Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 06:25 PM

354 posts, read 385,359 times

Advertisements

Ok so I'm currently in school in Ohio, born and raised here-- 23 yrs old and I'll be graduating in May 2013 (6 months) with a degree in mechanical engineering. I'm doing my homework and job searching like crazy with linkedin and monster and indeed, but i'm not sure if i'll have a job lined up before i move or not. I've talked to a few people and they say i'll have no trouble finding a job- my degree is in demand and i have great people skills and I'm attractive, which might help me when it comes to finding a job in sales or project management (my dream jobs). Anyway, I'm just looking for some advice and comments tailored to me and what i'm looking for because I THINK the San Diego area might be my little piece of heaven on earth.

i love the sunshine, i love the beach, i'm vegan, i love taking walks outside, volunteering with animals, i enjoy the nightlife to meet people and get all dolled up but I don't party like crazy, and i'm a single white female. I want to have access to a lot more vegan food, and meet other vegans for friends and even dating, because they're few and far between in Ohio.

Anyway, any tips are helpful-- i research So Cal every day for about an hour because i literally CAN NOT WAIT to move. i want to work in alternative energy eventually, and i hear the market is much bigger out West.

What neighborhoods around San Diego would be a good fit for me? Any job advice? The apartment prices are ridiculous and so is the gas, but if I can't find a "career" job within the first month or so, I'm planning on doing something else to make sure i can pay rent! (craigslist for shared apts?) Also, I'm signed with a modeling agency in Ohio, and I will be HOPEFULLY signing with another one after I move.

I'm visiting in December for 16 days to get to know the place, so any advice for that would be helpful too!

Thanks in advance, I know this was a long post!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,591,884 times
Despite what "a few people" said about having no trouble finding a job ...

... don't come here without either a job, or a significant amount of saving to tide you over, or a backup plan if it all falls through. San Diego really is a great place to live, but struggling to pay bills would diminish even a paradise. I'm not saying don't do it! But do it wisely.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 AM

Default how much is enough

I'm thinking of bringing enough money for about 2 months, but i have no idea how much that should be with San Diego's price of living. Obviously rent would be about 700 a month (if i find something decent on craigslist) and then i'm thinking the rest would be pretty similar to how much i spend on a monthly basis with groceries etc. if i don't find a job in engineering the first month, which i'll be looking from 8-5 m-f pretty much and then online on the weekends, the second month i'll start applying for anything and everything.

finding a job 6 months from graduation and 2500 miles away is pretty difficult.

have any advice for me when I'm there for 16 days as to make some connections? i was thinking of going to some firms and introducing myself, and maybe even hanging out in some business casual attire at some classy bar business people might go after work towards the end of the week?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
Alternative energy may be bigger out here, but it is still dependent on government subsidies to make it pencil out. And government subsidies may not survive the budget cuts.

For a good neighborhood fit: Ocean Beach - it has the people and the beach. Also look into the Balboa Park neighborhoods which have the people, but not the beach: Bankers Hill/Park West, Hillcrest, North Park, South Park, and possibly Golden Hill. Also consider Normal Heights. Finally, you may just have to park yourself in Mission Valley because it is centrally located and the housing stock is newer.

$700 per month only works as an apartment share. If you end up living alone plan on $1000 per month as a reasonable minimum. I would come out here with at LEAST $4k saved up. Even then you have to find a landlord willing to rent to you when you don't have a job.

Even if you find a job, the hiring process could take 4 to 6 weeks as they interview the competing candidates and do their research on you. So, $4k would be the least, $5k or $6k would be better.

Your most likely locations for working with a mechanical engineering degree are Sorrento Valley and Sorrento Mesa, Kearney Mesa, and downtown by the bay in either a DoD or military contractor job.

Trolling the bars looking to pick up jobs?

Old 11-11-2012, 09:23 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,591,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
I'm thinking of bringing enough money for about 2 months, but i have no idea how much that should be with San Diego's price of living. Obviously rent would be about 700 a month (if i find something decent on craigslist) and then i'm thinking the rest would be pretty similar to how much i spend on a monthly basis with groceries etc. if i don't find a job in engineering the first month, which i'll be looking from 8-5 m-f pretty much and then online on the weekends, the second month i'll start applying for anything and everything.

finding a job 6 months from graduation and 2500 miles away is pretty difficult.

have any advice for me when I'm there for 16 days as to make some connections? i was thinking of going to some firms and introducing myself, and maybe even hanging out in some business casual attire at some classy bar business people might go after work towards the end of the week?
I'd suggest to make that enough money for six months minimum. And don't burn your bridges, in case you don't manage to find a job in that time and need to go back to Ohio to recoup for another attempt. (Things are looking better here, but jobs are still not easy to find).) For $700 a month you'll almost certainly be sharing a place.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:12 AM

686 posts, read 1,137,659 times
It's great you are using Linkedin and tools like that. My advice is to not just limit yourself to San Diego...also consider jobs in other California locations. You can build up your career in those locations and move to San Diego later. San Diego can be tough for entry level positions in any field.

If you live near where you work in a nice area of LA, you can have a great quality of life and the weather is pretty much the same as San Diego. The weather in the east/south bay areas of Northern California is not that much different than San Diego...and guaranteed it will feel better than Ohio! Just keep all your options open! Good luck.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 AM

42 posts, read 65,687 times
Take a look at Encinitas/Leucadia and other north San Diego coastal cities. It's lovely up here and your vegan lifestyle would be very happy in this area. Encinitas has a relaxed lifestyle with a mixed age demographic, is popular with the surfing sect, but people have their serious entrepreneurial business side. We have a few engineering companies and other professional businesses - all this will be available with online research. Check out Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed where you can compare encinitas,ca with your current location. You'll immediately notice that the cost of housing is the biggest difference and when people advise you to have several months of living expenses saved, it's a caution to take seriously. Your plan to visit first is a good one - enjoy!

Last edited by Yac; 11-21-2012 at 06:08 AM..

Old 11-11-2012, 01:56 PM

@sfosyd: do you know if there are more opportunities near/in LA? I'd be willing to live and find work anywhere between LA and SD, so that would be fine with me!

And yes, the 700$ a month would be an apartment share for sure. I don't want to lease something if I don't have a job, and don't even know where i'd be working.... I don't want a terrible commute because I chose an apartment too far away from where my job is!

Old 11-11-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I'd suggest to make that enough money for six months minimum. And don't burn your bridges, in case you don't manage to find a job in that time and need to go back to Ohio to recoup for another attempt. (Things are looking better here, but jobs are still not easy to find).) For $700 a month you'll almost certainly be sharing a place.
I won't burn my bridges because I know there's a chance I'd be forced back for some reason-- I'm actually working for a company now that would love to hire me in sales right after i graduate-- butttt i feel like this is my chance for happiness, and I want to take it. i just can't stand ohio anymore.

I have 6 months until graduation though, so maybe i'll get lucky?!

Old 11-11-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbarb View Post
Take a look at Encinitas/Leucadia and other north San Diego coastal cities. It's lovely up here and your vegan lifestyle would be very happy in this area. Encinitas has a relaxed lifestyle with a mixed age demographic, is popular with the surfing sect, but people have their serious entrepreneurial business side. We have a few engineering companies and other professional businesses - all this will be available with online research. Check outModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedwhere you can compare encinitas,ca with your current location. You'll immediately notice that the cost of housing is the biggest difference and when people advise you to have several months of living expenses saved, it's a caution to take seriously. Your plan to visit first is a good one - enjoy!
thank you!! the cost of housing is the biggest difference, and i'm so glad you addressed the vegan lifestyle factor-- one of the biggest reasons for the move!!

I can't wait to visit, I'm hoping I just fall in love with the place haha

Last edited by Yac; 11-21-2012 at 06:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego