Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 07:41 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times

Advertisements

I don't understand how anyone could move to San Diego and expect it to be anything more than it has ever been? Who gives a crap about Hermes and Cartier ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 09:20 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Above is only part of the equation...the more money in a city leads to more sophistication which also leads to more demanding and better restaurants, arts/culture, retail, nightlife, etc (development of what that market will pay for)...I bought into the notion of downtown SD transforming and becoming a true urban destination in a warm weather climate and, while it has improved since 10 years ago the depth and pace has not met my expectations (you're from Long Island...I liken the DT and surrounding areas to a Garden City, "urban" wise...much more suburban) and I have plans underway to address it...if, my tastes change and I suddenly desire a surfer, manana lifestyle (be it SD or Key West) I will revise my plans. There are other reasons for my wishing to relocate as well--not just for luxury goods or high end restaurants.

Anyways, not sure how this thread digressed and brought up other cities (actually, I do--and it wasn't me who brought other cities into the conversation but that's fine...I'm just responding after this was the case)...i simply started out on page 1 of this thread and asked to see the SD pay rankings for other industries not mentioned in the UT article, in case anyone is wondering. Sometimes threads take a divergent path.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-07-2016 at 10:25 AM..

Old 10-07-2016, 11:51 AM

Why did you move here? Didn't you do your research? It's a former navy town. Sounds like you though SD was LA?

Old 10-07-2016, 12:43 PM

Moved from OC, was hoping DTSD would turn out to be more than it has so far--turned the corner but not as much as I thought it might (and even with future plans, don't see it evolving fast enough for my tastes and stage of life)..best place in CA I lived was when I first moved West in 1983--Mill Valley in Marin County...best of both worlds--real nice area yet only 15 minutes outside a great cosmopolitan city, SF, which I worked in....time to mix things up and try something new...and Miami/MB is the ONLY place I can live in FL...have family and friends in Palm Beach and Boca--lovely places that would also bore me within 3 weeks.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-07-2016 at 01:08 PM..

Old 10-10-2016, 04:04 PM

Thought I saw an article earlier this year that took into account median income and socioeconomic factors (such as affordability) for the top 150 cities...here is that link from WalletHub...subjective, and not definitive, findings from one report.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-cities-for-jobs/2173/

Last edited by elchevere; 10-10-2016 at 04:18 PM..

Old 10-11-2016, 07:29 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
First off, until the homeless problem gets fixed downtown it isn't going to ever be more than it is right now. So, either it gets pushed out or fixed and since the problem is there by design (services for the homeless) don't expect anything anytime soon.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:35 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Thought I saw an article earlier this year that took into account median income and socioeconomic factors (such as affordability) for the top 150 cities...here is that link from WalletHub...subjective, and not definitive, findings from one report.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-cities-for-jobs/2173/
SD was #148 out of 150 for job growth. Not good.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
SD was #148 out of 150 for job growth. Not good.
That is why these stats are misleading. high median income but no growth doesn't benefit people who don't already have high incomes. SD's biggest problem is that it is not growing it's economy fast enough to keep up with the growth in cost-of-living. Lack of growth means lack of opportunity for everyone who isn't already wealthy.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:37 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
With good credit and a little capital there are wealth opportunities in real estate here. Don't need a degree or common sense either.

Very low standards... can you change a light bulb and cash a check

Old 10-15-2016, 10:59 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
SD is not even in the top 40 list from 2015.....NYC, SF, LA are-are they shadey cities as well for being on the list....what about Madrid, Istanbul, Dublin, Jakarta--are they only 1%'er, playground, penthouse cities as well???....keep on drinking the Kool Aid...truth is, SD is a sleepy beach town with a 'small city feel' (think small, remain small), content, always has been and always will and isn't on the same stage as these other cities--including Miami or "we're not" LA or any other host of the international cities listed...truth is, they could choose San Diego, but don't (at least not in the same numbers as these 40 cities and very possibly more)--and they're not ignoring the West Coast (see LA and SF)....but you're cool with that, so whatever floats your boat.

http://www.knightfrank.com/resources...es-chapter.pdf
Why would anyone but you be concerned about San Diego not being Inc!uded on a list of world class cities? Do you really think SD deserves to be mentioned alongside NYC, Tokyo and London? We is the 17th largest metro in the country and nothing more.

And it's you who is drinking the Kool Aid since you think Miami is overflowing with wealthy professionals, while at the same time ignoring the credible facts showing it's among the poorest, least educated, lowest paying and most crooked cities in the country.

The most amusing thing to me is that despite being close to retiring, you seem to be most looking forward to clubbing with Miami's tiny\transifional elite community once you get there. Aren't you past the stage of trying to impress people yet? Most people get it out if their system during the 10 year high school reunion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego