Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 12:14 PM

23 posts, read 29,775 times

Advertisements

I commute from Ocean Beach to Sorrento Valley. Been doing this same commute every day since 2003.

It seems like the traffic has gotten even worse on the 5 North. Up until recently, within the last few months, the traffic would clear up around 9am, and it would be smooth sailing. It's now backed up as late as 11AM. CalTrans also restriped the onramp to the freeway from Sea World Drive to make it a merge lane, and that is always backed up.

I had originally thought it was because of the Farmer's Open, but the traffic has remained awful. It's never been this bad before. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 01:13 PM

401 posts, read 444,692 times
There is a lot of construction both ongoing and planned for that area:
North Coast Corridor Home

Old 02-16-2016, 09:35 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
I feel like there are just more and more people on the road all the time

Old 02-17-2016, 12:58 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,244 times
The traffic on many roads is getting worse and worse. Some of it is construction, some of it is is just traffic. Some days there doesn't seem to be any traffic for whatever reason, but anybody that has to be on time, can't exactly leave 30 minutes before and be 15 minutes late either.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:35 PM

19 posts, read 11,347 times
I could not commute here in California if I did not ride a motorcycle. Saves me hours and hours every week! It's worth learning to ride a motorcycle just for the savings in time and frustration (not to mention gas).

Old 02-17-2016, 10:55 PM

601 posts, read 1,452,017 times
Those damn transplants.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:49 AM

18 posts, read 19,634 times
cheap gas prices. less carpooling or train riding.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:22 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,805,928 times
A few observations...If public transportation (Train, trolleys) offered more destinations people would use it. I gave it a 3 month try a few years back when I worked up in North County. It was time consuming and inconvenient and the savings didn't even come close to justifying its use.

It seems like traffic is greater midweek Tuesday-Thursdays with Fridays being an all day sporadic traffic flows. I noticed a big difference last Friday as many Schools and Govt. offices were closed.

I have every other Friday off and honestly I try to avoid getting in my car from 6-9am or 3pm-6pm. If you don't have to- don't go out in these times. Run your errands from 9am-3pm.

Simple Idea...I think more companies should offer flex starts encourage earlier arrival and hence earlier leave.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:03 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oside57 View Post
cheap gas prices. less carpooling or train riding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
A few observations...If public transportation (Train, trolleys) offered more destinations people would use it. I gave it a 3 month try a few years back when I worked up in North County. It was time consuming and inconvenient and the savings didn't even come close to justifying its use.

It seems like traffic is greater midweek Tuesday-Thursdays with Fridays being an all day sporadic traffic flows. I noticed a big difference last Friday as many Schools and Govt. offices were closed.

I have every other Friday off and honestly I try to avoid getting in my car from 6-9am or 3pm-6pm. If you don't have to- don't go out in these times. Run your errands from 9am-3pm.

Simple Idea...I think more companies should offer flex starts encourage earlier arrival and hence earlier leave.
I think both of these post are valid reasons. Eastcoastbais hit the nail on the head with, The public transportation problem.
I've made many thread on this subject and traffic seems to get better when gas is near $4.00 a gallon

Old 02-21-2016, 09:35 AM

84 posts, read 199,799 times
I so agree with many of the points above. Traffic seems to be getting worse and worse on a daily basis. No doubt about it.

-If drivers would create LESS of a gap between the car in front of them, I think this would help improve traffic flow.

-I would love to know the statistics for the # of vehicles(cars and trucks)traveling between Mexico-L.A. and L.A.-Mexico on a daily basis. San Diego is like a "monkey in the middle" of sorts.

If the road surfaces were improved(paving, etc)I would be a little more forgiving of the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego