Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:25 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,556,387 times

Advertisements

Looks like the Chargers are Gone.
I am calling my shot:
Chargers/Rams in LA, Raiders in either San Diego or San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 09:01 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,729,815 times
Sorry for your loss of the Chargers...but, you still have that beautiful coastline! I think that still draws more people there than the Chargers, but I could be wrong!

Old 01-12-2016, 10:50 AM

674 posts, read 611,866 times
The more I think about this whole situation, the more I'm inclined to say, "Good riddance."

Maybe that's sour grapes, but maybe it's just the league showing its true colors.

When you offer someone $350 million in free money for doing nothing that they will use to make hundreds of millions more, and the league rejects it, claiming that the fact that the people who would actually pay for the project get a say in the matter is specifically what makes it inadequate? They want other people to pay for their investments (and get no returns). In other words, their only definition of not failling is to have local governments taking hundreds of millions of dollars from their citizens without even asking them if it's okay, because asking if it's okay is too much of a risk for them.

That's ridiculous. That's completely insane.

Well, the Chargers can enjoy being the Clippers for the next 30 years.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:53 AM

65 posts, read 157,075 times
I was born and raised in Cleveland, so I do feel bad for you as we lost our teams for 3 years, but you have no one else to blame but yourselves and city officials for not building a new stadium to replace that old dump. In fact there are multiple cities that have built two stadiums since Jack Murphy was built, Atlanta in fact built the Georgia Dome in 1992 and they will have a new retractable roof stadium in 2017, Minneapolis built the Metrodome in 1983 and will have a new dome next year. It's inexcusable for a city with such high home values and a state income tax to not build a new stadium in 50 years. The only cities that haven't built state of the art facilities for the new millenium are San Diego, Oakland, St Louis and Jacksonville, which are all on shaky ground. Having a professional sports team is a privilege, not a right. You can't expect teams to stay in old dumpy facilities.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
The more I think about this whole situation, the more I'm inclined to say, "Good riddance."

Maybe that's sour grapes, but maybe it's just the league showing its true colors.

When you offer someone $350 million in free money for doing nothing that they will use to make hundreds of millions more, and the league rejects it, claiming that the fact that the people who would actually pay for the project get a say in the matter is specifically what makes it inadequate? They want other people to pay for their investments (and get no returns). In other words, their only definition of not failling is to have local governments taking hundreds of millions of dollars from their citizens without even asking them if it's okay, because asking if it's okay is too much of a risk for them.

That's ridiculous. That's completely insane.

Well, the Chargers can enjoy being the Clippers for the next 30 years.
Although i partially agree with you, i will not let our elected Officials off the hook on this.
They could of banged this out 10 plus years ago, but they were to busy voting themselves raises and running the city Pension System into ground.
Like SDlife said, "Nothing ever gets done in this town".

Old 01-12-2016, 01:40 PM

674 posts, read 611,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNG12977 View Post
I was born and raised in Cleveland, so I do feel bad for you as we lost our teams for 3 years, but you have no one else to blame but yourselves and city officials for not building a new stadium to replace that old dump. In fact there are multiple cities that have built two stadiums since Jack Murphy was built, Atlanta in fact built the Georgia Dome in 1992 and they will have a new retractable roof stadium in 2017, Minneapolis built the Metrodome in 1983 and will have a new dome next year. It's inexcusable for a city with such high home values and a state income tax to not build a new stadium in 50 years. The only cities that haven't built state of the art facilities for the new millenium are San Diego, Oakland, St Louis and Jacksonville, which are all on shaky ground. Having a professional sports team is a privilege, not a right. You can't expect teams to stay in old dumpy facilities.
Yeah, it's totally already to blame people who weren't even given a vote on whether or not to hand hundreds of millions of dollars over to billionaires who inherited their fortunes, all in the middle of the worst economic crash since the Depression. That's the American way.

You do know that real estate prices and a state income tax have pricely nothing to do with the stadium, right?

The only issue here is that risk is itself an asset with monetary value, but when it's a type of risk that's difficult to quantify, it can be easier to sell it. The NFL has a monopoly, and they want to use that monopoly to get more welfare. Everyone knows that. I'm even okay with it, to a certain extent. It's fine to spend money on public projects that improve the city. I love Petco Park, and I hope we get an MLS team.

We've let the NFL get away with calling all of the shots, though, and that's a problem. It's one thing to ask for public money, but it's another to ask one entity (the city) to give you someone else's (the taxpayers') money, and then to declare it a failure when the city insists on asking the taxpayers' permission first.

That's the insulting part. I was on board with giving the Chargers money, even as they let their utterly unprofessional hack lawyer spew vile vemon all over the public airwaves, trashing my home and generally making me and probably hundreds of thousands of people feel awful over the past year. Fine, "just business." (If an entertainment studio in Los Angeles does business that way, they lose all of their customers.)

Being such entitled brats about the whole process and then saying that not caving into every demand, even after offering more money than everyone I know will ever see in our lives, all for free, and crying that the offer was inadequate because the government here still cares just a little bit about democracy and accountability, is just so pathetic that I'm not even sure I could watch the Chargers if they stay. If they'd cooperated even a little, there could have been a vote already, too.

Having a sports team is not a privilege. Don't be daft. (Maybe it seems that way in flyover country.) It's a business, yes, but businesses have to earn their customers, not the other way around. The attitude that I have to earn the right to be a customer is very off-putting (though a lot of companies track metrics like this secretly, and I help them do so, but even they aren't dumb enough to stop taking cusomters' money -- you never build brand loyalty that way, and loyalty is another thing I'm paid to track, because it's valuable).

Heck, it's pretty pathetic that Spanos couldn't even figure out how to market a team effectively in such a large market. He's had a lifetime to learn the business, and he's got over 3 million people in San Diego County plus those mysterious fans from L.A. and Orange County, yet he still can't fill the stadium.

I couldn't get away with telling a client that it's the customers' fault that business is down. It's always the fault of the company for its product or the marketing team for being generally incompetent.

So, yeah, I'm just going to write off this fat, bloated, pathetic egomaniac and his overrated product that hasn't won anything, ever. He can't find success even when success is handed to him. He insists that he's entitled to hundreds of millions of dollars of guaranteed corporate welfare and a completely unearned arbitrage opportunity.

Yeah, I'm sure the elected officials in San Diego perhaps could have done better, though it's not as if I could have done anything about that. (I'm not even eligible to vote in San Diego elections!) I couldn't do anything about the Oilers leaving Houston, either, and I was there when that happened, too.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:55 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times
NFL panel backs Carson stadium bid by San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders

Old 01-12-2016, 03:26 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,634 times
[quote=PNG12977;42606586]I was born and raised in Cleveland, so I do feel bad for you as we lost our teams for 3 years, but you have no one else to blame but yourselves and city officials for not building a new stadium to replace that old dump. In fact there are multiple cities that have built two stadiums since Jack Murphy was built, Atlanta in fact built the Georgia Dome in 1992 and they will have a new retractable roof stadium in 2017, Minneapolis built the Metrodome in 1983 and will have a new dome next year. It's inexcusable for a city with such high home values and a state income tax to not build a new stadium in 50 years. The only cities that haven't built state of the art facilities for the new millenium are San Diego, Oakland, St Louis and Jacksonville, which are all on shaky ground. Having a professional sports team is a privilege, not a right. You can't expect teams to stay in old dumpy facilities.[/quote

Guess we will have to pass on this particular "privilege".

Old 01-12-2016, 03:26 PM

LOLOLOLOL
The NFL just Flipped the middle finger at Kroenke
He's already burned his bridge in St Louis maybe he moves the Rams to San Diego
If the city sells him the land he could build his own Stadium.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:51 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNG12977 View Post
No offense but wth else is there to do in Cleveland in the winter besides watch football. I hear Elway is a God there.

Funny how the murph was good enough for a super bowl but now it's a dump? Let Spanos buy his own stadium or find enough head count dumb enough to part with their taxes so the "poor Spanos" don't have to use some of their own money.

It will still be on TV, we can still record the games all the while enjoying the beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego