Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 08:20 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I thought that deal either got nixed by the FCC or else fell apart on its own.
Comcast buying TW got nixed, Charter came along and bought them instead. And Charter isn't known as big a company as Comcast. Comcast owns NBC and so on so I doubt this deal gets nixed. But there are broadcasters and Dish network trying to fight this deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 06:08 PM

601 posts, read 1,452,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compuhi View Post
TW here - $49/month for 30mb internet (i think it's considered "ultimate?) and basic tv (13 channels). I am hoping google fiber really happens in SD county!
Concur, Google Fiber will be the best thing to happen to SD...since In N Out Burger.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:34 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compuhi View Post
TW here - $49/month for 30mb internet (i think it's considered "ultimate?) and basic tv (13 channels). I am hoping google fiber really happens in SD county!
Google will cherry pick and go after the nice areas just like they did other Cities. That and it will probably take them forever which doesn't help anyone in the near future.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:34 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,816 times
I ended up going with Dish for TV (paying about $45/month for very basic channels and a DVR for a 1 year special).

Old 11-26-2015, 10:17 PM

121 posts, read 102,217 times
I have a 1 year package with Cox (started in September) for $145 with taxes. Gives me 2 Contour DVRs, high speed internet, HBO/Showtime/Cinnemax, phone (didn't need the phone but would have been more expensive without it). Yes I'm a sucker but I love channel surfing. It jumps to like $190 with taxes the 2nd year (will drop the phone and movie channels). The phone reps with Cox are liars though and they don't really keep track of promotions and rates the previous person gave you. I had this problem with Uverse as well. Going with DirectTV with promo rates through Costco would have cost me about the same for 2 years when I did the math. I though have a dog who would probably chew through wires attached to a dish, so I would rather get cable if the price is about the same. In any case I ended up getting a $300 (may have been $200 I forget) prepaid credit card by spending maybe 4 hours doing some market research for Contour, and got a $50 Amazon gift card by doing 2 short phone surveys with Cox.

I have to pick up the Cox mini box though since they are going digital. It's free for the first year I heard yes? I cannot find the card that came in the mail.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:55 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
Comcast buying TW got nixed, Charter came along and bought them instead. And Charter isn't known as big a company as Comcast. Comcast owns NBC and so on so I doubt this deal gets nixed. But there are broadcasters and Dish network trying to fight this deal.
I have courtesy service (free everything) as I work in the industry. I can't get Cox in my area and can't stand ATT so I went with TW. The emails they have been sending me are @comcast.net

For what it's worth it looks like Comcast did indeed obtain them.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:23 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,560 times
I was looking at these "mega" antennas that you can put outside of your house and supposedly receive all locals channels and HD. Has anyone tried one of these? It's a relatively cheap investment. We are done paying for TV so right now we have nothing.

I don't mind paying for internet. Sometimes we use our phone as Hotspot and may go to that permanently, but just not sure yet. There is too much to do otherwise than sit and watch TV. WE have pretty much gone to Netflix and Amazon for the die hard shows.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:29 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFlowersX View Post
The phone reps with Cox are liars though and they don't really keep track of promotions and rates the previous person gave you.
Confirmation that I am not going senile. This happened to me twice already but my choices in the area are Cox Cox and Cox. So I chose Cox....naturally.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:40 AM

912 posts, read 915,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
My 12 month promotional offer for Uverse U200 + Internet ended this month, and my rate was due to go up from $80/month to approx. $150/month for U200 with HD, DVR, and 12 Mbps internet (through AT&T).

I called AT&T and tried to get another promotional discount by saying I was going to switch (as is a common tactic) and they told me there weren't any promotional offers. I ended up getting switched over to their newly owned DirecTV, as the reps said they are trying to transition people over to DirecTV, I assume to free up bandwidth for their internet.

When all is said and done, I'm getting the basic 145 channel DirecTV HD package with DVR "rental" and 18 Mbps internet (through AT&T) for approximately $95 for the first year (and about $120 for year 2 of 2 on the contract).

I'm curious what other people in San Diego are paying for these services as of October 2015.
Basic local stations & internet = $53/mo ($49 + taxes and fees)
+ Netflix = $8/mo

Do yourself a favor. That's a total waste of money. IMO, paying for cable is so 20 years ago.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:42 AM

912 posts, read 915,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
I was looking at these "mega" antennas that you can put outside of your house and supposedly receive all locals channels and HD. Has anyone tried one of these? It's a relatively cheap investment. We are done paying for TV so right now we have nothing.

I don't mind paying for internet. Sometimes we use our phone as Hotspot and may go to that permanently, but just not sure yet. There is too much to do otherwise than sit and watch TV. WE have pretty much gone to Netflix and Amazon for the die hard shows.
Yes, my ex put one in our attic (we didn't want it on the roof since it's ugly). When we lived in Carlsbad, even with it inside the attic, we still got stations from as far as LA and Mexico.

I'm more of a Netflix person, but it's good to have some local channels in case of emergency, or in MD for school closures, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego