Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:32 PM

5 posts, read 24,106 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,
Native Nu Yawka here who is considering moving to your beautiful city. Other than the cost of living (pretty much the same as here) i was wondering what other "negatives" people might be able to bring to my attention. I certainly dont want to turn this into a hate San Diego thread i just know that every place has its ups and downs. I would like to have a heads up on some of the downs before i head out there. Me? I am a 35yr old single latin male (supposedly handsome ). I'm a professional bartender with good knowledge of my craft. Been doing food service for 20yrs and tending bar almost 10. So im wondering what the job market is like in my field. Tired of winters and while i dont need an atmosphere as charged as it is here i do enjoy a nice evening out. Dinner, dancing, you get the idea. I tried Orlando for a year and that was a waste of time. Not to mention disgustingly humid. Miami is hopping but slowly turning into a third world country. So any bartenders or food service pros that can tell me what to expect? And what would be the best time of year to make the move there? And what kind of greeting will i get as a conservative Nu Yawka who happens to be a mets fan?

Old 03-05-2008, 01:22 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,978 times
Well yeah.It's a large city.The homeless problem here is one of the worst in the US.Traffic is pretty bad,but it is manageable.The weather is a little bland(330 days of Spring)
The nightlife could be better but that is because SD is it is very laid back.There are plenty of other ones that I can't think of.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:06 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times
gangs who like to graffitti everything in site

Old 03-05-2008, 04:32 PM

376 posts, read 1,866,590 times
Go visit SD. It is beautiful, the weather is beautiful..nightlife fun downtown and can be buzzy. You are conservative..why??? Anyway, SD is known to be more conservative but its California so its not so conservative.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:09 PM

490 posts, read 1,555,443 times
I have several friends who are x-New Yorkers- - - - they like SD fine, I'm sure you'll enjoy it too Lots of upscale clubs around the metro area, you should be able to find work. In SoCal. remember that young/ hot/ edgy is in , slightly older/ "experienced" is not as desirable is in other parts of the country. . .

Old 03-05-2008, 06:30 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,233 times
too many bro's in flip-flops and military a-holes. california coast is full of homeless but so is nyc so nothing new there.

the biggest difference coming from ny is going to be the attitude. people on the west coast are very different and it'll be a challenge at first to figure out the social interaction. on the whole I find new yorkers to be exceptionally friendly and I've lived most of my life in california.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:31 PM

5 posts, read 24,106 times
so far no notable negatives.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:04 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relequin View Post
so far no notable negatives.
There's no real negatives in the short term. Typical big city problems. There are some potential long-term issues but NY's got em' too and they are mostly the same problems.

Traffic is a bit more of a problem out here if you are a commuter.

The "West Coast Attitude" might be your only real obstacle, I've been here 14 years and I still can't figure it out sometimes. A lot of people in San Diego aren't going to figure out that you are from NY without you telling them, they'll just think you're "chatty"

If you are outgoing like an NY'er and not a complainer, you will have a blast and everyone will love you. The CA people love NYC accent impressions and stories about East Coast characters like Vinnie Scungiles down the block and Uncle Anthony and Uncle Joe.

However you will have to get used to the fact that a lot of people think Long Island, Rhode Island, New York and New Jersey are all pretty much the same place. Oh, also don't ask for a hero at a sandwich shop, no one will know what you are talking about.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,399,512 times
San Diego County has very little interesting old-style urban architecture. San Diego was a small city during the first half of the 20th century which makes the supply of older style housing, and neighborhoods designed around people rather than cars very limited. Whole swaths of the county are devoted to suburbs built in the 1960s through the present with limited walkability. If these things aren't a priority for you, than this won't represent a problem.

And I'll have to dispute JKSouthbay's take on the weather. I would put it at 300 days of spring, 45 days of summer, and 15 days of quasi-winter (when it rains, the news stations go CODE RED with predictions of the Apocalypse)

Old 03-05-2008, 11:27 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
gangs who like to graffitti everything in site
I don't think theres that much graffiti.And I live in CV.Places like LA,Philadel,and Phoenix have a lot more than SD does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego