good schools, doesn't everyone? I saw an interesting home for rent in Sabre Springs. Opinions? Also my cousin showed me some listings in Carmel Valley but it looks like in that price range you give up any yard. Hard as my kids are used to going out in the backyard and playing. Trying to figure out if there are crossroads to stay north/south of, etc. Any input would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:08 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Either of Sabre Springs or Carmel Valley would be a good neighborhood with kids that age. Possibly the schools might be better in Carmel Valley, but I only say that because I don't know about the schools at Sabre Springs.

Not so much crossroads, but be aware that San Diego Unified School District is very uneven as far as school quality. Poway USD (not limited to Poway itself - includes parts of San Diego directly west of Poway) is good, and there are other good ones that someone else (hopefully) will post to recommend.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:06 AM

358 posts, read 584,112 times
I would look at Scripps Ranch as well. The schools there will blow away all of the schools in Poway USD and it's in SDUSD. It also beat a lot of the schools in Carmel Valley as well. Where will you be working? Scripps Ranch have some places that is high up on a hill that will give you ocean view on a clear day. I personally like the South of Pomerado Rd. part of Scripps Ranch.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:36 PM

8 posts, read 31,799 times
I keep hearing Scripps Ranch come up as well, possible due to the school system? My husband works either out of the house or travels among 7 states, so commuting time isn't a huge deal for work, just day to day stuff. I am a nurse, so if I can go back to work I can hopefully find something not too far. I'm working mainly off of the greatschools.com site so it's tricky for schools but I'm definitely seeing the trend. I just learned that there is no music, art, gym? I thought that was part of every school curriculum! Any other suggestions for areas to look in that price range would be great! Thanks for you input!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:39 AM

490 posts, read 1,555,973 times
Look at areas around Miramar Ranch & Jerebek Elementary schools. Nice areas, those schools have music (band /orch.) and art, I've taught at both. Good Luck

Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Sabre Springs, Carmel Valley and Scripps Ranch are very similar. All are generally recent and well-kept suburban master-planned developments within SD city limits, reasonably central and similar price points. The only major difference aside from specific locations are the school districts - Sabre Springs is in PUSD, Carmel Valley is PUSD / San Dieguito depending on exact area, Scripps Ranch is in San Diego Unified. Generally speaking I think school quality is high for all of these. Personally if I was choosing between townhomes in these areas I would choose Carmel Valley hands down - closer to Del Mar and the beach, newer properties, very central and desirable. Sabre Springs would be last just because of location and it's very large and sterile. Scripps is kind of in the middle, and loses a point just because SDUSD sucks so hard (but doesn't really impact those schools much). But none are bad choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego