Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 03:40 PM

99 posts, read 368,868 times

Advertisements

Is there a Chinatown in San Diego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 05:21 PM

62 posts, read 542,063 times
nope not even close to it. Barely any good asian food either. There is convoy st. but it really isnt much.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:15 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,126,663 times
No, unfortunately. I have yet to find a really, really good Chinese restaurant in San Diego. I think I got spoiled by NYC, SF and Winnipeg (AMAZING Chinese restaurants in Winnipeg!).

Old 03-12-2008, 10:52 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,577,547 times
I know on either Univ Avenue or EC Blvd in East San has some places.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:24 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,165 times
Try Convoy St in Kearny Mesa.

There are lots of Asian restaurants and stores along many blocks of Convoy St beginning near Clairemont Mesa Blvd and going south well past Balboa Ave.

Here is the exact location:

Convoy St, San Diego, CA 92111, USA - Google Maps

There is also a huge Asian supermarket between Staples and Comp USA at Mercury St, between Convoy St and I-163, around 1 block south of Balboa Ave.

"A Taste of China" has really good Chinese Food, and a great buffet. It's located in Clairemont at Balboa Ave and Genesee Ave, near Blockbuster Video.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:55 AM

812 posts, read 4,084,954 times
Unfortunately, not a very good one. I barely eat Chinese food anymore down here, unfortunately... it's mostly Americanized restaurants, and some Asian markets, which is odd given the somewhat significant Asian population here.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
Unfortunately, not a very good one. I barely eat Chinese food anymore down here, unfortunately... it's mostly Americanized restaurants, and some Asian markets, which is odd given the somewhat significant Asian population here.
It IS odd all things considered! I've never had so much Chinese food that is consistently sweet-tasting. Yuck.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:49 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,743,296 times
Unfortunately, we don't have a Chinatown, but as someone already mentioned, many Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc) restaurants and markets are concentrated along Convoy St. in Kearny Mesa.

I much prefer Vietnamese and Thai to Chinese food. Much more authentic. I agree that many Chinese restaurants, not just here, serve anglocized food (Think PF Changs and Pick Up Stix - yuck!). I've found the most authentic Chinese to be at the restaurants in the 99 Ranch Market on Clairemont Mesa Blvd. There are some little off the beaten path places that I like but I can't tell you, because it won't be my little secret anymore...lol

Old 03-13-2008, 04:51 PM

99 posts, read 368,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Unfortunately, we don't have a Chinatown, but as someone already mentioned, many Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc) restaurants and markets are concentrated along Convoy St. in Kearny Mesa.

I much prefer Vietnamese and Thai to Chinese food. Much more authentic. I agree that many Chinese restaurants, not just here, serve anglocized food (Think PF Changs and Pick Up Stix - yuck!). I've found the most authentic Chinese to be at the restaurants in the 99 Ranch Market on Clairemont Mesa Blvd. There are some little off the beaten path places that I like but I can't tell you, because it won't be my little secret anymore...lol
Anything up in North County?

Old 03-13-2008, 05:07 PM

I'm in North County and the suggestions I got from locals have been chains (Pei-Wei - simply AWFUL and Pickup Stix). I've heard Chins is fairly decent but haven't tried it yet. There are several locations in N County.

Chin's Szechwan Cuisine - Welcome

I forgot that one place I have liked is in Clairemont Mesa - Panda Country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego