Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 07:01 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post

And Fyi, the ordinance will eventually cause the cutting trees issues that you mentioned above as originally when plastic is used along side paper recycling could keep up to avoid making new paper but that would change as paper is now much more widely used and recycling may not be able to keep up. Trees does help with photosynthesis providing clean air. That was one of the reasons we went from paper only to using plastic in the first place.
Cutting down trees planted for paper, which was done,will not hurt at all. There are millions more trees in CA than in the past due to people buying a house and planting them. Plus the ocean is the major source of oxygen, though Trees help a lot.

How much do oceans add to world's oxygen? | Earth | EarthSky

Scientists agree that there’s oxygen from ocean plants in every breath we take. Most of this oxygen comes from tiny ocean plants – called phytoplankton – that live near the water’s surface and drift with the currents. Like all plants, they photosynthesize – that is, they use sunlight and carbon dioxide to make food. A byproduct of photosynthesis is oxygen.

Scientists believe that phytoplankton contribute between 50 to 85 percent of the oxygen in Earth’s atmosphere.

Cuttting down trees will not alter the oxygen content of the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 10:43 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyVVV View Post
Hat tip to bloom for the Springsteen reference.
Thankyouverymuch. I get paid for those kind of posts (in my mind).

Old 04-21-2017, 11:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Yes moved, I live here now. In fact I live right between San Diego and Orange counties though technically part of San Diego county. I used to live in North Cal, but I moved here 2 years ago. When I moved here 2 years ago I was so glad that there was no such bag charge nonsense in stores, and also how clean San Diego County and city is compared to San Jose and the Bay Area where litter is literally knee deep in many areas. I am mad that since Nov of last year this idocracy followed me here so does the spilled litter consequences which was exactly the same as what I witnessed that occurred in the Bay Area few years ago when they started these ban and fee policies locally.
By 'literally', I assume you mean 'figuratively' (e.g. not literally). Or do you have some evidence of knee deep litter in the Bay area?

Old 04-22-2017, 01:43 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
By 'literally', I assume you mean 'figuratively' (e.g. not literally). Or do you have some evidence of knee deep litter in the Bay area?
Literally, and there are plenty of serious evidence to show that it only happened AFTER these ordinances were implemented.

SFDFW actually done litter audits before and after SF passed the nations very first plastic bag ban. And it shows significant increased in amount of garbage particularly other plastics not covered by the ban in the year following the ban there. The city stopped doing the audits after seeing that the truth has backfired.

Google street View images from 2007-today in various parts of the Bay Area also shows how the same areas which had images taken several times a year how those streets went from virtually litter free in the years before a ban to almost a virtual landfill in the years following. The same thing is happening in San Diego these days. Roadsides and freeway shoulders that were clean in the years before SB270 went into effect are now piling up with unsecured litter from garbage trucks.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:04 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
. . .
Google street View images from 2007-today in various parts of the Bay Area also shows how the same areas which had images taken several times a year how those streets went from virtually litter free in the years before a ban to almost a virtual landfill in the years following. The same thing is happening in San Diego these days. Roadsides and freeway shoulders that were clean in the years before SB270 went into effect are now piling up with unsecured litter from garbage trucks.
Except that by my observation the increase in litter in SD well predates the plastic bag ban. My guess is it has more to do with not having enough municipal money for workers to clean it up.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:23 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
I moved here from the Bay Area two years ago and there was hardly any litter for the last two years. Though ever since November litter started pilling up on roadsides and creeksides like never before. And I notice many severe garbage spill traffic hazards after the ban that I never experienced in the two years before the ban.

I run a dash cam out of interest to show how things are different before and after the ban. And had been gathering evidence that hopefully one day some one would look and listen to.

I am certain its not merely coincidential for this evidence to repeat in all these cities after their ordinances or SB270 gets implemented. In other words there is no denying that the ordinance is caught red handed in every way for increased litter from garbage trucks.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:00 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Except that by my observation the increase in litter in SD well predates the plastic bag ban. My guess is it has more to do with not having enough municipal money for workers to clean it up.
They pulled the trashcans from most of the bus stops.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:02 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
"Want to make a difference this Earth Day? Just do your best to cut down on the “single-use plastics” in your life.

That's a clunky term the experts use for all the disposable plastics that we use and discard every day, such as bags, water bottles, coffee cups and food containers. These plastics clog up landfills and pollute our oceans..."

Earth Day 2017: You can help the planet by doing this one little thing - LA Times

Old 05-02-2017, 08:28 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
"Foam containers get battered as they move through the storm drain system, the smaller bits slipping through filters into the ocean. Unlike a littered plastic bag, which may fill with water and sink to the bottom of the sea, plastic foam is buoyant and breaks down into smaller and smaller bite-sized pieces."

It was a perfect California beach day...except for all the plastic pollution - LA Times

Old 05-03-2017, 07:20 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,379 times
Another dismal beaurocratic failure. All we do now is pay for bags that take longer to break down. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego