Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 02:37 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
You might also be coming to SD at a very odd time, so who knows about the cities future. The NFL team is probably moving to LA. The biggest and one of only a couple corporations actually headquartered in SD is rumored to be slashing 10 percent of its work force , sending R&D to cheaper locations and maybe even splitting up. And cost cutting companies usually means many jobs leaving California.

The reality is if Qcomm slashes employees and splits or changes drastically , the entire landscape of SD changes. Like it or not , not may companies actually pay well in SD and there are a lot of bad reports and rumors coming from them right now. And it becomes the butterfly effect. You lose the Chargers and the biggest company here cuts thousands of jobs and is looking to cut costs, it won't be pretty.
If this crap keeps up with California companies all fleeing the costs in SoCal, we might all end up as pedicabs, bartenders, uber drivers and janitors. This is not a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 02:45 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
If this crap keeps up with California companies all fleeing the costs in SoCal, we might all end up as pedicabs, bartenders, uber drivers and janitors. This is not a good thing.
Uber jobs are short term. Give it 5-10 years, as They are spending a ton on investments for automated cars.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:01 PM

850 posts, read 796,676 times
One quick question I have is did most of you who moved here have jobs lined up already?
It seems SD has less opportunities than LA or SF.
Besides Qualcomm and SeaWorld what other major companies are in SD.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:16 PM

69 posts, read 60,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
One quick question I have is did most of you who moved here have jobs lined up already?
My job will be w/ the same employer. I've worked at my organization for close to 9 years. Currently I make a low six figure salary, have full benefits, lots of vacation and I work from home.

I'm simply looking for year round sunshine and a better quality of life. I realize that I could save a tremendous amount of money if I moved to a lower cost of living area, but at this stage in my life, I want to reside in a city that I actually enjoy living in.

I can't wait to call San Diego home.

Last edited by NorthernLass; 07-21-2015 at 05:30 PM..

Old 07-21-2015, 05:24 PM

69 posts, read 60,477 times
I am thinking about adding the following apartment to my short list:

Portofino Apartment Homes - Apartments in San Diego, CA

The complex received a lot of good reviews, but I believe it's 20-30 minutes from the beach...

Old 07-21-2015, 07:33 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLass View Post

The complex received a lot of good reviews, but I believe it's 20-30 minutes from the beach...
That's probably going to be the reality if you want to live in a newer building with nice amenities...otherwise you'll need to up your budget or live in an older/less updated unit closer to the beach. Depending how often you plan on visiting the beach and the surrounding restaurants/bars/shops a 20-30 minute drive could get old quickly..

Old 07-21-2015, 07:38 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:

It gets hot there just FYI.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:43 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Quote:

More like 15 mins, this place is in Mission Valley/Grantville area and I've known a couple of people that have taken 1 year leases on this place. Its a good central location to get to know the city if you like apartment complex life. Portofino is up on a hill on its own, so you might even look near but at the apartment complexes on the Trolley line/San Diego River, this way you can minimize driving.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:48 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,244 times
It will depend on what you love doing. If the beach life means tanning now and again, hitting up some bars near the beach, places like mission Valley are fine. Or it's fine if you have a 3-6 month lease to discover SD. But if you'Re looking for some beach life and sun, sand, surf everyday it's most likely not happening from mission Valley.

And beaches are only close if you hit up the beaches near you. This is why "the beach is only 15 minutes away" is normally said by people who don't go that often. If you are more an Encinitas or Cardiff by the sea fan, it's not 15 minutes away. If you're a Coronado kind of person, it's not 15 minutes away.

I like IB a lot, but that becomes like a 30+ minute drive one way so I rarely go there. It doesn't matter if you aren't really a beach person because you probably only visit whatever is close or touristy or empty. But if you're a beach person, you probably start to have favorite places you visit all the time and others not as much. So if after a month into a 12 month lease, MV becomes a nightmare if you love Encinitas or Carlsbad.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:17 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
I flew out to CA for job interviews but did not move out here (initially SF) until I had a firm job offer in hand following business school. That's what I suggest to many unless you're from the "I live each day like its my last" or those who live paycheck to paycheck camps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego