Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 07:34 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
I do not. But one belief does not buttress the other, i.e. merely because politicians are stupid and wasteful with general fund dollars does not mean we should throw away $1.2 billion on an eight-games-a-year stadium.

You know who can afford a new stadium? The NFL and its phalanx of multi-billionare team owners. They can easily afford to build whatever they want. So let them pay for it -- just like you pay for your house, and just like tens of thousands of other businesses in San Diego pay for their own quarters, or a market-rate rent equivalent. If you can pay for your domicile, the NFL and Chargers can pay for theirs.
See what the Rams and their owner are doing compared to what the Chargers and Raiders want to do. I doubt Stan is actually using his own money and some of it will come from Inglewood and LA County and so on, but the reality is, he's planning on building some $3 billion megaplex, not just a new stadium, whereas Spanos and the Chargers want everybody else to foot most of the bill to build Qualcomm Part two. Huge difference. And lets be real, Super bowls and big events are going to pick a $3 billion complex in LA over some new version of Qualcomm in SD owned by Spano's. True, SD would get a super bowl now and again, but they had what, 3 super bowls over 50 years, so lets not pretend like that's an important reason for the city. And big soccer events, again, why the smaller stadium compared to the mega complex?

Unless Spanos builds some $3 billion megaplex in SD, it's never going to drive the revenue people imagine because there is another new megaplex up in LA stealing the events away. What it will be is Qualcomm Part two, just newer and nicer. Nothing wrong with that, but it sure as hell isn't worth $1 billion from tax payers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 08:14 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Right on schedule

Report: Chargers file to trademark several Los Angeles names - CBSSports.com

Old 01-20-2016, 10:22 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,556,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Spanos Must Feel like a total A$$ right now!
Him moving the chargers to LA is like, a ugly girl that shows up to the party she wasn't invited too

Old 01-20-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Spanos Must Feel like a total A$$ right now!
Him moving the chargers to LA is like, a ugly girl that shows up to the party she wasn't invited too
Ya, it's like he's on a mission now that he was rejected by the other owners.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:31 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,772,094 times
The man is POS! He's been planning this all along. He's never once come out publicly and stated that he really wants to keep the team in SD and try to working something out. Not once that I can remember.

Fabiani has been the mouthpiece in all this, and for the owner to not at least address the fans that have supported the damn team for decades, spending their hard earned money on gear, tickets, and lending their support to the players and the team itself is truly disrespectful and cold hearted on Spanos part.

You don't think people in L.A. knows about how Spanos is treating this whole situation? Even media outlets in L.A. are saying that the Chargers will never work out there, and that the love and deep connections that the people here have for the Bolts in SD, most likely wont be replicated in L.A.

In some ways I rather the Chargers leave and the Raiders come to SD, so Spanos can feel like trash knowing that the Raiders have taken over not only his old market, but all of his so called 25% L.A. Charger fans.

The Raider games here will sell out every Sunday, even if hardly anyone from SD goes to the games, all the fans will want to drive down here just to see them play each Sunday during the season. They will own the SoCal market thats for sure. The Chargers will be an afterthought in everyone's minds not only in SD, but up in Smell "A" once there gone.

Oh and the whole trademark L.A. Charger naming rights is a sure bet that they are gone for good.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
The man is POS! He's been planning this all along. He's never once come out publicly and stated that he really wants to keep the team in SD and try to working something out. Not once that I can remember.

Fabiani has been the mouthpiece in all this, and for the owner to not at least address the fans that have supported the damn team for decades, spending their hard earned money on gear, tickets, and lending their support to the players and the team itself is truly disrespectful and cold hearted on Spanos part.

You don't think people in L.A. knows about how Spanos is treating this whole situation? Even media outlets in L.A. are saying that the Chargers will never work out there, and that the love and deep connections that the people here have for the Bolts in SD, most likely wont be replicated in L.A.

In some ways I rather the Chargers leave and the Raiders come to SD, so Spanos can feel like trash knowing that the Raiders have taken over not only his old market, but all of his so called 25% L.A. Charger fans.

The Raider games here will sell out every Sunday, even if hardly anyone from SD goes to the games, all the fans will want to drive down here just to see them play each Sunday during the season. They will own the SoCal market thats for sure. The Chargers will be an afterthought in everyone's minds not only in SD, but up in Smell "A" once there gone.

Oh and the whole trademark L.A. Charger naming rights is a sure bet that they are gone for good.
I used to get bashed years ago on here for saying what you are saying. I knew this all along about the greedy Spanos.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:32 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,698 times
It also seems the NFL wants a team in London by 2022, the way the NFL and most Owners treat the Raiders, plus Mark Davis seems to be a "poor" NFL owner and nowhere near like his Father Al, what better way for the NFL and the owners to screw over Al via his son and expand to London. That way if they succeed, the NFL took a chance. If they fail, well it's the Raiders.

Who knows, but i would not be surprised if the NFL and other owners are looking to send the Raiders to London in a few years. I get the business need, but the logistics would be a nightmare. However they seem adamant on putting a team in London for whatever reason. There are already what, 2 or 3 games over there per year now.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:39 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,556,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
It also seems the NFL wants a team in London by 2022, the way the NFL and most Owners treat the Raiders, plus Mark Davis seems to be a "poor" NFL owner and nowhere near like his Father Al, what better way for the NFL and the owners to screw over Al via his son and expand to London. That way if they succeed, the NFL took a chance. If they fail, well it's the Raiders.

Who knows, but i would not be surprised if the NFL and other owners are looking to send the Raiders to London in a few years. I get the business need, but the logistics would be a nightmare. However they seem adamant on putting a team in London for whatever reason. There are already what, 2 or 3 games over there per year now.
This^
Chargers, jaguars, raiders will be one of the teams in London. The NFL wanting to expand its, concussion driven crappy product to Europeans will be a mistake.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:44 AM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
As a novice I get the feeling that Spanos has few friends.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:40 PM

414 posts, read 508,800 times
Sometimes I wonder how the USA slipped behind other countries in academic rankings, infrastructure, and standard of living.

This thread definitely clears it up. People care more about subsidizing millionaires and sports teams than rebuilding schools, repairing roads, and addressing crime. They are more concerned with their egos and football team identity to do what is smart and right.

$400 million in taxpayer money will always be TOO MUCH for a billion dollar hobby. Fiscal responsibility please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego