Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:07 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,556,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
Thanks. Even worse if you live in Chiefs country or don't even live close enough to St Louis to ever benefit.
But it's a known fact that NFL stadiums don't exactly bring in the revenue marketed. Even Olympics and World Cups and so on don't exactly bring in the long term revenue marketed. And those are once or twice in a lifetime events for cities.

And some people brag about a new Stadium bringing Super Bowls to SD, except SD has held 3 Super bowls over 50 years. LA has had like 7 super bowls and no team for over 20 years and no new stadium. That's not bringing in a ton of events. You could say having a new stadium would bring in super bowls, but the LA $3 billion entertainment complex is going to win far more Super Bowls than a new $1 billion and not much else Qualcomm 2.

As far as all the developments around Qualcomm, who knows. They have to get approved. They have to have builders and investment. The LA complex and surrounding areas are being built up by Stan. Petco and surrounding areas pretty much was going to make the former Padres owner money. And it did. Spanos doesn't seem to have the money to do any of that. So there won't be this billions in new developments around the Stadium because the Chargers owner doesn't really have the money to build it himself and the city and county and half the people who live in SD don't want to spend $1 billion on a new stadium, much less a few new office and residential buildings that only a few people can afford. And make traffic even worse in Mission Valley.
John Moore got rich off of us tax payers. In the end, Spanos wanted the same deal that John Moore of the padres got, and when figured that the tax payers wouldn't be that stupid again, he started his ultimate plan of moving the Chargers to LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 07:30 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,743,296 times
Even as a Chargers fan, I'm ready to move on and try to get an MSL here instead. Lots of rumblings about it already.

Both Landon Donovan and John Moores seem to be interested in making it happen

Report: Landon Donovan part of ownership group interested in bringing USL to San Diego (UPDATED) | INSIDER | LA Galaxy

Old 01-25-2016, 08:51 PM

414 posts, read 508,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Even as a Chargers fan, I'm ready to move on and try to get an MSL here instead. Lots of rumblings about it already.

Both Landon Donovan and John Moores seem to be interested in making it happen

Report: Landon Donovan part of ownership group interested in bringing USL to San Diego (UPDATED) | INSIDER | LA Galaxy
I'd definitely like to try it out. San Diego is one of the best tv markets for the World Cup, who says we couldn't get some decent fan support? Also, don't MLS games have more attendees than the NBA?

Old 01-25-2016, 08:55 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,743,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpieohmy View Post
I'd definitely like to try it out. San Diego is one of the best tv markets for the World Cup, who says we couldn't get some decent fan support? Also, don't MLS games have more attendees than the NBA?
Just checked and average attendance for MSL is over 21,000. I would imagine ticket prices are less than the NBA

Old 01-25-2016, 11:00 PM

414 posts, read 508,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Just checked and average attendance for MSL is over 21,000. I would imagine ticket prices are less than the NBA
Hmm, Staples Center can only hold around 18,000.

MLS tickets usually are cheaper than the NBA and a large number of soccer stadiums are privately financed. Maybe we can get even rid of that awful parking lot that surrounds Qualcomm. It's mind numbingly useless to have a parking lot of that size reserved for the rare tailgate event or car show. It's time we put better use to city-owned land.

The opportunity cost of keeping the Chargers and Qualcomm is simply too high.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,612 times
If it makes you guys feel better no one in LA really cares about the NFL. LA will always be a Lakers/Dodgers town. So in ten years the Chargers will fail and return to San Diego. Where else could they go?

Old 01-29-2016, 07:55 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,149,143 times
No surprise the Chargers are staying...for 2016.

Chargers to stay in San Diego at least 2016 | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com

Old 01-29-2016, 08:07 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,903,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
No surprise the Chargers are staying...for 2016.

Chargers to stay in San Diego at least 2016 | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com
Well the statement by Spanos today is at least slightly encouraging, but of course it is weighted down by the "deal" with the Rams, a negotiating position to wring out more money from the city, but the NFL upping their contribution from $100 million to $300 million for a stadium here is nothing to sneeze at.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:26 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,772,094 times
I was really surprised to be honest that they stayed. After Spanos keeping very quiet about the ordeal, I truly thought he wanted to leave.

But he also had to rethink his decision, because if he left SD without even giving it a shot, it would make him look even worse, and the fanbase would suffer badly because of it. Also because the Raiders could possibly end up here which he doesn't want to happen I am sure.

I still don't know how to react towards this. On one hand I am happy they are staying for one more year, but then another part of me is worried that a vote won't pass because the damage has already been done and that a deal in place for them to go to L.A. if the vote fails to pass. The public is still pissed at him, but if the Chargers have a winning season come November, and a better sense what site will be chosen for the new stadium, then hopefully we will have a better chance to get it built.

For Spanos, it is better to own your building than having to share one, I think he finally realizes this. And with the new stadium it opens up a huge opportunity for an MLS franchise to come here, or for San Diego to be an expansion team therefore creating more money for his pockets.

If Spanos can get the business community to come together, including SDSU to pitch in some money, maybe we won't have to use public funds. If he can raise an extra $200 million from local corporations, or can get a loan from another billionaire somehow, then possibly the city won't have to fork out as much cash, and the vote will be have a better chance of passing.

Overall this is good news that they are staying, and will give SD a chance.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:33 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,632,075 times
I've heard the Chargers hate the Mission Valley site. They really want a downtown stadium. I guess they feel that if the Padres got one there, why can't they. The site downtown has ran into several problems. Some of which are that parking would be limited, traffic impacted majorly, MTS bus yard is part of site, and it's on an earthquake fault. The Mission Valley site makes the most sense because the space is there and the trolley line stops there. It's also centrally located. I honestly don't care if they stay or leave even as a long time fan. It would be cool to host super bowls again and maybe a World Cup game, but I think fixing our infrastructure, solving the homeless problem, and expanding the convention center are far more important. I've heard that if they leave, SDSU might expand onto the current Qualcomm site and/or more apartments. Please not another mall though!

Last edited by aboveordinary; 01-30-2016 at 11:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego